New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

Played Pulse and Relics this afternoon on my trusty old LP12, I have to say both sound fantastic.
    Gary

2. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I played side 1 of Relics this morning and I wondered why on Earth did they put the regular LP version of Interstellar Overdrive and not an edit ? It’s too long ! I also happen to prefer the mono mix... anyway side 1 sounds great and the cover is beautiful.

Rekkerds and tinnox like this.
  3. Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68 Well-Known Member

Played the firs two records of Pulse last night, very impressed with it, US pressing by Record Industry. Virtually no surface noise, just a few crackles after putting it thru my RCM, very good bass, the drum kick on One Of These Days was phenomenal!!!
    I will play the other 2 records tonight. Then probably get Relics in tomorrow

Ed

4. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

An edit? Seriously? Editing songs totally ruins them, in my opinion. The 16 minute version of Echoes on the best of album, for instance, is awful to listen to, and an utter disrespect to the song itself. Either include the songs in their original length, or don't include them at all. Think about it - what if the guitar solo on Comfortably Numb was edited?

5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

That would be an analogous situation if "Interstellar Overdrive" had a real song structure, but it's (intentionally) loosely structured improvisation

joshm2286 likes this.
  6. djost

djost Hyperactive!

I agree with you 100%. Well put.

7. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Interstellar Overdrive was always the full version, so I don't see why they would put an edit.
    However saying this, instead of Relics I would have preferred a new release with all non-album tracks on it, but this is what we got and I can't wait to open it up on my Birthday next month along with Obscured By Clouds, that will be everything from Piper to Momentary Lapse, as far as studio albums are concerned anyway. I have the live albums on CD and that will probably be ok for me, I can't afford $100 for Pulse. Very happy with these reissues though, I just want a copy of the mono Piper.

8. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

You can afford it if you really want it, I'm sure. It's just a matter of prioritizing. You just have to live on a slightly tighter budget for a month.:)

Jimbo912 likes this.
  9. Colocally

Yeah and I prioritise other things over it.

10. Tom Holvey

Tom Holvey Forum Resident

Thinking of pulling the trigger on Pulse, does it sounds good? Anyone listened to it all the way through?

11. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

In a word, yes!

I don’t own an original to compare but the set is nicely done, vinyl is super quiet and sounds great.

Gary

Tom Holvey likes this.
  12. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks I did not think Interstellar Overdrive was edited on my old copies of Relics. I am pleased with the Floyd vinyl reissue programme - the records, sound packaging etc are faithful to the originals and in my opinion are often of a higher quality (especially things like the black bag for WYWH). Hopefully now the programme is nearly done there maybe new compilations of rarities etc. Oh and a mono Saucerful of course.
    Hopefully Pulse will drop a bit in price and stay in print as the other reissues seem to have done. Trouble is (for a gumby like me) Floyd are still very popular and like Bowie and The Stones they seem to get bigger each year. I keep expecting to see the Pig flying above Buckingham Palace.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    joshm2286 likes this.
  13. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

PULSE sounds amazing. The sound is so BIG and sound stage so WIIIIDE! I had to check my amp a few times to make sure that it wasn't set to some faux surround mode. Flat, quiet vinyl. I never bought the original LPs and havve nothing to compare it to, I always figured I'd just listen to the DVD so why buy the LPs? Well now I know what I've been missing all this time. LOVE this release!!!

14. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Has anyone compared this against the original vinyl yet..? Is there any earthly reason why I should want a copy of the new issue given that I already have the original vinyl?

The sensible answer has to be "no", but I still find myself looking at the online listings for the new one... Maybe I'm simply beyond redemption....

LivingForever likes this.
  15. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Yes, I agree. I've only had time to listen to the few songs, but it's truly amazing sounding release.
    I've never heard the original-pressing, but this new one will be the one go to version of the live-album.
    Even my wife was amazed as she heard few songs from the live-album. Im so looking forward to listening to the set in full.

rontoon likes this.
  16. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident

No, no,no,no,no you didn't just say that........
    There goes my rational reason for not wanting this!

rontoon likes this.
  17. HankM

HankM Senior Member

Waiting for my Pulse set to arrive. This will be my first Floyd on vinyl (have the SACD releases along with The Wall Immersion Box). Looking to pickup the latest remasters of Animals, WYYH, DSOTM, The Wall, MLOR. Also what can be said about Delicate Sound Of Thunder, I use to play the hell out of my VHS copy back in the day, it was my first foray into Pink Floyd.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    drum_cas and Szeppelin75 like this.
  18. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

And as I forgot to mention Relics at all in my last post (as got so hyped over the amazement of Pulse) it's also very good pressing and sounds great. Also I like RSD-release for "A Piper At The Gates Of Dawn".
    I have all the reissues in the series (EU-editions) so far and Im completely satisfied with them. Even if I have few different pressings/editions of the albums already (on cd and vinyl) it's nice to have the catalogue in pristine and great sounding vinyl-reissues.

andrewskyDE, Jam757, Rekkerds and 2 others like this.
  19. AlexC

AlexC Forum Resident

Eugene and Biding My Time are the two greatest improvement of the new Relics... spectacular and unmissable.

Rekkerds and Ben Adams like this.
  20. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

In what way?

21. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

On Relics, yes, it was always the full version. (It was a bold move to put it right after Arnold Layne on the first side, could scare off novices.) They could have put the 'French edit' (the shortened version without overdubs, as released on a French EP) on there back then, making room for Apples and Oranges. Or Point Me At The Sky. Or Embryo. Or...

andrewskyDE likes this.
  22. Colocally

Oh I don't disagree, I feel having four album tracks was a bit much considering there was so many tracks omitted. That is why I would have preferred a fresh compilation.

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  23. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I wish the track listing was more like the Masters of Rock comp. I miss Candy and a Current Bun and Apples and Oranges. Why put those soundtrack cuts on Relics and not these early tracks that aren’t on any LP. I always thought the song list was strange on Relics.

andrewskyDE, Rekkerds and Colocally like this.
  24. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I agree, Relics is a bit of puzzle. It's basically a couple of singles padded out with previously released album tracks. I suspect that EMI was a bit reticent to release "Candy And A Currant Bun" and "Apples and Oranges" because they're both so "out there", and "Candy" has what sounds like an attempt to smuggle in the F-word. Don't know why they included stuff like "Cirrus Minor" and not "Point Me At The Sky" though.

Of course, Masters Of Rock strangely starts with "Chapter 24", so it seems that EMI just didn't know what to do with a comp for these guys.

Colocally likes this.
  25. I think Relics is one of the great comps, sort of like the Doors Weird Scenes. Very enjoyable without having all the obvious hit choices

andrewskyDE, Gez, Jam757 and 3 others like this.