New QUEEN Remasters - What is the verdict? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinyl diehard, Aug 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever Thread Starter

I wasn't aware that there are 2011 remasters out of the Queen titles. I've noticed on the QUEEN II title that it was remastered by Bob Ludwig from the original masters using, I forget the exact phrasing but something like the best in analogue and digital technologies.

Any comments on these titles???

2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

There is already a very long topic about these if you do a search

3. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

4. vinyl diehard

Thaniks for the link.

Quote:

The resolution and the clarity are the best I have heard these albums (and yes I have the original WG CDs -same mastering as JPN CP32- which were my favorite). That's especially true for Queen II.

From what I've read above, the new 2011 remaster of Queen II sounds worth having. I've noted that there were no bonus tracks on the Queen II 2011 remaster. I found that strange in this day and age of bonus material.

5. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

All the remasters are being released in two formats: A standard 1 disc remaster with no bonus material, and a 2 disc 'deluxe edition' with an EP disc, featuring 5 or so bonus tracks.

For Queen II, the bonus CD features:

Bonus Tracks

1. See What A Fool I’ve Been (BBC Session, July 1973 – 2011 remix)

2. White Queen (Live at Hammersmith Odeon, December 1975)

3. Seven Seas of Rhye (Instrumental Mix 2011)

4. Nevermore (BBC Session, April 1974)

5. See What A Fool I’ve Been (B-side version, February 1974)

6. vinyl diehard

Thanks!

7. They are great.

8. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

The first five sound great, especially Queen II.

Is there an official U.S. release date for the next five remasters? I just checked Amazon and all I found was the imports. It's been said before, but it's ridiculous that these hit American stores so long after they've been out in the Great Britain.

9. Peterr

Peterr Forum Resident

If you got the original EMI`s like I`ve had....

Then its a great upgrade whatever the discussion over specs,graphics, e.q.

They sound fabulous..

greetz Peterr

10. vinyl diehard

Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate it.:cheers:

11. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

The new remasters are more compressed. Some people don't mind that, some people do.

12. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

has anbody listened to the vinyl? I've seen them but put off by the small print on the back that says "digitally remastered". I bought a really good jap pressing of Queen 2 recently, and was disappointed that it had the same muddy mix as my original Aust pressing - I guess no amount of remastering is gonna fix that up?

13. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

+1
    I have been pleasantly surprised. Kudos to Bob Ludwig! :righton:

14. bellbrass

bellbrass Forum Resident

I think the remastered 2-disc versions are worth having. I have Queen II, A Day at the Races, A Night at the Opera, News of the World, and Jazz. So far, I agree that Queen II sounds much better than the original issue USA CD. The remasters sound better for Freddie's vocals and clarity when compared with all of my original-issue CDs, but I still really like my UK original CDs of A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races quite a bit. They have a bit more dynamic range when compared to the remasters, but it isn't a huge, immediately noticeable difference.

15. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

16. Jim Foy

Jim Foy Forum Resident

I saw the next batch of remasters will be available early next month.
    However, two B-sides "Blurred Vision" and "A Dozin Red Roses For My Baby" are not included on any of the bonus discs.
    Does anybody know why?
    Is it because these two tracks were created out of edits and remixes of other tracks and are as such not really compositions on their own?

17. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

You should really refer to the other long Queen remasters thread... plenty of discussion on those two tracks...

18. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Don't bother with those rip-off "Bonus EP"

After many, MANY requests, comments, feedback @ official forum Brian May decided not to care about fans (yet again) and throw crappy 5 cuts (mostly fillers in some albums) to make 20 min CDs that should have been added at the end of the main albums instead

19. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

But you know that it was done to lure people into buying now as these 2CD editions will disappear if you don't buy soon. If they had put the extra tracks on the same discs there would be no incentive to buy NOW.
    Also this way they can sell the 2CD version at a higher price.

There was no intention to put "important" stuff on those extra CDs.

20. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Some of the cuts on the bonus EPs of the last batch were on teh original CD issues of the albums. I dont think Ill be getting any of these last ones.

21. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

Yeah my comment is why are the so *@&%*^*% expensive?!:realmad:

22. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Well thats your opinion, I am very happy with what little with have got on the bonus tracks so far, Demo's, BBC Sessions, a few good new live tracks and a brand new song !!

23. Jim Foy

Jim Foy Forum Resident

Thanks for your reply.
    I appreciate it.

I checked the other Queen remasters threads but all they said was the tracks ("Blurred Vision" and "A Dozin Red Roses") were not included on the remasters.
    They did not say WHY they are left out.
    My question is therefore if it's because they basically are just something that has been edited together in the studio by some technical wizard and not compositions by Queen as such?
    I had hoped that the remasters would give me all the regular albums AND the odd B-sides in one place but apparently that is not the case.
    In fact, this is keeping me from getting the remasters from the last half of their career because what is the point (apart from the improved sound on the regular albums)?

24. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

For me these are my reasons for buying the last round of remasters, alart from the fact I have all the others and like the improved sound compared to my original EMI's, £11 per Cd is very cheap IMO as well:

The Works: Its A Hard Life (Live):goodie:, I Go Crazy and Hammer To Fall Headbangers mix

A Kind Of Magic: Highlander A Kind Of Magic & a Demo called a A Kind Of Vision which is early One Vision and A Kind Of Magic before the songs were split into two

The Miracle: Invisable Man Demo and 3 B Sides

Innuendo: 2 Demos and the excellent Lost Oppurtunity B Side

Made In Heaven: 2 Demo's

And if you are not a fan with everything like me there is about another different versions of 14 songs you will not have, enough reason for me to get them, but I am a big fan and know what extras included are very good !!

25. gfong

gfong Forum Resident

Anyone know if the remastered 2011 Jazz LP would include the bike poster?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.