New Ray Davies Album 'Americana' Out April 21 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Jan 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Damn, tonight was Tarzana night all the way ! Couldn't let go of the song as I was sleeping. And in my dream, I was thinking "Anthony Holland was right, he warned me !!"

CheshireCat likes this.
  2. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

It made it to #15 in the UK charts. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that the highest UK position for an album of new Ray Davies penned songs since Face To Face in 1966?

e.s. and Rekkerds like this.
  3. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

It is indeed. :)

4. CheshireCat

Mind you, considering that everything by The Kinks from 1968 onwards didn't even chart, it's somewhat amazing.

5. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Listening to the record for the 2nd time and loving it.

CheshireCat, Adam9 and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

MOJO magazine 4 stars - lead review.

7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Listening my 4th time to Americana. :D

CheshireCat likes this.
  8. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

It's got it's hooks in me now. It took a long time but I've learned to be patient & let Ray's genius reveal itself over time, which it always does. And probably I'm a bit slow; I'm just realizing that Poetry is from the perspective of a jilted lover, who just might be some kind of pathetic loser, which changes things quite a bit!

I still think Message from the Road really kills the momentum built up after The Deal and Poetry though. I usually skip over it :hide:.

FJFP likes this.
  9. lightrom

lightrom Ready . . Fire . . Aim!

e.s., Bonddm, Rekkerds and 3 others like this.
  10. CheshireCat

One of the best recent interviews. I enjoyed that, and am looking forward to Volume Two! But could it really happen this year, as previously intimated by Ray, I wonder...

11. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Spent a good portion of my vacation "from the West to the East" of the US listening to Americana whilst walking to the beach, and lounging reading the book (I've had it in my stack since it came out but for some reason didn't start it). Finished it on the plane home yesterday. The scenes from the book came alive on the new album, and they tie together with tracks from his other solo releases (Thanksgiving Day, After The Fall, Morphine Song, Voodoo Walk, ect...). I'd say working with The Jawhawks gives the new album a great unifying sound that maybe the other solo albums didn't have, and some nice rocking moments. Cool little references to Kinks tracks (Kentucky Moon, How Are You?, Too Much On My Mind, Big Sky). As a long time admirer of the Kinks, I'm not disappointed in the least and I think this stands tall with the rest of his solo stuff.

I really hope we get "Vol. 2" to finish the story, and Ray gets back to the US for one more go.

CheshireCat and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

AMERICANA gets better and better with each listen.
    Current fave: "A Place In You Heart." So Kinks-like (even with a female singing lead and she nails it).

Adam9, Mike Dow, Bonddm and 2 others like this.
  13. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

After listening to this album plenty of times it has grown massively. There are some truly great songs here and this might be my favourite solowork from Ray.
    First listenings I find the album pleasant but not overwhelming. Now I think it s a true masterclass in songwriting and storytelling. I haven t read the book but the songs tells stories in a very farcinating way.
    The Jayhawks connection was very exiting but first listening I find their playing a bit generic. Not so anymore-they play brilliantly but in a way that really serves the songs.
    All in all Im beginning to really like this album-Ray is an unique artist and this album really does him justice. At least as long as one doesn't t expect another Waterloo sunset.

rstamberg, rswitzer, Bonddm and 4 others like this.
  14. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

From 1968 on The Kinks had 11 Top 100 charting songs, 9 of them Top 50.

rstamberg likes this.
  15. CheshireCat

Sorry, I should have been clearer, but linking it with my earlier post, I'm referring to the UK album chart - where their final chart studio album was 'Something Else' in 1967.

mbrownp1 likes this.
  16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Nice.

Bemagnus likes this.
  17. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

18. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

Article on Davies and Americana in the Guardian today. Reading through the comments, someone pointed out the similarity between Ray's Poetry and the song Make Me Smile by Steve Harley.

19. Yeah, I commented on the similarly early on this thread. But Ray made his, different. His own.

20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Some things I find amazing with Americana
    1 Rays voice. Being addicted to the Kinks since the 60-s hearing Rays voice again is like picking up with an old friend. Rays voice hasn t changed much from his youth -it still is the same wry, honest and unique instrument
    2. The songs. Being a songwriters songwriter one expect much from Ray. After a few listenings Americana doesn't t disappoint in that department. The deal,Poetry(with the Steve Harley wink),Good time gals(not credited on the sleeve), A place in your heart and Tanzania are all vintage Ray filled with quotable lyrics, great melodic structures and catchy as glue
    3. The music and arrangements. The Jayhawks provide an organic and cinemascopic musical pallette that instead of showing of really serves the songs. Imo a brilliant musical statement filled with details and sweeping sounds

I think it s a great album

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    rstamberg, e.s., Mazzy and 5 others like this.
  21. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Bits of Poetry are also reminiscent of Starstruck from VGPS, I think.

Luckless Pedestrian likes this.
  22. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

The paradox is that this album sounds so good, whereas the latest Jayhawks record (the otherwise excellent Paging Mr. Proust) really sounded terrible !

Mazzy likes this.
  23. Arnold Grove

Besides the Jayhawks, it should also be mentioned that Ray's longtime guitarist Bill Shanley plays throughout this album too. Bill has toured with Ray on his solo tours, and has played on Ray's past solo efforts. And even latter-day Kinks member Ian Gibbons plays keyboards and accordion here and there on the album too. The last time that I saw Ray in NYC, Ian joined the band onstage for a bit of the set.
    So Ray at least likes ONE former Kinks member... ;)

rstamberg, e.s., Rekkerds and 4 others like this.
  24. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

True-actually Ray and Dave seems to be on speaking terms ago. Perhaps Dave have forgiven Ray for stepping on his 50th birthdaycake. Nothing like family.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Arnold Grove

I think it varies depending on the day of the week. ;)

CheshireCat and Bemagnus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.