New Pro-ject Classic Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by keith65, May 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Villorejo81

Villorejo81 Active Member

That is what I did Injust upgarded to a blue stylus. Overall worth the money it is an upgrade I would recommend for this table.

JeffTamarack likes this.
  2. JeffTamarack

JeffTamarack Well-Known Member

Have the same turntable and cartridge. I’m very happy. The table deserves a Blue at least.

3. Danderpet

Danderpet Forum Resident

Thank you all.
    The table was an open box- though flawless- about 300 dollars less. I'll keep my eye out for a deal on the blue stylus.

4. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

You will find a great deal on one almost everyday from the German eBay seller by the name of "thakker". Many members here, myself included, buy from him. He is the goods.

5. markaberrant

markaberrant Forum Resident

Definitely upgrade to a 2M Blue or better. I am honestly surprised they sell this TT with such a cheap cartridge. The felt mat is also a joke. Otherwise very impressed.

I just ordered a Pro-Ject Classic myself, but with an Ortofon Quintet Blue MC cartridge.

6. heavysoul

heavysoul Forum Resident

Anyone happen to know if the now discontinued Pro-ject Speed Box S is compatible with the Pro-ject Classic turntable (the table w/o the SB upgrade, I mean)?

I have the Speed Box lying around and could save some money if they are compatible.

vinnn likes this.
  7. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

Unless my eyes deceive me then according to this it is.....

Speed Box S – Pro-Ject Audio Systems

It was/is a worthwhile upgrade to my 2Xperience Classic.

Where did you hear that it's discontinued?

8. heavysoul

heavysoul Forum Resident

I might be wrong about it being discontinued. I can't remember where I read that it was (perhaps I am hallucinating).

The table I'm asking about, though, is The Classic (which is a different beast than the 2Xperience Classic). I believe the Speed Box was made before The Classic existed, so it doesn't appear to be included on that list of tables that work or don't work on the link.

I'm going to email Pro-ject and ask, but I thought I'd check here and see if anyone had actually tried the Speed Box S with The Classic.

9. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

The Speed Box isn't compatible with the Classic as the Classic requires a DC power supply.

To quote their UK distributor's website;
    The Speed Box S will only work with certain Pro-Ject turntable models that have a detachable mains socket and a 16V AC power supply. It will not work with items that have a captive mains lead, or a DC power supply.

The Speed Box S is also discontinued but a new Speed Box S2 has appeared on Henley's website.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    heavysoul likes this.
  10. Cal Cypher

Cal Cypher Forum Resident

Has anyone any experience with 'The Classic Superpack'?
    It comes with a built in 'speed box' and, in Europe, is fitted with an ortofon quintet red.
    It costs 1500 euro. I was wondering how big a difference this cartridge will make when compared with the 2m silver that's on the standard edition of the classic?

11. guy1

guy1 Forum Resident

I'd also like to know what people are thinking of this turntable? Considering getting one, any advice? I currently have the pro-ject debut carbon esprit.

12. markaberrant

I have had mine for about a year now with an Ortonfon Blue Quintet.

I previous had a modded Rega P2 w/ Ortfon 2M Bronze. It sounded good, but I also noticed all the imperfections. And it didn't sound as good as my $200 digital front end (Raspberry Pi and Allo Boss DAC), which drove me nuts.

The Pro-Ject Classic just sorta disappears, which is what you want from your gear. All you hear is the music; no noise, no colourations. True analog albums properly cleaned with good mastering and dynamics are an absolute joy to listen to. My digital still sounds great, but it is now secondary.

guy1 likes this.
  13. Danderpet

Danderpet Forum Resident

I have been using the Pro-ject Classic with an Ortofon Blue for about 10 months. I love it, and though my beloved Thorens TD 145 is still with me, it has been in the closet since. I still have those wonderful 'wow' moments.
    A very good deal at 850.

guy1 likes this.
  14. guy1

guy1 Forum Resident

are these regular classic turntables or the upgraded SB ones? cheers guys. Also, if I got the SB one would a regular amp with phono stage be ok or would I need to get another one?

15. Danderpet

Danderpet Forum Resident

I didn't do the upgrade, though my blue is a step up. Plugged into a Yaqin tube preamp.

guy1 likes this.
  16. markaberrant

SB upgrade isnt avail in Canada, so no.

17. heavysoul

heavysoul Forum Resident

I have the SB upgrade. I think it's worth it. I like having the internal speedbox. I have the walnut finish, and it's a beautiful 'table.

Mine has the Sumiko Blue Point No. 2 cartridge. Paired with a Marantz amp and a pair of Ascend Sierra-1s, and I really like the sound. Warm but not bright. When it wears out I would like to try an Ortofon Bronze or Black on the table, but that won't be for another couple of years.

I've had the table since January and have no regrets with this purchase.

guy1, Soundslave and nightenrock like this.
  18. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I haven't actually heard one of these, but I finally got to see one recently - IMO, this isn't what I thought it would be... I was expecting a fully suspended design (like the 'classic' turntables it so obviously shares a visual design with). But it isn't.

It looks good and it might very well sound good but, IMO, it was disappointing for that reason and that reason alone...

I am NOT knocking it or those people who have one and like it! But it did get me wondering about the potential market for a new fully-suspended TT with the styling of those classic Ariston, Linn, Thorens et al machines but with manufacturer support and at a reasonable price point... Let's face it, it really is not much more than a few springs short of the 'real deal'...

As the owner of a high-end Ariston 'pre-Linn' TT many, many years ago, I can tell you that there really isn't much to it...

ddarch likes this.
  19. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Thorens and Linn still make them, but they have moved decidedly upmarket ... below is the recent Thorens TD 160 update (TD 1600) with wood and springs ...

[​IMG]

20. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

What do they go for I wonder?

21. guy1

guy1 Forum Resident

I can't decide between the Pro-ject classic SB or the new thorens 1600. I want to wait to read some reviews on the thorens one.

22. Davey

I think it's somewhere around 2000 euro.

[​IMG]

Thorens TD 1600: Subchassis-Plattenspieler aus Tradition - LowBeats

They have a new affordable direct drive table too, the TD 402 with retail price € 799 ...

[​IMG]

09 April 2019

A new direct drive from Thorens
    With new TD 402 DD Thorens presents a direct drive turntable for the first time for more than 30 years. TD 402 DD comes with auto shut off function and with pre installed AT 95VM E cartridge by Audio Technica that makes it a best buy in the high quality middle class.

The styling recalls the famous Thorens TD series of the past but TD 402 DD is a completely new design that contains not only a very silent direct drive motor with switchable auto shut off but also new tone arm TP 72 with carbon tube and changeable headshell, a damped platter and an integrated phono stage for moving magnet cartridges that can be switched off when required. Even an optional auto start function is implemented that starts turning the platter once the tonearm is moved towards the record.

Fast ready to use
    TD 402 DD comes ready to use. Only the platter has to be placed on the axis, the tone arm balanced and tracking force and anti skating adjusted. Putting in a belt is not necessary since there is none.
    And later while playing the end of the record is reliably detected and the drive stops.

Finish
    TD 402 DD comes with dust cover and a massive MDF plinth in piano black and high gloss walnut veneer on damping black rubber feet with silver rings. In combination with a top board of brushed aluminium this emphasizes the noble look of that turntable.

TD 402 DD in Thorens product range
    Thorens TD 402 DD continues the range of best value for money record players that started with new belt driven TD 201 and TD 202 and rounds it up to the top. It delivers high quality at an affordable price and comes with newest generation of Audio Technica VM cartridges that allows several upgrade steps by simply replacing the stylus up to a Shibata one.

RRP: € 799,--

Available from August 2019

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Mugrug12 likes this.
  23. guy1

guy1 Forum Resident

I have limited knowledge on turntables, if you had to choose one of the 3 from the thorens 1600, thorens direct drive or the pro-ject classic - what would you choose?

24. Davey

Yea, guess I kind of derailed the thread, sorry, I'll stop now :)

guy1 likes this.
  25. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Which was inspired by Stromberg-Carlson's Perfectempo, and Acoustic Research improved on that, then Thorens improved on AR, which led to Ariston making improvements.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.