New Prince: 4Ever (2016) & Purple Rain Deluxe (2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BlueGangsta, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

So only 1 DVD? Thought it was supposed to be 2.

2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

its listed as 2 on the press release

3. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Only the Syracuse concert

4. Matthew Tate

whats on the other dvd mentioned in the press releases?

5. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident Thread Starter

The press release says 2 albums of unreleased material and 2 concert movies.

There has been NO verification or indication of what those concert movies will be.

6. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Are we supposed to believe that the director of Purple Rain actually took the time to listen to 200 Prince songs for possible inclusion in the film? Sounds kinda far-fetched to me.

What makes more sense is, Prince narrowed it down to 20 or 30, and the two of them decided together which ones were the most suitable for the film. I'm guessing Magnoli was told by Prince that he had chosen these songs out of 200 that he had written and/or recorded, and that's where he's getting that figure from. But as I'm sure he had plenty of work to do to get the movie up and running, taking the time necessary to listen to that many songs doesn't seem feasible, to me.

7. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

He used to say that Prince gave him 100 songs to choose from. My guess is that that was also way too high.

MikaelaArsenault and npgchris like this.
  8. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Only 1 DVD, and only 1 CD of unreleased material plus the remastered album and cd of single edits and 12" mixes. For a total of 3 cd's and 1 Dvd

9. Matthew Tate

you seem to have info different from everyone else. everything i read keeps saying a 5 disc set, 3 cd's and 2 dvd's

10. robbie77

robbie77 New Member

It will be 2 dvd so do not worry. They are just giving info out a little at a time. You could put your house on it being first avenue 83 benefit show.
    Syracuse is a disappointing choice but obvious as it was released officially.
    Concerning our destiny /roadhouse garden. Prince used the live 84 birthday show were they segued into each other and worked on it. Not really sure it should be one track . Maybe you hit nail on the head about trying to pass it off as a prince track. Maybe they do not have same contract on associated stuff . Some say warner are having trouble getting stuff from estate due to universal paying 30 million for unreleased stuff . Oh well maybe this is best they can do . A pity as this should have been the flagship prince release. and a way to please older fans and get new fans onside .

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

I can't imagine there being a rights issue on Roadhouse / Our Destiny. Even if Wendy and/or Lisa have writing credit on it, the album is a P& the Revolution album. I'd think that would cover it. And they'll be getting a check from it for the performance at the very least.
    I'm really hoping one of the films is the benefit show and the masses finally get to hear the extra (though unnecessary) verse in Purple Rain. I also hope they don't "Led Zeppelin" the concerts and cut / splice it all to hell. The first time I heard that show, I was blown away - I'd never known that it was base tracks for the album.
    Syracuse is in, I'm sure, because it's an easy one. It's already been released and it should only take some cleaning up to be ready.

12. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I saw The Revolution last night in Chicago (side note: stellar show). They played the "Our Destiny/Roadhouse Garden" medley. Really great to hear then play it.

Go see The Revolution. You won't be disappointed.

13. DVD? So 1990s. I know po' people who have 1080p TVs and Blu Ray.

They're really not gonna drop the blu rays on us? Pfffttt!

kanno1ae and JasonA like this.
  14. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

The shows were undoubtedly shot on video so there would be no advantage to including a blu-ray in terms of visual fidelity.

Purple Jim, Bowieboy, DiabloG and 3 others like this.
  15. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

This is all speculation at this point, anyway, but it wouldn't surprise me if they offer an alternate version with Blu-ray's in place of DVD's, and charge more for it. As edenofflowers just stated, the visual differences are marginal, at best, given the resolution of the source material. But Blu-ray does give you definite advantages in the audio department, so hopefully they will offer a Blu option.

bbanderic likes this.
  16. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

What press release are you talking about?

Didn't that inside source on the .org confirm that Syracuse is included? Not a proper "verification" of course, since there has been no official announcement, but it's definitely an "indication".

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    CBackley likes this.
  17. But ripping that audio for my own personal use, yep.

Stallings and Mr. H like this.
  18. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

They have to have a Blu-ray option, even if it's SD Blu-ray, the main benefit of that would be a lossless audio track.

npgchris likes this.
  19. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I would pay full box set price for a high quality First Ave. video alone, that's really all I care about, everything else is just bonus for me.

20. BlueGangsta

As far as I can tell, there hasn't been any specification for an amount of discs or formats. I'll try this again...

[​IMG]

Does it say discs? NO. Does it say DVDs? NO. Does it say BluRays? NO.

21. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

And your point is what exactly??

I think everyone here is well aware that nothing concrete has been announced yet. It's called speculation. It's what fans do, absent specifics, when they have time on their hands.

22. BlueGangsta

Clearly not.

Grant likes this.
  23. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

OK, so the first person (GLUDFSSR) seems to think they know what's going to be on this. That's one person. Everyone else, including the other two people you quoted, are engaging in speculation, as I already stated. Until anything official is confirmed, that's all we can do. There's no reason for you to be argumentative about it, at this point. But from reading some of your posts in the past, it seems you enjoy doing just that.

24. Heh. Yeah, I'm not going to put on the silly hat and break out the party favors until I read a release date from WB.

Until then, I'm not believing it's even coming out. I've been let down way too many times before regarding anything being released from Prince Land.

For all we know Prince put Neil Young in charge of his vaults.

Freek999, CBackley and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. BlueGangsta

Okay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.