New Prince: 4Ever (2016) & Purple Rain Deluxe (2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BlueGangsta, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Very much so.

2. Are these hot Grundman masters modern recordings, or remastering vintage stuff?

3. Both really, but his knack for brickwalling and compression is very apparent on his post-80s work.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Both. Remember, though, Bernie isn't the only one who masters in his studio.

Bernie Grundman was probably the best choice because he, and those in his mastering studio, have done the lion's share of classic Prince albums.

I was alarmed by a reviewer's words. I just don't know how knowledgeable or experienced that reviewer is with audio, and the way music is mastered. For all we know, he could be imagining the remaster sounds bright and more defined. I'll certainly buy the remaster, but i'm quite nervous about it.

whisperinwind21 and EVOLVIST like this.
  5. Right. Good points. I guess I just keeping back to his recent work with the Hendrix estate and how good his remasters of classic posthumous Hendrix sounds . But, I guess you're not going to get that every time. As for me, I'm not really buying it for the album, proper, though a good sounding would be great. The HD Tracks masters of all of those albums are choice. I guess we'll see. Looking forward to it though (hopefully not in vain).

Grant and azjvm05 like this.
  6. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

not to go off subject, but rewatching those Lovesexy tour snippets from Youtube, I do hope I live to see the day that Camden Palace after show and others like it comes out on Blu-Ray, and CD set . . .

BlueGangsta likes this.
  7. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Bernie Grundman (and I'm a fan of his work) mastered the recent Jimi Hendrix release "Machine Gun - Fillmore East First Show 12/31/69". Two redbook versions exist, the standard CD and the redbook layer on the Analog Productions SACD. Interestingly enough, the mastering is more dynamic on the SACD redbook layer than the standard CD. The waveforms appear to show some digital limiting on the standard CD where there is none on the SACD (the DR values differ by a few points, but the mastering appears to be the same). Of course I have no idea if this was a conscious decision or if Mr. Grundman had no say over what was done to his work once it was handed over to the label. I'm just glad I have the SACD in this case. Fingers crossed that Purple Rain deluxe has been well mastered and sounds good!

Edit: The Rainbow Bridge and Cry Of Love CDs before that, however, sound excellent and appear to have no excessive digital limiting applies (DR scores look good).

8. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

"Our Destiny/Roadhouse Garden" is up on Spotify as well.

ad180 likes this.
  9. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

If "Electric Intercourse" on Spotify is any indication, the PR remaster should be very good.

HotelYorba101 and JasonA like this.
  10. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Here's unboxing video. It seems it really exists!!

rednax, thekid87, Grant and 5 others like this.
  11. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

He got his early!

Rule of thumb for anything released: Those that get it early don't have a chance to play it until the weekend at the earliest. Those that get it Friday or delayed want it now! ;)

Max Florian and JasonA like this.
  12. sdldawn

sdldawn Forum Resident

Hope mine shows up early

13. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

Record company delivery arrived this afternoon so I took a quick look at the DVD good sound quality and less of a purple haze than before. Never realised that during the epic solo on Purple Rain he continues in full flow while assending and desending a set of stairs and never takes a look at the placement of his fingers. Genius.
    I have to visit family this evening so I won't get to hear the studio material until some point tomorrow. The DVD and booklet live in the same end section with the 3 CDs tightly packed in the inner sleeve pockets. Would be great to have had the same packaging as the similarly priced Jethro Tull set of a month ago but it's fine considering the price.

Matthew Tate and englishbob like this.
  14. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

FRIDAY!

15. sdldawn

sdldawn Forum Resident

oh man. Mine still is supposed to be here on Friday. if any of you decide to rip it I would love a link to hear it. I can't wait

16. Grant

I'll just buy mine at Target on Friday.:shrug:

17. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Will this even be at Target? It's been so long since I gave up buying new releases at stores like this that I just assume they won't have it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. sdldawn

sdldawn Forum Resident

it should be

19. Grant

Of course they will! They have The Beatles, too. I even spotted Neil Diamond's new 50th Anniversary CD there last night.

Galley likes this.
  20. sdldawn

sdldawn Forum Resident

yeah the higher priority albums target will have. If it was an indie album I would say try elsewhere.

Grant likes this.
  21. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

I just checked the Target ad, shows PR remaster for $12.99, but no mention of deluxe versions.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

Target adverstised the standard version but didn't mention the deluxe in their ad. So They may have it ... they might not. Best Buy advertised multiple versions.

For those who may already have it can you comment on audio quality of the DVD? I'd assume it is Stereo 2.0 PCM ?

JasonA likes this.
  23. sdldawn

sdldawn Forum Resident

24. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

I wanted to buy the Sgt. Pepper remix 2 CD set at Target on the day of release (for a great price) so I went in at about 8:15 AM and they only had 2 copies.
    I bought both - one for me, one for a friend.
    Just warning you folks - stores don't exactly stock up on these items for day-of-release sales - go early!

groovelocked, Galley and azjvm05 like this.
  25. Grant

If I recall, Target didn't advertise the Deluxe CD set of Sgt. Pepper, either, but they have it, and it's the only one I find there.

All I need is the 2-CD set. I don't need the DVD. If Target won't have it, I can always check Best Buy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.