New Prince: 4Ever (2016) & Purple Rain Deluxe (2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BlueGangsta, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

But in this case it actually makes sense to include all the mixes as part of documenting the album. Those were the singles that rose up the charts, no better opportunity for a comprehensive set of the mixes. The extended mix of Erotic City, and some of these other mixes have never been on CD before. I do believe it's complete. Disc 3 looks incredible and though the Syracuse concert isn't one of the best of the tour it's a no-brainer. Certainly hoping First Avenue is included as well...

2. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

Yes, it is definitely complete. To clear up confusion, the only tracks to my knowledge that have never appeared on an official CD are "God" (UK 12" instrumental), "Baby I'm A Star" (single edit), and "Another Lonely Christmas" (12" version). The others have appeared on CD from master tape source, although some are long out of print, like the 12" mixes of "Erotic City" and "I Would Die 4 U," which are both on the European CD single from the late '80s/early '90s (can't recall the copyright date offhand). Regardless, these will presumably be newly remastered for CD by Grundman and collected all in one convenient place.

Jayseph and Lands End Drums like this.
  3. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

Or to let bootleg collectors know it's not one of the previously known / circulated rehearsals. With him having as much content already available on those avenues, a lot of collectors get the mindset "oh I already have all that stuff." Putting (Studio Version) at the end lets those people know it is, in fact, something unheard.

4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Wonder if an edited version of Let's Go Crazy (without the opening) will be on the Purple Rain Deluxe album.

5. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

The 7" version is listed on disc 2 with all the other single edits from the album.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

I just read all the bitching on Prince.org about the single edits being included. When you really break it down, only 6 of the 15 tracks on disc 2 are single edits of songs on the original album. The others that are labeled "single edit" are songs that are essential to PR and would be a glaring omission if left off: Erotic City, 17 Days, God (Vocal), and Another Lonely Christmas. Leaving one of those off would be nearly as criminal as leaving off the album versions of the original 9 tracks.

7. robbie77

robbie77 New Member

You must no very little out of what is available .No demos with extra verses. No associated artist songs .Too few unreleased songs . Most people want an enjoyable release. They are giving us only 5 discs.Maybe if giving us a10 disc release they can be on it. but for me 7" can go. we do not need 5 x let's go crazy across 5 discs you are just going to bore people. If we have another lonely Christmas 12" how many times will you listen to 7" on same disc same with erotic city just keep the long version. What you going to say when gold experience deluxe comes out Do you want 20 versions of most beautiful girl. You can cry all you want about historical significance but most are in it for enjoyment. Not to interested in sound quality improvements as again nice but hardly excitement city .On prince.org they know what was possible. We have just had 4ever etc no real interest in shorter versions. They can keep 17days etc on though like you say as only on once . It just depends weather you want to bore people with an historical document or make it enjoyable by having different songs. 3 out of 4 discs have already been released officially we do not want same thing over and over. They can fill the first disc too. People have been brainwashed by record companys with this historical significance crap as they are too lazy to fill the first disc. It's called given you as little new material as possible.

8. robbie77

robbie77 New Member

Electric intercourse replaced by beautiful ones and computer blue hallway speech So they were considered for purple rain.
    Anyway fargnoli who directed purple rain choose from around 200 songs for purple rain release I imagine probably that was more or less all the unreleased songs prince had.
    Fargnoli said baby I'm a star demo better than released version
    Why our destiny and roadhouse garden are done as 1 song is daft. Roadhouse garden was supposed to be album which according to prince was the best revolution album. It would have contained our destiny witness, splash, wonderful ass , empty room probably neon telephone, teacher teacher.
    Anyway this is disappointing release. Mainly due to disc 2 and syracuse.about 7 x 7 " can go. keep 17 days ,god though.
    To the guy asking about if he should buy it for tracks on disc 3 . Disc 3 if it came out as an album would be one of prince's best .
    They should have been shooting greatest release of alltime and it was easy to achieve that . But too many 7"edits have probably killed it and made it a bit too boring at least for me anyway.

sparkmeister likes this.
  9. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

Thank you for the explanation. I'm happy to finally be getting something.

10. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

It's very late for pre-order links to go up for a June release.. anyone got any more news on a release date given the tracklist leak this week?

11. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

It does seem odd that the extended versions of "The Beautiful Ones" and "Darling Nikki" (and any other extended songs, do "Baby I'm a Star" and "Take Me with You" also exist as longer versions?) didn't make the track list. These seem like ideal inclusions in a set like this. There is roughly thirty-five minutes of available space on disc one that could easily be filled with something.

kanno1ae likes this.
  12. robbie77

robbie77 New Member

No Demos at all is odd . I think darling Nikki and take me with u are a bit too similar. May be they could have added manic Monday by Appollonia and Wednesday.
    Baby I'm a star, purple rain , beautiful ones demos seemed obvious choices

13. SinisterGinger

SinisterGinger Forum Resident

Maybe the omissions of extended versions of album cuts and tracks like Wednesday is simply down to them not being able to source the master tapes yet for those tracks. Just a theory.

14. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

Gotta hold stuff back for the 40th anniversary, and the 50th and the 60th and...

SinisterGinger likes this.
  15. SinisterGinger

SinisterGinger Forum Resident

Exactly!! Personally I'm waiting for the Super deluxe 15th anniversary of the 40th anniversary box set with miniature motorbike and First Avenue. :laugh:

Lands End Drums likes this.
  16. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident Thread Starter

Every time Fargnoli is interview, the number get's bigger.

Well, it's leaked. It's nice to listen to, but better? No.

Roadhouse Garden was never completed. It wasn't even a project until the 90s.

17. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

I'm not an expert on outtakes and demos. Sorry!

Would've been nice to have these, but maybe they haven't located them yet?

Presumably, this was because of licensing. Purple Rain, although technically a soundtrack, has always been treated like a proper Prince album. It's never been a "various artists" soundtrack and probably never will be. Just a guess.

I'm sure we will get more unreleased songs in time, and I'll be one of the first in line to buy them! Frankly, I think it's pretty great to get 11 unreleased songs, plus the 12-minute version of "Computer Blue." I do agree with those who said it would've been nice to have the full-length "Darling Nikki" and "The Beautiful Ones." I was really hoping for those to be included.

Yeah, I might have sequenced it a little different, if it were up to me. I do, however, think it's important to include the single versions somewhere (both 7" and 12"), and it makes sense to have them all represented on disc 2 IF they actually did it this way. Remember, the posted track list is just a guess based on ISRC codes that have been recently registered. Having worked as a part-time mastering engineer, I can say that sometimes those ISRC numbers do not follow sequentially with the final track list.

It's easy to sit here on a message board and gripe about it, but we don't know how or why those decisions were made. We also have to remember that we are super-hardcore diehard Prince fans. This release is aimed at a much wider audience than just us. I'd bet only a very small percentage of Prince's very large fan base has ever heard ANY of the outtakes that will be released.

npgchris likes this.
  18. robbie77

robbie77 New Member

Yes easy for mr to gripe maybe they could not get the stuff who knows. Sorry for saying fargnoli in post it was director Albert magnoli I meant. Anyway according to commentary on purple rain he choose the songs together with prince and he picked from 200. Just a bit disappointed due to all hype.

19. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Yes, that the full lenghts versions of "The Beautiful Ones" and "Darling Nikki" are not included is really the only complaint I have have about this tracklist. Sure, I have no use for all the short 7" versions, but at least they also added the extended versions. And even though I have most of them, it might be nice to have them remastered and with consistent overall sound. To me the CDs from the 80s sound kinda thin and bright, so a slightly modernized sound could do a lot of good imo (as long as it's not too heavily compressed).

npgchris likes this.
  20. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I was really hoping for the longer version of Take Me With U, which only exists on bootlegs in really bad quality. At least the boots have high quality versions of the longer edits of The Beautiful Ones and Darling Nikki. The longer (8:42) version of Erotic City could use a sonic upgrade as well.

BlueGangsta likes this.
  21. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

Someone over at .org with inside information says:
    I'm no expert on these songs, but maybe the reason they are joined together on one track goes back to what I mentioned before about Purple Rain not being a "various artists" album.
    My understanding is that it's not that simple. As soon as you include songs by other artists, you have to treat the entire project differently. It would no longer be a solo Prince album, like it has been since 1984. That might be a possible explanation as to why "Our Destiny" is joined with "Roadhouse Garden" on one track--to prevent "Our Destiny" from becoming a Lisa Coleman solo recording on its own track. I could be completely wrong, though. These are only educated guesses based on what I know about licensing (which is not extensive knowledge by any means).

22. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Agreed. For selfish reasons, I don't mind not getting the long versions of TBO and Nikki in this set because I already have them, and SQ is as good or better as the original PR CD.
    But TMWU sounds like it's sourced from a bad tape dub, so getting the extended version of that in decent quality would be nice.
    I'll be honest.... Erotic City didn't really need an extra minute or so! I think the official extended version is definitive.

And finally... Manic Monday being released officially is a great idea in theory, but the circulating version is terrible. Quite frankly, Apollonia's vocals are awful, and it kills the track dead. I'd love to hear a Prince only version but I don't think it exists....

Jayseph and daveidmarx like this.
  23. At this point I would laugh if this wasn't even the tracklist. Who says it's even so? WB has been very quiet. Usually if something has "leaked," a record company and/or artist would be quick to make their own announcement to deflect the leaked one.

That said, hmmm... I've decided to temper my expectations of any vault releases until the ones sancitioned by Prince's estate.

24. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

It's my understanding they sent a cease and desist to the website that "leaked" the tracklist. That's pretty close to a confirmation, though I agree with you - we have nothing official from WB.

25. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

If we are talking about the 3 disc 1 DVD press release it is real

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.