New R.E.M. DVD release coming 11/24/14

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by heatherly, Sep 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Yeah gotta concur, the Rock Influences/ Passaic show's ommission takes this out of the must have category.

Do you know more details on the Daytona Beach show in the vault, Bruno? The '83 show was them opening for English Beat, which would seem an odd choice to film. I was at the Daytona Beach show the following year, which was just them and still one of the best shows I've ever seen. Can't remember if there were cameras.

I'd like to see the Canadian equivalent of MTV (Much music) do the same, though probably not financially as viable but I know Much/CityTv has a boatload of R.E.M. footage.

2. Fantastic!I'm in.Now for a physical,well packaged and properly mastered version of the I Tunes rarities collections.

Carserguev and FLF like this.
  3. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

As with pretty much any archival rock release, we can always complain that something is missing. The Passaic show is great, but, despite its absence, this set is incredible. They could easily have just dumped the Unplugged or Storytellers appearance out as a single DVD. If you must see the Passaic show, it's out there.

IronWaffle likes this.
  4. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Quick ain't the word - damn! :eek:

I think there's 2 or 3 camera angles PER SECOND in some spots. Lordy, what's become of us when our attention span is that sorry?

5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I enjoy that DVD, the quick cuts don't bother me. :shrug:

6. FLF

FLF The insurgency began and you missed it.

I'd be surprised if this ever happens now. After all of the compilations that have been put out, doing the b-sides/rarities thing would be quite the undertaking in a physical format.

Besides, that Itunes collection is far from complete. I can't help but wonder why it was ever put out other than to just get pretty much all of it out there in a digital format. I'd like to think they would gauge interest the catalog for a release in another format, but that's most likely wishful thinking.

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I doubt we'll see a b-sides/rarities box in the near future. The focus for physical reissues right now seems to be the ongoing 25th anniversary reissues of each album in sequence. Mike Mills has hinted at the possibility of a live Bootleg Series.

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I remember an acoustic rendition of Driver 8 on a Christmas show version of either 120 minutes or Cutting Edge.

9. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

That's on the When The Light Is Mine DVD, I believe.

10. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Yes, there is a segment from the Cutting Edge on that DVD.

11. jsayers

Oh, I'm used to it as well now that that's how practically all live music video has been done for so long now. But just watching that small clip kind of took me by surprise by just how fast the edits actually are, that's all.
    And I still say that there's no need for it and I wish the cameras could linger longer on individual band members and bring back full band shots like you would see if you were at a show.
    If they don't bother you, that's because you're part of the reason they are the way they are, you're obviously in the majority on this. I'm not, I don't like it, and I'm not apologizing. My attention span hasn't <yet> reached the point where I get bored if I see more than a second or two of a particular view.

Hey, just my own humble opinion and the companies that produce video and film in this fashion certainly aren't interested in what I think - and that doesn't bother me one bit.

Digital-G likes this.
  12. THe anniversary issues have been conspicuously and deliberately missing any B sides and rarities on the second disc which makes me think they must have some plan to get them out.Concerts have been included on several of the reissues.As far as the workload of producing it is concerned it certainly wouldn't be any more than has gone into REMTV.I just hope they leave the dreaded Complete word out of any title as that will only get people upset if 1 song isn't included.

13. dee

dee Senior Member

That's a load of a/v!

14. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

I've got VHS tapes full of the stuff on these DVDs I originally recorded off MTV. Even though they're in a humidity-controlled basement, I can only assume the loss of quality over the years is noticeable. How great to have this stuff in one handy collection, especially at a time when interest in physical media continues to decline. This certainly seems like a labor of love and not some cash grab, as it would seem folks trawled through hours of tape on two continents to assemble it. This is meant for the hardcore REM fan, and as some hardcore REM fans have stated, they're not even interested in it. I'm curious to see how well it sells. A big thanks to Bertis, the band, and the folks from MTV and Rhino!

15. jsayers

I think they could have trimmed this set down to fewer discs to make it a little more affordable. It's a little heavy on the post-Berry era, imho. It seems the trend now is to put out $100 sets instead of smaller packages, it seems everyone is doing it. I guess even though they sell less copies, they make their target profit due to the hefty list price.

16. brunofaetten

brunofaetten Forum Resident

Not really, I just found the clip on YouTube one day. The R.E.M. Timeline doesn't offer any additional info either, but they have a complete setlist for the show three days earlier, when they were also opening for English Beat. The Daytona Beach set was probably similar. On that earlier date (March 27th), they played:

Catapult / Pilgrimage / Talk About The Passion / Wolves, Lower / Harborcoat / Sitting Still / Gardening At Night / 9-9 / 1,000,000 / West Of The Fields / Radio Free Europe / 7 Chinese Bros. / Carnival Of Sorts (Box Cars)

If the complete D.B. set was filmed and kept for posterity, that would make an amazing DVD release, maybe with the Letterman "So. Central Rain" and a couple of other TV appearances as bonuses. I very much doubt it, though, I just like to imagine cool s**t like that. :)

theMess and Mr. D like this.
  17. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

And other posters earlier in the thread are upset that it's not ten discs with five more non-MTV concerts tacked on … nothing is going to please everyone.

18. brunofaetten

brunofaetten Forum Resident

If that's supposed to be yet another dig at me, I'll just point out that I made the observation in my first post that those 80's concerts I listed were ineligible for this set. And I'm not the least bit "upset" about that, I simply shared my thoughts on the box set from the perspective of a potential buyer who prefers the early stuff. You seem a little upset, though.

19. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

I *LOVE* REM - but have given up on their remasters as hopeless, brickwalled and unlistenable. Maybe the audio rips on these will be listenable, and live versions of the great songs on the last two albums will give me finally-listenable versions - But their reissued stuff just always sounds like crap. I don't want to come of as a troll, but it is just absolutely unlistenable - again, I love their vision, songwriting and performance - But the mastering just kills me...

Quincy and heatherly like this.
  20. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

Please no post Berry shows! Just IRS era shows!

21. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

How about the Rockapalast 85 Germany show on DVD??

captainsolo likes this.
  22. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I haven't listened to one of their non-MFSL CDs in years. Either vinyl or the Warner-era DVD-As will give you the mastering you're looking for.

23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Wish the Colbert part fo this had the interview instead of the song. Funniest REM thing I've EVER seen.

Hope one of the 2008 shows surfaces on Blu-ray sometime int he future. Don't think any full performance with Berry except the RRHOF stuff. Unless some 89 stuff was done on film and still exists.

I'll be loaning it out to friends but I'd love for all the DVDs I own to be something I watch ever several years.

I think there was a 1983 Tv appearance in Vancouver that never surfaced. It's in the 20+ year old book with all the tour dates

24. FLF

FLF The insurgency began and you missed it.

Good grief...:rolleyes:

Post Berry R.E.M. isn't that bad. :shake::tsk:

Walt and Carserguev like this.
  25. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Bloody hell this is great news! Pity every great band doesnt have this much archive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.