New Prog Rock Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, May 7, 2017.

1. zen

zen Senior Member

[​IMG] Deep Purple's inFinite (released: April 7th) was pretty progressive....and an excellent way for the band to wrap it up.

dirie likes this.
  2. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Now you have me curious: will have to Spotify this one!

zen likes this.
  3. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

4. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Cool cover!

5. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Life Is Good, by RTFACT (progressive rock, full-length, physical CD available, released August 18, 2017, San Francisco, California)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: (I Got) Money in My Pocket

6. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

7. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Zero Son, by Driveby (post-progressive, full-length, physical CD available, released August 17, 2017, Kramsach, Austria)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Struggle In F-Sharp-Minor

ponkine likes this.
  8. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Another awesome retro-ish track from Once and Future Band. Such a shame that a band creating such cool music seemingly gets lost in the shuffle...

Any other fans here?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  9. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Wild Dogs, by CIRKUS (symphonic rock, full-length, physical CD avialable, releases September 16, 2017, Trois Rivières, Québec)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Falling the Tree

10. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

Been through the new Hackett several times now "The Night Siren". It really is pretty good for sure. The 5.1 is definitely fantastic.

calgary669 likes this.
  11. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

I'm having the same problem overall I would say. In the past 2 years I've really been making an effort to branch out into some of the "newer" prog bands and artists, namely the ones who came on the scene beginning in the 90s. Being a prog head all my life I realize that prog at its best is a "slow burn" and I have to remember to give these albums serious repeated listens. That being said, I'm finally starting to connect with The Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, and a few other bands work. I really liked Neal Morse album Simlitude Of A Dream a lot, it grabbed me quicker and the song at the end of the first disc "Breath Of Angels" is simply fricking awesome, period. Stardust We Are by the Flower Kings after about 4 listens I'm giving a thumbs up to that album. A few thoughts come to mind when exploring the newer music. As a whole it's missing some of the surrealism that defines a lot of classic prog as well as just the limitless creativity that was just a hallmark of the original prog era. Im glad a second group of ambitious artists have decided to pick up the banner and run with it, yes a lot of it is derivative I agree, but in a way I think we want it to be. Most of it is a bit more restrained in a lot of areas, the reason for that is an interesting debate for sure but overall I'm finding joy in giving a lot of it serious listens and am finding some new friends here ! One thing for sure, of the "old" guys, Steve Hackett is THE elder statesmen of prog in my eyes. The quality of what he's doing right now with his solo work and the Genesis tours is simply outstanding, and his playing has never been better. Not to mention his lifelong devotion to the art form and playing with and helping a of the new gen guys. He's a true credit to progressive rock.

Fusionfan likes this.
  12. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

This one grabs me instantly

Svetonio likes this.
  13. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

Not sure if this one has been mentioned here, but In The Passing Light Of Day by Pain of Salvation is extraordinary. Far darker than what I expected, perhaps his most personal and autobiographical album, Daniel Gildenlow conveys a huge array of emotion on this one. Overall it's a sad and often dark and depressing album with glimpses of hope. Once you get to the end it's incredibly touching and the album does have a concept that is very much worth discovering. Many themes and topics covered in the album is nothing new to PoS but it's described in an agonizing and vulnerable fashion that is new to me. Definitely one of my top 3 PoS albums so far.

By the way, the live performance on this year's Hellfest is nothing short of brilliant! They play several from this album with Johan Hallgren returning and replacing Ragnar. I love Johan, but Ragnar is sorely missed on this one anyways. Worth checking out.

sound chaser likes this.
  14. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Nothing really in the vein of 70's progressive rock anymore, it's pretty much all alternative rock sounding. Very emotional, dark melancholic themes and I am getting a tad tired of that. It's only night time music seems.....
    The SW album is not prog, nor do I consider it 80's pop.....There may be prog influenced songs and pop influences going on but to me it is all alternative rock. Spinning it a few times and I do like it because the music is really good, but its not prog or progressive rock.

Many great suggestions here......will have to start listening to some of it.

15. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Emerge, by Terra Collective (math rock, 5-track EP, physical CD available, released August 25, 2017, Denton, Texas)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Anchor

16. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

17. Bytor Snowdog

Bytor Snowdog Forum Resident

A lot of this rings true for me as well. Finding newer prog that I like is hard to come by. SB and TFK are two bands that I have checked out as well. If you like those, Transatlantic is a synthesis of the two.

I cant really pin down why 70's prog has a "feel" to it that no post 1980 band can match, even when careful attention has been paid to the instruments and sound to emulate that very "feel".

Here is a few "newer bands" that I have found and liked that you might check out:

Thieves' Kitchen (female vocals)
    District 97 (female vocals)
    Conqueror (female vocals)
    Magenta (female vocals)
    Echolyn (male vocals)
    Sanhedrin (instrumental)
    Ciccada (50 % instrumental)
    Dream Theater (male vocals)
    The Far Meadow (female vocals)
    Half Past Four (female vocals)
    Nil (female vocals)
    Orion Dust (female vocals)

I have a bit of a female bias :D

18. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Los Acidos LP, by Los Acidos (psychedelic / space-rock, full-length, physical CD available, released November 25, 2016, Argentina)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Al Otro Lado

19. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

20. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  21. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

22. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

bjerker likes this.
  23. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Tropic of Prancer, by Galena (female-fronted, math-rock, 3-track debut EP, releases September 4, 2017, Asheville, North Carolina)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Negus

24. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

GordonNapier likes this.
  25. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Definitely curious about this. I live near Bradford but I don't know Gordon Midgley.

Any more details? Does he play live locally, for example?

GordonNapier likes this.