New Prog Rock Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, May 7, 2017.

1. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  2. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  3. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Stick Men - 20180926 Dosey Doe, Houston, TX (BOARD MIX) -- a soundboard recording released by dudes wot play in King Crimson these days. There's even a couple of KC songs here. Free lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

kevywevy likes this.
  4. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Jeff57 likes this.
  5. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Jeff57 likes this.
  6. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Reincarnation, by VUDU (progressive metal, full-length, released October 12, 2018, Austria)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Sacrament

7. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Jeff57 and Dok like this.
  8. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

[​IMG]

Ok, nothing really new there but nicely packaged. Listening to Present from Nancy right now, nice... So far the remaster doesn’t sound overdone as many are in latest reissues nowadays. Eq and compression have probably been used to their bare minimum settings. :D

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Dok likes this.
  9. manco

manco Forum Resident

10. Norco74

Finally

11. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  12. Norco74

[​IMG]

KC Metdown Live in Mexico

One of their best from recent years!

39 revised songs!

stax o' wax, Runicen and PJayBe like this.
  13. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

FYI: not a new studio album but a live in the studio film.

14. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

Aside from the major progressive acts that are still around like King Crimson for example, it’s difficult for me to get excited about any of these newer bands as I feel that so many of them are just retreading musical waters or seem to emulate what has come before. I don’t really hear any true progressive musicians anymore.

albertop and Tristero like this.
  15. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

16. Norco74

Yes a lot of bands trying to emulate by rehashing old stuff. Prog as we knew it in the 70’s is mostly gone but some of the new acts are very interesting.

17. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

The 1980s was great decade for progressive music believe it or not as well. The early 90s as well.

18. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Overseas, by White Coven (progressive psychedelia, full-length, physical CD available, released October 20, 2018, Zaragoza, Spain)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Overseas

19. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Well, when a new band play their original songs but in the genre that is 50 yrs old and have its own rules that some people once called *progressive*, wouldn't that supposed music have to be more or less "retro" in one way or another?
    Thus, if a song / album is out of our beloved genre's rules, it's not Prog(ressive rock) anymore, because *progressive rock* the tag is just the genre name and it doesn't mean that music have to progress literally.
    However, there are plenty of great albums released by some new bands that are very interesting although they are following the genre's rules quite strictly.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  20. hammondjake

hammondjake Forum Resident

I've just discovered, and have now become a huge fan of, Opeth, in their post death-growl incarnation. I'm a little surprised there isn't more mention of them in this thread, although perhaps they are classed more as 'retro-progressive', or are known more for their death metal output?

I discovered Damnation through looking at Steven Wilson's remixing discography, and haven't enjoyed getting into a new album as much since first discovering Purple and Zeppelin almost 40 years ago. I'm currently working my way through their 'clean vocal' output - Damnation, Heritage, Pale Communion and Sorceress (this last one now on its way to me on vinyl format).

They are very much their own band, and massively creative (even within a single track, let alone a whole album), but I can also hear clear influences of Deep Purple, Jethro Tull and Dio-era Black Sabbath, amongst others.

Fantastic writing, performance, mixing and mastering on Damnation...

21. Norco74

And yes, this is a super group but one must like heavy/metal music to start with.

I discovered them with Heritage and just acquired whatever I could there after. Blackwater park or Still life are probably the easiest of their growl period to go with.

Frankly, once you get used to their growl sound, the door is just opened for you to discover the rest of their discography. Delivrance and Morning rise are 2 other favotires of mine.

New live album is on its way and a new studio album is planned for 2019.

Runicen likes this.
  22. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I have a hard time with Opeth for the opposite reason: I found them an interesting and diverse metal band, but a very uninteresting and imitative prog band.

Say what you will about the "growl" era, but there was some really impressive "light and shade" action when they still employed more extreme sonic landscapes and then pulled everything back for the kind of sound you hear all over the Damnation album, which is 100% a desert island disc for me.

Unfortunately, I find the sound they're chasing now feels far too much like they're trying to be Goblin or something.

Norco74 likes this.
  23. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

24. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Plan9 likes this.
  25. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Cosmic, by Stereochrome (experimental rock, full-length, released October 22, 2018, Durham, New Hampshire)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Nebulous