New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

To people asking if the new Relics beats the old Starline or Masters of Rock, I have both and the new Relics certainly didn't suck compared to either of those. I spun both last week in anticipation and listened to the new one once last night. With the beautiful new textured cover and upgraded mono tracks, it's going to be hard not to recommend the reissue to everyone, especially considering it's price.

I'm not quite sure the value of my opinion right now as I only heard it once and I'm not great at comparing sound quality. But man it's a really cool LP and I like to share early opinions while there's still some hype. I have a feeling it will be up there with the mono Piper and More when we talk about the best of the reissue series. I like hearing a bit of the BG fairy dust sprinkled on these old singles.

2. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I just listened to Biding My Time from both the Starline and then the new reissue. Neither one is a clear winner after one spin. I noticed that the original has really good bass but the new one thumps even harder. The drums sound a bit boxy on the original, more natural on reissue.

What I'm hearing is typical when comparing UK original Pink Floyd records to the new reissues. The original has a polite organic mastering that still manages to do almost everything right and have some muscle. The new one is very strong and clear, modern sounding, maybe a bit much at the top of the highs and the bottom of the lows. Everything is in balance and some things seem to sound louder in the mix than the original. They both sound awesome. Just one opinion based on one comparison of one song. My Starline is quiet but the new one is silent.

joshm2286, Norco74, Rekkerds and 2 others like this.
  3. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Who else thinks "Eugene" sounds mind blowingly good on this new Relics? Wow! :righton:

Ben Adams, AlexC, Charlie Z. and 2 others like this.
  4. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I think the new one retains some of the original sonic signature. The 2 songs from More sound quite flat (almost monoraul) in comparison to Careful and Binding just as before. The new release as you mentioned has a more ‘opened’ modern sound signature.

joshm2286 and ODShowtime like this.
  5. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

6. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Paintbox shootout

[​IMG]

AlexC and ODShowtime like this.
  7. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

So, who got the Pulse box? Enquiring minds hoping for a price drop want to know.

8. Norco74

$99 CAD on amz.ca

Edit: Oups now at $175 cad

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  9. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

And what did you think on that track? I have the same Mastersof Rock and I’ll be ordering Relics I think.

10. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I did for $80 thru Amazon US. Looks beautiful anf I think it's a bit thinnner than the original release, IIRC. Planning on giving it a spin tomorrow.

joshm2286 likes this.
  11. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Look forward to hearing your thoughts Ron! I've got a nice original, but I'm almost afraid to touch it :crazy:

joshm2286 likes this.
  12. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Pulse sounds great...recommended.

13. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Is the new reissue of Wish You Were Here going OOP

joshm2286 likes this.
  14. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Why?

15. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Prices going up and some online stores are out of stock, which I find odd

joshm2286 likes this.
  16. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

There’s 177 copies of the EU version on discogs...

joshm2286 and Norco74 like this.
  17. Norco74

:biglaugh:Bloody flippers!

18. Charlie Z.

Charlie Z. Forum Resident

I listened to the first 2 LPs of Pulse last night and loved what I heard. This is VERY crankable, and the louder you play it, the better and more revealing it gets. As good as that was, I just finished the 3rd LP and it blows away what I heard on the first two. The Dark Side material sounds majestic!
    This entire Floyd vinyl reissue campaign has been worth every penny.

19. Charlie Z.

Charlie Z. Forum Resident

You're right, Eugene really stood out as I listened for the first time last night.
    I have the blue Starline version and the green label Capitol with the face cover to compare to. For me, this new one stands above them both.

Rekkerds likes this.
  20. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

All my opinion of course based on a couple back and forths on my OK gear but...

Honestly, I'm really liking the new press "Paintbox" vs the Masters version. Even though it's cut from digital mastering, it sounds like the source is a lower gen than the track on Masters, and for lack of a better description, benefited from the Bernie-dust mastering. Nice definition and pleasant top, middle and bottom end. It's a really nice listen on this well pressed vinyl, and a highlight along with "Eugene" and "Biding My Time" for me.

Won't be ditching my Masters Of Rock just yet though. :cheers:

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    joshm2286, Vinylfindco and ODShowtime like this.
  21. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Sounds like I am going to get a new copy of Relics

joshm2286 likes this.
  22. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

What's that Masters of rock that you guys talk about? I've never heard of it. Is it a bootleg?

23. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

My favourite store didn't receive Relics yet, but my second favourite store has a zillion of them. I'll wait until next week; talk about a loyal dog :nyah:

Norco74 likes this.
  24. Pink Floyd - Masters Of Rock

25. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

Yeah, I was planning to sit the new Relics out since I already have a clean early UK Starline, but all these positive reviews and talk of BG fairy dust is too much to resist! I'm gonna have to check this new one out.