New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. AlexC

AlexC Forum Resident

to sum it up:
    -if you already own the catalog, they make great inexpensive backups (most of these are already on sale).
    -if you don't, get them all.

2. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Detail schmetail. The reissues are immaculate. That's all there is to it.

rontoon, Echoes Myron and andrewskyDE like this.
  3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

This is why I still frequent the Forum. A clearly rhetorical question is nevertheless answered with civility and real information.

Anyway, I bought the Japan reissue of DSOTM and the EU reissue of WYWH, and was pleased

Efus, superstar19 and Echoes Myron like this.
  4. AlexC

AlexC Forum Resident

are they coming with the OBI and extra materials (lyrics sheets)?

5. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

i bought first up to animals as i only had beat up boot sale copies previously. so I'm really happy with them

6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Yes, but it is the standard Imported pressing.

7. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I bought new pressing of WYWH and discovered that I cannot listen to this record any more. May be after 1000 times my mind revolted.
    No issues with sound quality, I will try again in a year.

eyeCalypso likes this.
  8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Disagree. I’d say it’s not only possible, but likely the mono Piper will get released. My guess is it will be released without the same packaging for the holiday season (thus no longer exclusive) or perhaps after the Saucerful mono gets released next RSD to keep up the ruse these are only going to be RSD releases.

Tommyboy likes this.
  9. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Normally I'd agree with you, but RSD Exclusive titles have an absolutely flawless record of going back into print. That's why they separate them between Exclusive and First Release...First Release titles get released again eventually, Exclusives don't.

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

If only that was true. They use colored vinyl or different packaging as a way to claim exclusivity and then release it later. Which is what I wrote.

11. Zapruder

That's for First Release titles, generally...at least that's how it has been since I've started ordering.

12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Once again, they change the product somehow - and voila, it’s no longer the same as the RSD exclusive version.

My guess is that’s why they used a slipcover over the normal outer sleeve instead of a unique sleeve - the regular release will be exactly the same except missing the RSD “exclusive” slipcover.

13. Zapruder

Yeah, I understand what you're saying, and I'm saying that is usually NOT the case. With RSD-First titles, they will be on colored vinyl or something to denote them as such. RSD Exclusives don't get reissued; participating labels are contractually forbidden from doing this if they want to continue participating.

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

And I’m saying you’re mistaken. RSD firsts are often (but not always) exactly the same product - think Neil Young’s Decade. Exclusive’s are sometimes exactly that, but also sometimes get released later on an other format or without the poster or colored vinyl or other goodie which was made it a RSD exclusive.

15. Zapruder

Alright, we'll have to agree to disagree here. I still sincerely doubt we will see a reissue of the mono Piper any time soon.

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It’s not a matter of disagreeing. Facts are facts. And the facts and evidence point to the odds of a reissue being better than “not remotely likely”.

17. Zapruder

Ok, well, let's give it another 10 years or so.

18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

A year or so should be enough.

19. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

I've experienced this plenty with many different albums. Absolute favorite life-changing albums no longer carry the emotional weight they once did for me and my mind just glosses over while listening for the 1001th time.

20. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Sadly my copy of Piper Mono was cancelled, so never got it at that amazing price of just about retail, but from Amazon.
    I have a feeling this won't get rereleased, or if it does it won't be for a few years. Which sucks, but I won't pay the prices the flippers want for it. I will settle for the 2007 CD for the time being.

21. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

Rekkerds and Norco74 like this.
  22. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Absolutely agree. A really good vinyl reissue programme of the Floyd albums.

23. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

I actually just found an opened NM 30th Anniv. DSOTM - I passed on the reissue because it was the same exact price. I guess I can always pick up the recent BG reissue if I find it's too hot.

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  24. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

So anyone excited for Foot in the Door vinyl reissue?

25. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

Not really..... I already have the songs on other albums. Is it any different to the other releases.