New Queen Album "Forever"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nesboy43, Sep 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

It is originally a solo Freddie song featured on his Mr. Bad Guy album. That version is much colder with a lot of synths. The Queen version slays it IMHO.

2. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

A few of the songs on Made in Heave are reworkings...I Was Born to Love You is also a solo Freddie song from Mr. Bad Guy, Heaven For Everyone originally appeared on The Cross album Shove It, and of course "Too Much Love Will Kill You is a Brian May song from his Back to the Light album. Here's a link to the rather interesting Wikipedia page!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Made_in_Heaven

Futurecity likes this.
  3. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Yes, the Queen version is excellent!

4. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

In case of Queen it's not clear, which song started as a solo song or a band production, as they never were very open about that. Mercury once thanked Deacon, May and Taylor on "Mr Bad Guy" for "not interfering" - and Brian May later revealed, that this was far from the truth. Obviously tracks like "There must be more to life" started as Queen songs, when they even had John Deacon on it.
    Also some Taylor solo tracks like "Heaven for everyone" or "Man on Fire" sounded more like Queen outtakes than real "Cross" or solo-recordings. "Too much love will kill you" is another rejected Queen song that later appeared on May's solo album.

5. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Don't forget You And I, Leaving Home and In Only Seven Days

6. cmi

cmi Forum Resident

'Too Much Love Will Kill You' was originally planned for The Miracle album (between 'The Invisible Man' and 'Breakthru') but was omitted at the last minute and later appeared in the same form on Made In Heaven album.

7. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

brian and roger are gonna record a new album with lamber called queen does liberace.

8. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Apparently 'Long Away' came VERY close to being the second single from 'A Day At The Races', but the band and their management thought the public wouldn't go for a Queen single that didn't have a Freddie lead vocal. Which is fair enough, I suppose; leave it as a killer track on an album that is full of them.

9. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

When QPL finally got their hands on the tapes of the two missing 1974 BBC sessions, the plan was to release a box set of the complete BBC sessions (including the 1973 'In Concert' and Hammersmith Odeon Christmas Eve 1975 show). Unfortunately, that idea went the way of so many really good ideas QPL have been presented with over the years (they do have some fan input at these meetings, so it's not as though they don't know what fans are begging them for). The problem is that they always seem to choose the wrong idea. They KNOW what fans want, they just don't seem inclined to give it to us. I'd LOVE to see the complete singles 10-CD box set they were presented with at one of their meetings. That went into Dr. May's Queen collection, while the fans got three separate CD singles boxes. Maybe one day...........................

10. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

There were glitches on the '93/'94 remastered album versions of 'Fat Bottomed Girls' and 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love' and they never bothered fixing them. The glitch version of FBG was used AGAIN on 'Queen Rocks'.

Chris Haley likes this.
  11. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

That's always been one of my favourite Queen tracks. Great guitar solo, too; restrained and all the better for it.

johnny q likes this.
  12. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Noticed that the production credits for the early albums has been reversed and now read Queen & Roy Thomas Baker, while the credit for 'Nevermore' now reads Queen & Robin Geoffrey Cable.

13. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

The John Peel session from 1977 was one of the best things they did. There was an opportunity to release the whole thing on the bonus disc of News Of The World but they passed on it and only released two tracks.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Is this piano version unique to this set, though?

15. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

No, it's on the 2 CD version of the 2011 remaster of A Kind of Magic, and was also a bonus track on the previous version of the CD.

16. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks! Yeah, I see now it's even on my early Japan for USA CD of A Kind of Magic.

jl151080 likes this.
  17. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Like I say, QPL KNOWS what fans want, but......................

18. DBMethos

DBMethos Forum Resident

I just imagine Brian sitting in a throne-type chair in a royal setting, listening to rare and unreleased Queen archive stuff all day. He occasionally glances over at this crappy little corner table on which sits the latest QPL official releases...and he laughs his rich ass off.

19. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

I genuinely thought that the release of the 'Days Of Our Lives' doc a few years ago marked a change of direction for QPL; LOTS of genuinely jaw-dropping, previously unseen stuff, but no, it was just a hiccup and now it's back to business as usual. Don't forget that several years ago, May GENUINELY said: ''I think it maybe wouldn't be a bad idea to delete all the 'Greatest Hits' albums for a while, let people get past the hits and into the albums''. Anyone who thinks they know Queen by their singles, doesn't. At all. And with a back catalogue like theirs, that's a real shame.

20. George P

George P Notable Member

May I ask what QPL is?

21. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I think it is Queen Productions Ltd.

22. George P

George P Notable Member

Ok, thanks.

23. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I doubt that this "John Peel Session" ever took place with those four songs. The two "missing" songs "It's late" and "We will rock you" sound much different with overdubs and full production. "We will rock you" in this particular version has been released several times on american samplers connected with the "King Biscuit Flower Hour". And there is no mention of it being a BBC recording.
    But I agree, it would have been nice to have the other two songs on that release as well. But it's the typical strategy you find with any artist. Always keep something back so that you can add it to a later release...

24. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

It did, because I heard it when it was first broadcast. There were hundreds of sessions done specifically for the John Peel programme, which had its own in-house producer specifically for the sessions. There is no way he would have broadcast a session from a third party source.

25. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

On a side note, speaking of re-do's, I am loving the 2012 version of Freddie Mercury/Montserrat Caballè's album 'Barcelona' done with an 80 piece orchestra in place of the original synthesizers.

Juggsnelson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.