New Prog Rock Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, May 7, 2017.

1. Cured - sounded like he wasn't
    Highly Strung - better than Defector
    Til We Have Faces - a bit half-baked
    Guitar Noir - one of his best
    Blues With a Feeling - lacks feeling although I liked Big Dallas Sky

Of his last few albums, I like the most recent one best. Wolflight was inconsistent, and Shrouded Horizon was too sprawling. Tunnel's Mouth had some good ideas, but it suffered from fairly stiff drum programming in spots. Squackett has some excellent material. To the Storms was quite good - similar to Night Siren in quality.

2. Are they? I'm not hearing anything interesting in the new material that's come out on live projects. Waiting patiently for it to coalesce into something, but they seem to have just written a series of extended song intros.

3. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Glad to see that you're enjoying This Winter Machine. One of the best new bands I've heard in a long time.

Some other recent faves include:

Alan Reed - Honey On The Razor's Edge - a return to a prog sound after some tasty singer-songwriter releases. Pallas were bonkers to get rid of him!
    Long Earth - The Source - Gets under the skin does this one. Thought it was okay, the first couple of spins then suddenly I'm humming the tunes constanly.
    Multi Story - Crimson Stone - Wonderful comeback album from a band who very nearly broke through in the eighties. The best kind of gentle neo prog.

Got to echo the praise for Big Big Train. The two recent records maintain the extraordinarily high standards they've set in recent years. They've become a real institution.

Happy listening!

Johnny Reb likes this.
  4. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I did like Guitar Noir a lot and agree it’s one of his best. I highly disagree that Highly Strung is better than Defector. Many people I’ve spoken with consider Defector one of his best and I can’t argue with that.

5. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Spent time tonight with a Turquish band: Gevende. Their album, Kirinardi, mixes jazz elements with prog, along with some fusion. All this mixed in with a tad of local folk. Quite the blend: the singing can be an acquired taste, IMO. The artwork for this LP is pretty cool too. Overall, an interesting find, which doesn't quite fit within the traditional realms of prog!

6. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Schooltree-- Heterotopia. This is the finale of a two-CD epic:

7. calgary669

I had troubles with the vocals on This Winter Machine, unfortunately.... will get Alan Reed a stream in the morning, thanks for the recommendation!

Will also sample the latest BBT tomorrow- i really love their 4 last albums, so should be in for another treat!!

carlwm likes this.
  8. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Love From Melmac, by Espiral (experimental / instrumental space-rock, full-length, released July 29, 2017, Santiago, Chile)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Autoflorecientes

Designsfx likes this.
  9. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Dunno if this has new release has already been mentioned:

[​IMG]

Big Big Train - London Song -- a 34 min mix of various Big Big Train songs that refer to London. And it's a "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp :thumbsup:

--Geoff

Svetonio likes this.
  10. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

11. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Just on my way to mention it. Sounds great, not at all like 6 songs randomly stitched together.

12. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

The Squid, by The Parallax Method (instrumental progressive rock / metal trio, full-length, 5-track EP, England)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: I Squid You Farewell (Owl Be Seeing You)

Designsfx and klockwerk like this.
  13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

calgary669 likes this.
  14. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

JakeM and ytserush like this.
  15. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

16. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Liking the Gentle Giantish intro.

17. Glennza

Glennza Londoner, lost in the back of beyond

Listening now on Youtube. Enjoying it a lot. Thanks for the heads-up!

wayneklein and calgary669 like this.
  18. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Bank Myna, by Bank Myna (post-progressive, full-length, physical CD available, released April 23, 2016, Paris)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Ghosts & Arrows

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  19. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

20. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

21. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I just heard a track from this album ("How Does It Make You Feel?") on Spotify and was taken back by how convincingly retro this band is, yet totally fresh-sounding. Can hardly wait to check out the rest of the album.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  22. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

23. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Vector, by Cubozoa (progressive metal, full-length, released August 17, 2017, Raleigh, North Carolina)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: The Plague

24. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

Soup - Remedies

At first only available as LP + CD package now there is only a CD only edition (yay). Very atmospheric, with a hefty dose of shoegaze building up to huge walls of sound. Anathema fans might really like this. Cover art by Lasse Hoille. Bandcamp full stream here: Remedies, by soup

[​IMG]

25. calgary669

Glad that there's a CD option: can't afford everything on LP!! Loved this on Spotify !