New Prince: 4Ever (2016) & Purple Rain Deluxe (2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BlueGangsta, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

I don't think I have ever seen those promo videos!

2. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

I haven't either, but it appears they were released on the 2-disc Special Edition Purple Rain DVD.

englishbob likes this.
  3. englishbob

Ha - I have that in the back on my collection! I never noticed them on disc2, I may of just skimmed them and seen that one and just skipped it, mistaking it for the other Syracuse show!

Spinning now, both IWD4U and BIAS are played as part of the same promo, its nearly 18 minutes long! Bonus ;)

kanno1ae likes this.
  4. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

So, this is finally out and the thread is silent?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

6. HanowarHAIL

HanowarHAIL Forum Resident

7. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nope. Someone started another thread for some reason.

Prince - Purple Rain Deluxe Edition 2017

8. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

This thread is huge.

Is there any update about Prince 4ever on vinyl? Some sites say it's coming out in August. But when I searched Amazon earlier, I found nothing. Is this legit?

9. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Maybe I missed it in another thread, but has there been any talk about a re-release/deluxe edition series for the Prince archives and back catalog?

I would love to see him do a box set series like they are doing with Bowie's back catalog.

10. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Probably nothing until the estate's legal problems are all settled:
    Prince Estate Prepares For Third Administrator

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. djej

djej Forum Resident

ad180 and superstar19 like this.
  12. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

13. DazNEUK

DazNEUK Well-Known Member

£62 now on Amazon UK so glad to have pre-ordered when it was just over £43.

Has anyone seen any pictures of the new 4Ever vinyl set?

14. zaza_3121

zaza_3121 Forum Resident

15. englishbob

High hopes for the 4Ever vinyl set. Its Rhino right? I wonder if the usual suspects cut it (KG or CB etc)

16. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I agree. The picture above looks great. It's a great collection of material. Of course, I have most of the music on vinyl already but to have it sounding great in that running order is really tempting.

17. englishbob

Other than on the Hits CD, I have no other version of Gotta Stop Messin about, so would be good to have that on vinyl as well as Moonbeam Levels

18. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I'm curious about the vinyl sound quality. That set sure does look gorgeous!

19. Dhreview16

Prince 4 Ever now out on quadruple vinyl. Over here on Amazon UK it is now back at just under £50, down from over £ 60, though it started on pre-order at just over £40, which seemed a steal..

20. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

About to give it a spin...
    Vinyl is 140g I think..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

How' s the sound quality on this release?
    Better than the Purple Rain release?

22. Dhreview16

As the photos above from dunkrag (post 1666) show, the vinyl is really nicely packaged, with 5 prints included. Mine even came with bubble wrap inside the album box between the lid and the albums/prints for further protection (as well as the shrink wrap around the box). Well done to those concerned.

23. englishbob

Yeah its not 180g, but that's not a bad thing here. Quality box and packaging, the photo prints are on high quality paper, but not card. But if you wanted to, I'm sure they will mount OK in frame. One of the prints has the credit for the set on the back, like the CD I'm assuming.,

KG@CA in the deadwax, so Kevin Gray has done the business here. Listening to it now, quality I think will vary a lot due to a lot of single edits being used.

Its a voyage of discovery for me this set, I've previously never listened to the single edits at all. Just played "Lets Go Crazy" and I can't quite believe my ears. Is it really that bad? (a lot of overlap in the opening section, utterly horrible!)

Of note: Ordered mine from Amazon UK. The box states on the back Made in the USA, so it seems there is only one edition worldwide (thankfully)

I hope that, like this set that appeared out of the blue, that a Purple Rain Deluxe vinyl edition may also appear, that would be great. After all there isn't anything else on the horizon now from the estate...

24. englishbob

Also, not that exciting, but I was putting the cardboard box it was shipped in to the recycling, and spotted that it was pressed at Optimal

[​IMG]

25. englishbob

Overall not a bad sounding set, its a bit up and down overall. Some of the quality of the 7" versions can sound very inferior to the album cuts.

The inclusion of "My Name is Prince", "Peach" and "Nothing Compares 2 U" lets the last half down though, 3 pretty awful tracks and I turned it of during the dire NC2U live version.

But I was never a lover of the New Power Generation era

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.