New 'Pugwash' album in collaboration with Jason Falkner...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thomas Pugwash, Feb 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas Pugwash

Thomas Pugwash Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi everyone. It's been a while as they say. I'm sure you're all still bonkers and a little deranged but hey it's the Steve Hoffman Forum 'innit?

Anyway...I'm making a new album later this year and by all intents and purposes it'll be my first ever "solo" record but because I'm only known by the grain of musical obscurity that is PUGWASH it will be a Pugs record pretty much. But it will be me and the legendary Mr. Jason Falkner. I know him 20 years this year so it may just be kismet and I've dreamed of making a record with him for 20 years. The dream may just come true but I need you mad wonderful people to share and pledge if you can at KICKSTARTER - PUGWASH NEW ALBUM...

If you can help in any way I'd be so grateful. Remember though if you do maybe want a couple of items you'll need a few different email addresses.

Thank you all. It's nice to be back. xx

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Good luck!

Thomas Pugwash likes this.
  3. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

Pugwash and Jason Faulkner? I'm in!

4. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

I'm in for your great music! Good luck with the project!

5. drowningdeep

drowningdeep Dude

Hell yeah!

6. Thomas Pugwash

Thank you Steve. How are you mate? Thanks for having me back to solicite me wares!!

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I'm good!

Y'all, follow PUGWASH on Facebook: Pugwash | Facebook

Pizza, bhazen and Thomas Pugwash like this.
  8. Yeah, but @Thomas Pugwash, promise the mastering won't be dynamically compromised and I'm in. The last two Pugwash albums, brilliant songs, much earworms, sunshiny days, the band is too much under the radar.

But for all that's sacred, don't let some knuckledragger with a digital compressor/limiter come in and shellac what you've worked so hard to capture on tape/digital.

I'm not knocking you; I'm actually loving you. ❤

9. Thomas Pugwash

I take great care over the mastering of every record I make. Sometimes I like a little over compression for the sake of the sound I actually want on a particular record. It's not always bad. Sometimes a sound is in my head and whatever it takes to get it I'll go there. There should be no boundaries in any aspect of music. Except that Journey song probably.

drowningdeep, O Don Piano and chodad like this.
  10. Thomas Pugwash

Demo of a new song posted on the Kickstarter page...

drowningdeep and EVOLVIST like this.
  11. drowningdeep

drowningdeep Dude

12. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Awesome - can't wait!

13. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Hi Thomas.

My first kickstarter pledge and first SHF post. Signed up here in 2009 and posting in 2017! That is something other than lurking.

So glad you're making another album. The fact that you're doing it with Jason is mind blowing. Along with the Superfurry Animals, Pugwash and Jason Falkner records are my favourites of the past 20 years. Can you provide any additional insight into the record? I know Jason plays everything, but any guest musicians? Where do you plan on doing the recording?

I've heard rumours of 2017 being a busy year for Jason. A new record, reissues and producing R. Stevie Moore.

14. Oh, I believe you; nevertheless, devil's advocate here (because I'll buy the record anyway, even if I can only play it in my car without getting a headache), so yeah, devil's advocate: If it were 1975, say, and you were making a record - even as an artist with a keen interest in the mastering phase - it would never cross your mind, nor the mind of the engineer, to compress the recording in a manner so frequently seen today.

I'm beating a drum, yes, and a dead horse I'm sure will follow, but sonic marvels caught on tape abound, of all styles, genres, and classes from let's say 1953-1992, with far, far less dynamically compromised mastering hackjobs like we see in 2017. Artists achieved their visions without an iron hand on the ol' compressor knobs.

I know; I really do apologize for airing my musings right in your face. You came in with a noble calling (and a truly noble one it is), yet it's not often that I get a rock deity in to ask some questions. I asked Fran Healy the same thing and he simply said that his hearing isn't what it used to be. :biglaugh:

drowningdeep likes this.
  15. Thomas Pugwash

I've tinnitus since I was 6 years old..

16. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Wow, awesome news!

17. I just made a kickstarter pledge.... Pugwash has delivered the goods again and again. Olympus Sound is my favorite by this band to date.

18. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Pugwash & Faulkner? I'm not dreaming!

19. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Hi Thomas. This is great news. I just sent my pledge. You and Jason are two of my favorite artists. Now all I need to know is where to get a copy of your first two albums!! Any chance you have a few extra CDs in the back of a closet somewhere?

20. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Yeah - we need your back catalog re-issued Thomas!

longdist01 likes this.
  21. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Just a few days from now (and a little bump...)

22. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

Very good news

23. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

This is of course great news but, at the risk of sounding greedy, will we ever get another Duckworth Lewis album? Perhaps there are only so many cricket-themed songs a person can write; but you and Hannon, that's a potent combination. As Hurricane Smith said, don't let it die.

24. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

I cannot believe I missed this thread. Very excited about some new music! The last album was incredible.

25. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Listening to the album Spotify awaiting the ordered cd....a real feast of perfect pop music with melodies, harmonies, guitars and hooks aplenty!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.