New Prog Rock Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, May 7, 2017.

1. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Thought this deserved a bump instead of arguments about the prog credentials of Steven Wilson diverting/consuming the thread.
    Good effort sir! I enjoyed the sound- reminds me of early Magellan with folky vocals and building musical themes. I will check out more of your stuff.

Wounded Land likes this.
  2. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Much obliged! I actually haven't heard Magellan, but I will definitely check them out.

Thanks for listening!

3. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Art rock — Wikipédia
    Disagreement seems to be « à l’ordre du jour here ».

PA is doing a fine job. As everyting else, not a perfect site or to your taste but still, it has grown very popular among the prog community and is a great source of information. You might not agree with their categorization and that is fine because nothing is black and white. Do you have another prog music datatabase link to propose? If you do then please post it.

Up to today, I thought that alternative rock was a derived product from the punk scene. So largely music from the Smiths, the Stranglers, the Cure, Bauhaus and the whole Grundge movement can fit the bill. I reaaoy have to stretch it by a mile to have SW in there...

Prog music is not an easy genre to define. Art rock and prog genres are very close to each other but one use more avant-garde artifacts than the other. Wiki is giv g avery account of their definition:

Progressive rock - Wikipedia

Art rock — Wikipédia

4. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Agree on a lot here, I was not saying PF was progressive rock, I agree at the core they are a psychedelic/art rock band but yea that can be considered prog, I am fine with that. I have never seen PF and seeing them in the 70's would have been awesome. I love Gilmour, think he is brilliant musician, writer (maybe Polly instead LOL) guitarist, I would love to see him.

I love all of PT and SW, I honestly don't care what genre people label them but to simply call him/them progressive rock is not very accurate IMO.

5. Catcher10

I first joined PA back in 2009 after lurking for a year, great site to discover new music in the progressive vein, I found many new artists as well as connected with old ones I had let fall away.
    PA has done a great job amassing a huge database of info, and everyone today that was there 10yrs ago will tell you that the amount of bands being added, most are NOT progressive or prog. I cannot fathom how many discussions I have been a part of there or just followed on PA about such topic. And I agree, it is distorting the views of the younger members, where they believe things like "PF are progressive rock".

The problem with PA is they created so many sub genres that for a newbie it can be worse than navigating the IRS website! And so many bands there that are not prog or progressive has skewed peoples views of what that really is....so right now that original definition is lost.

When wife and I saw Steven Wilson 2yrs ago on the HCE tour, he himself said "we are a rock n roll band..." And that is what works for me, they and most others are simply a hard rock band (distorted guitars, heavy drums/bass lines) with dark/melancholy themes. All of them of course are influenced by those that came before, SW has said himself that Donna Summer was an influence because his mother played those records....so do we call him disco or R&B?? He has always incorporated a lot of electronica and even EDM styles, drone noise styles.....I have some of his Continuum material which is all drone, noise, ambient and some doom metal. I do consider him prog, but hardly progressive rock by that definition..

Peter Gabriel, brilliant musician and writer.....He too is kinda all over the place, hard to pin him to one style. But I agree with @Svetonio most PG albums are Art Rock and/or Symphonic Rock.

6. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Personally, I don't like that wiki's definitions of Progressive rock and Art Rock. They changed their definitions of those genres actually, and I recall that former definitions were way better in my opinion.
    Well, you will agree that if I criticize someone else's definitions, the bonton orders me to offer my own. Thus, here are my poor, old fashioned definitions of both genres, with a definition of Symphonic rock as a subgenre of Progressive rock:
    Progressive rock is Rock* music with meandering & un-American way of singing, with odd time signatures, with the use of at least one un-Rock instrrument in a band (e.g. mellotron) and an obvious tendency towards virtuosity, often with jazzy motifs. Legendary bands that best represent the genre are Family, Van Der Graff Generator, King Crimson, Gentle Giant.

Symphonic rock is a subgenre of Progressive rock that is characterized by the absence of riffs and with a lot of the "sounds" of Classical music, often melded with the elements of celtic folk; the bands like the 70s Genesis, Yes, Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

Art Rock is Pop-Rock with a huge artistic aproach; the bands & solo artists like Moody Blues, Barclay James Harvest, 10cc, Supertramp, early Roxy Music, the 70s Peter Gabriel solo, late 70s Kate Bush and so on.

*'Rock' with capital *R* and without *roll* is a music genre originated by English mod bands like The Who and The Kinks, who on the mid Sixties started to play R&B classics in more agressive way, and invented *riff* and controled feedback; for example, when Pete Townshend starts to play the riffs of I Can't Explain, that's Rock.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    Frosst likes this.
  7. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Both Peters are Progressive artists in the greatest way. Never standing still. Always creating something that doesnt necessarily mesh with commercial trends. SW is trending that direction as well. To the Bone may not be “prog” but Raven/Hand and Downstair/Sky Moves sure as hell were. Not all of what they do needs to be considered “Prog” in rhe classical sense. Who knows what hes going to come up with next.

Frosst likes this.
  8. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Kismet, by The Omnific (progressive rock, full-length, releases November 24, 2017, Melbourne, Australia)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Objets de Vertu

9. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

USA 1982, by We Stood Like Kings (symphonic rock, full-length, physical CD & vinyl LP is available, released September 22, 2017, Brussels, Belgium)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Grand Illusion

10. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

That's a cool cover...

Svetonio likes this.
  11. Catcher10

@Svetonio Hi......I did not write what you posted/quoted above on the wiki definitions, that was Norco74 who posted that. I agree with what you wrote as your definitions, works for me.

Svetonio likes this.
  12. Norco74

I guess there’s no right definition of what is prog anyway and trying to pigeon holing a band into a category or another is often not doing justice to the efforts that these bands are putting into their music. This is my whole point of debating the topic. The most important thing is to enjoy what you are listening.

BTW, if you didn’t cross this bridge yet, have a go at Hector Berlioz - La symphonie fantastique. Probably the most proggy classical oeuvre of its time. Then quickly move to Stravinsky and Varèse from the 20th century. :edthumbs:

13. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Fantasy and Ash, by Élet (progressive rock, 5-track debut EP, released October 14, 2017, SP, Brazil)

[​IMG]

Favourite track Moonshine Festival

14. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

IMHO, by all Classical music forms, rhapsody fits the spirit of the 70s Symphonic rock ("Classic Prog") at the best.

15. Catcher10

I get ya.......I'm not a fan of tagging bands to a genre either, but when people try to define a band by genre and then proclaim a certain genre better than anthother..mehh, that's not accurate. This is what the younger prog rock fans are doing, judging music by genre it seems

16. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

I cannot believe this discussion. There is no definitive definition of prog rock!!!
    Prog is in the ear of the beholder.
    I see a thread title and assume a 'general definition' or that music listed in here may be of some interest based on those who 'relate' to the term.

jay.dee and Norco74 like this.
  17. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Progressive rock is the genre and alike any other genres, Progressive rock has its basic characteristics that determine it in relation to the other genres. Those characterictics are easy to be detected and to be packed in a definition of two of three sentences.
    What is not easy to define actually? It is not easy to define that social millieu and zeitgeist where Progressive music, as a meta-genre that encompassed genres like Progressive rock / Symphonic rock, Jazz-Rock / Fusion and Experimental rock ("Avant-Rock") as well, appeared autochthonously in the second half of the Sixties on the both sides of Atlantic ocean.

18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The new release is pretty darn good.

19. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

20. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

21. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

22. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Absolutely! Had to buy the Phil Lanzon CD after listening to some tracks on YouTube. Ordered from his Website and arrived the next day! Album of the year so far for me & that includes Steven Wilson's !

Heepster likes this.
  23. JamesLord

JamesLord Forum Resident

Would recommend Cardington by Lifesigns. Great melodic prog.

debased likes this.
  24. Norco74

Is it different from their first effort?

25. debased

debased Senior Member

Yes. A highly anticipated release for me, especially after hearing the three songs previewed on Under The Bridge. Did you see the "guitar map" they posted on their website? Ridiculous.