New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I love Relics, but personally, I would have preferred a vinyl release of The Early Singles, which, even on cd, was only available within the context of the Shine On box set, or the individual tracks on The Early Years.

2. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

3. Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68 Well-Known Member

^^^
    Wow what interesting commentary

4. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

Why is Relics so expensive on Amazon? The earlier releases weren't this expensive.

5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

6. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I respectfully disagree.

andrewskyDE, polchik, tkl7 and 2 others like this.
  7. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

You know it’s just a collection of random songs. If 45 years ago they released it with all the missing songs and without the superfluous albums tracks and now they were going to release it as we know it there’d be groups of people with flaming torches.

Stop quoting me, it’s not that I don’t like Relics, I just think we deserve something better without having to spend $400. I’ve wanted some of that stuff in the big box set for 30 years and when they finally deem to release it they do it so normal people can’t afford it.

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  8. The big box has fluxuated in price and has been as low at $240 for a time. You can also buy the individual modules so you don’t have to break the bank all at once. Or sick away a few bucks each month until you have enough.

I don’t confuse Relics with something that doesn’t exist.

andrewskyDE, polchik and rontoon like this.
  9. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

What exactly is being wasted? Is there an element called Pinkfloydium that exists in finite supply, that can be prematurely exhausted due to repressing Relics?

polchik and Mazzy like this.
  10. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I had that box as an 18 year old fast food employee. #stonerpriorities

polchik, Hattipper, rontoon and 4 others like this.
  11. Colocally

I would prefer no duplication when there are other tracks that could do with rereleasing. What’s so hard to understand about that ? Don’t be condescending.

Kind of sick of being ganged up on for having an opinion.

steviebee and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  12. Colocally

Good for you. Some of us have responsibilities.

13. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Yeah, lets definitely call this what it is - you're being e-bullied on the internet over your views on Pink Floyd early material compilations. No reason to sugar coat it. Just pure meanness, really.

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  14. Your opinion about creating a new record of outtakes is totally valid and many of us would also love to see that happen.

Our continuous comments are about the Pink Floyd Reissue series that duplicates all the original albums as they were created in vinyl first. Relics was one of those albums that originally was released while the band was active so changing tracks and calling it Relics would totally defeat that concept.

But as we finish this reissue program I think we’d all be in for what you are suggesting .

We are not ganging up on you personally. The vinyl reissue and recreation of their original catalog is what’s happening first.

15. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I think the only reason people are getting upset because of your inflammatory statements like:

"What worked 40 years ago doesn’t work now. Except for nostalgia."

"I have Bike etc obviously most people don’t mine being short changed."

This is basically calling the rest of us gullible idiots. I think we respectfully disagree.

And for the record... I'd love the rest of the singles released on vinyl as well.

In the meanwhile, I'm going to go play Relics again. Just to see if I'm a fool or if it still sounds as good to me as it did yesterday. ;)

16. Colocally

This is Pink Floyd. It’ll never Happen.

Just something I’ve wanted for 30 years. I get fed up of being given scraps. Thankfully we can make our own compilations.

17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Yeah, if there is one thing we've learned about Pink Floyd its that we can't really count on them to reissue material or release compilations.

polchik and rontoon like this.
  18. Well they have had at least three complications not including the massive box

19. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

20. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

The only think I don't like about this Relics vinyl reissue is the black-white cover (I know it's blasphemy to say that). I like the coloured cover that was used for the cd better. But I guess the black-white will grow on me eventually. The vinyl itself is flawless, and that's what counts!

JeffMo, andrewskyDE and superstar19 like this.
  21. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

The Relics reissue sounds pretty great, especially “Careful With That Axe Eugene” and “Biding My Time.”

The packaging for Pulse is incredible, I’ll be spinning it for the first time tonight.

22. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

Just got my copy of Pulse this week. You won't be disappointed.

23. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Loving the new reissue of Relics.

24. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I can’t sit through another one of this guy’s joyless videos.

hi_watt, Norco74 and violetvinyl like this.
  25. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

So...considering this thread is 567 pages, I'm hoping someone can give me a quick capsule answer to this: is there a general consensus here as to the quality of these Pink Floyd reissues? Are they worth picking up?