New Ray Davies Album 'Americana' Out April 21 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Jan 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Stars and stripes...purple mountains majesties...and Ray.

EDIT: Sir Ray.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  2. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Amazon Blurb:
    This is Ray Davies' first new album in 10 years. It follows his acclaimed 2013 memoir of the same name, and uses the book as both source material and jumping off point. Davies wrote and arranged all the music on 'Americana' and co-produced the album with Guy Massey and John Jackson with the Jayhawks serving as Davies' backing band. 'Americana' was recorded in London at Konk Studios, the legendary studio founded by The Kinks in 1973.
    The album is an autobiographical work, taking inspiration from the vital role America has played in Davies' life over five decades. It also features a number of short spoken-word passages from the memoir. In Davies' own words, "America is such a big story, a vast landscape, you can get lost in it. It's possible in America to go ahead and have a new start somewhere."

3. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I'm in!!! :edthumbs:

Headfone likes this.
  4. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Not a bad deal for the preorder on Amazon.co.uk. Just over £17 shipped to Canada. For some reason the album price was only £14+ at checkout when the list price itself was over £17.

5. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

That's because they take the VAT off when you ship to a foreign address.

6. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Fantastic choice, pre-ordered!

CheshireCat likes this.
  7. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Wonderful news. Workingman's Cafe is good stuff with Other People's Lives close behind. I wonder if there will be a single.

Both of those albums were a bit loud so hopefully Ray turns it down a fraction for this, although I'm not counting on it.

Incidentally, am I imagining it that Konk was going to sold/taken apart a while ago?

CheshireCat likes this.
  8. I loved the last two Ray Davies solo albums... they were very good with some great tracks & some of my love from them involves the velocity of my happy shock, after having really disliked the last 3 Kinks releases before that...

So I'm very excited & cautiously hopeful about this one!

CheshireCat and Bonddm like this.
  9. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member Thread Starter

The new Mojo is out tomorrow here, so I'll report back.

CheshireCat and Kevin55 like this.
  10. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

The Jayhawks also backed Dave Davies on this track.

Rickchick and Rekkerds like this.
  11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Ray is always overly optimistic when it comes to album releases. As mentioned earlier, Americana was supposed to come out about 6-12 months after Working man's Cafe came out. Instead, it took 10 years. So maybe Ray is HOPING to have a quick followup (or an Americana Part II). But unless that second album is all recorded already and just waiting, I'd be very surprised to see a second Ray album anytime soon.

CheshireCat likes this.
  12. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

I almost died of joy reading this. Is this true ?

13. Arnold Grove

^^^Thank you, Mazzy, for posting that!

Mazzy likes this.
  14. Arnold Grove

15. malco49, ajsmith and Bonddm like this.
  16. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

It's not all music on the new cd. Some spoken word passages.

17. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Dr. Winston Ramone and linclink like this.
  18. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

19. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

A no brainer purchase! Really enjoyed the last two solo albums, especially WORKING MANS CAFE, never thinking it would be nine years until the next one! Hope its also released on LP, well, double LP - with 15 new songs. :)

Ken.e. likes this.
  20. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

It just so happens that I have tickets to see the Jayhawks @ Tarrytown Music Hall, NY on the release date, 4/21/2017.

I wonder if there will be any surprise guests? :idea:

Rickchick and CheshireCat like this.
  21. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I love working man's cafe....haven't heard other people's lives yet, need to grab it

Can't wait for Americana

Bonddm and CheshireCat like this.
  22. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Ordered the CD and LP. Then there's volume two due out later this year as well. Still money well spent. :)

23. I'm a big fan id the Kinks (my second all time fave band) but I have to say all that I've been luke warm to all of his solo albums. Something about the bands, the arrangements... they just aren't fully realized to me. I can't say or blame them as being rushed, since the Kinks albums were done pretty fast back in the day, but times are different now.

So far I LOVE this new song. The background vocals that come in out out could have been more fully realized IMHO (wouldn't a higher Dave harmony be perfect?), but I generally like this sound with the Jayhawks -a band I love and have seen many times. Are they on every track or just this one? That is my concern. I really dislike when an album has different backing bands and production values. Love a singular vision which Ray usually has. But of late, not so pin-pointed.

24. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I'm pulling for you that Jon Bon Jovi shows up and duets on all the songs with Ray! :D ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.