NEW Queen "Live Killers" remaster.....anybody have it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audio, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

Which Queen "Live Killers" disc sounds the best? The brand new remaster found here:

http://www.shop.queenonline.com/

Or some other version that is out there??

2. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

That's wierd...my old copy came in a slimline jewel case. I wonder if they've restored the previously edited tracks to full-length.

3. audio

How many versions of this title are there? Which one should I buy??

4. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Sorry to thread-poop but wasn't this album massively overdubbed? I haven't heard it since I bought the cassette 24 years ago.

5. audio

Was it? That's lame. If this is indeed the case, what is the definitive way to capture Queen live on cd at the height of their powers?

6. pdenny

7. audio

8. pdenny

Jeesh what a grouch! :D

Yeah, I was with them until THE GAME left me cold. But what do I know...I think JAZZ is the greatest thing they ever did! :eek:

9. audio

I love "Jazz" also, man! That album rules!!

10. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

If this reissue bears the EMI ART (Abbey Road Technology) logo, then it is the same as the 2001 Japanese reissue (I can't imagine they would do the thing all over again in just two years); this was remastered by Mr. Mew at EMI, and sounds very loud and clear, but sort of dead and cold:)

I am not sure about the overdubs on Live Killers, but of course the chorus sequence from Bohemian Rhapsody was played back from tape during the show. The band would leave the stage, and the tape would play instead - I think this is even mentioned in the liner notes to Live Killers.

11. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I own the "Live Killers" Hollywood disc. It isn't a great recording, but then again, it's live...

I don't know if this is a thread-crap or not (if so, I'm sorry) I have a book where Roger Taylor says "Live Killers" may be the worst Queen album ever, and that sound-wise it was terrible. I have never thought it was as bad as he thinks it is, though (and enjoy the album a lot).

I'd think "Live at Wembley '86" was their best recorded concert, although I can understand someone not liking Queen post 1980.

12. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I have checked Live Killers (2003)... the credits go to Pete Mew and it's the same remaster as the 2001 Japan remaster.

13. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I've got the British EMI version CDP 7 462112 in a slim-line case. sound isn't the best but then again its not terrible either. To me this is Queen at the height of their career. Loud & hard. It was all downhill from here.

BTW, Jazz is also one of my favorites as well.

14. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

Funnily enough,the one 70s album of theirs I can't stand.The start of their lesser stuff for me I'm afraid.The Works was their return to form but even that was temporary.

15. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

Actually, this DVD very much follows the Live Killers set and style of playing, except with the addition of a few "The Game" tracks (Another One Bites The Dust, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, maybe Dragon Attack and Play The Game) plus "Under Pressure". Nothing from Hot Space, as the concert was actually recorded in Montreal in 1981. Especially good is the opening fast version of "We Will Rock You" and several other Jazz tracks (if you like that album). The DTS track is amazing.

My favourite live CD, albeit "unofficial" (but good sounding because it was recorded for radio broadcast by the BBC) is a boot called Royal Countdown (among many different titles of the same concert), recorded December 24, 1975 at the Hammersmith Odeon in London. All early stuff with only Bohemian Rhapsody (as part of a medley) from A Night At The Opera. Lots of the first three albums and very crisp playing. Sound quality impeccable.

Cliff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.