New Ray Davies Album 'Americana' Out April 21 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Jan 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

I'm loving the album as a concept, as a whole, as a companion piece to the book and as a collaboration between one of the greatest artists of all time and one of my favorite bands of any style or era (The Jayhawks). I agree that most of the songs themselves are good but mostly not especially great, though.

Early faves : the title track, the Deal (because of Ray's unmistakable delivery and the How Are You bits at the end), Rock'nRoll Cowboys and, yes !, A Place in Your Heart, a worthy descendant of "Oh Where Oh Where Is Love" (duet with a female singer), maybe even better than this lost Preservation 2 classic. Some bits of this song are the most melodic Ray has been in decades…

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, the album works as a whole concept, even if the songs are "good" as opposed to being "especially great". The songs are like pieces of puzzle, so you need them all to see the whole picture.

CheshireCat, Jack and Fortuleo like this.
  3. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Once again, context is everything.
    I wasn't wowed by any of the pre-release tracks, but they work well in the context of the album, which is Ray's strongest solo record, IMO.

Still -- and I kinda hate to say this -- the dynamics would've been stronger with Dave in the mix, I believe.

4. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Received a note from amazon.uk that my vinyl preorder copy of Americana had been returned to them and I'm getting a refund, so no new Ray for me until I reorder. No explanation as to why it was returned. That's what I get for trying to save a couple bucks ordering overseas. After your reports of bad luck with the EU pressing I'm kinda relieved actually.

5. It's a cheap record in the US.

Rekkerds likes this.
  6. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

A few decent songs, but absolutely no thrilling performances. The band is playing way too safely and the production is soft-rock soft. No grit anywhere, the sound reminds me of the last, often forgotten thing the Kinks released, To The Bone. The live recordings on there were so cushioned in reverb that any grit was scrubbed clean off the tape.

Moreover, if Ray has 20 more songs to go, he needs to do some editing. I felt that this album overstayed its welcome by about 8 minutes or so. Finally, I do not see this as a concept album, it is a song score to a book. These songs taken together don't tell a story outside of the book Americana. I will be listening throughout the week, but my initial listens leave me wanting.

marc with a c likes this.
  7. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Hopefully the US pressing is better, the mastering by CB is fantastic and i like the music, it feels like a "grower" kinda album.

Rekkerds likes this.
  8. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Yeah, it's basically the same price now compared with my initial preorder price through amazon.uk (14.36 gbp + shipping). Lesson learned, wasn't sure if the US price would drop like it has, and the GBP has rebounded against the USD. Reordered through Prime, it'll be in my hands by Friday so no worries. Happy to hear most peeps are enjoying it, and that Bellman did the mastering. Should sound awesome!

CheshireCat likes this.
  9. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I like it a lot more on repeated listens, but still prefer Other People's Lives and Workingman's Café.

CheshireCat likes this.
  10. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Let us know if the pressing is ok, Thanks!

11. I got the LP on release day and the pressing is great. It sounds really good.

12. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Thanks Mazzy! :righton:

13. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I don't buy many things on LP anymore but I think the CD sounds really good also .
    Man, I'm really loving this release .
    I'm still in the "play it two times in a row every night" mode. :D

Geez, lately there has been an old guy renaissance or similar. Ray, the Stones, the Monkees and the semi old Radioheads, etc.

We shall see if that McCartney fellow enters the winners circle also with his next release. :p

paulmccartneyistheman and Mazzy like this.
  14. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

My UK copy is pretty much perfect.

Rekkerds likes this.
  15. CheshireCat

It's certainly growing on me too, but, it's not got the standout tracks of 'Other People's Lives' or Working Man's Café' for me. 'Working Man's Café' still his best solo album for me, with tracks like Imaginary Man, The Real World, Vietnam Cowboys, and the title track.

Bonddm likes this.
  16. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Forgot all about this release. Pulling it up now!

CheshireCat likes this.
  17. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Bought this a couple days ago. I bought it at a brick-and-mortar store for US $9.99.

About halfway through a first listen (through 7 tracks out of 15). It's not really clicking with me yet, but that's usually the case with me wrt Ray Davies. I need to give it - at least - a close listen music-wise and a different listen focusing only on the lyrics.

I did notice a female voice on at least two of the first seven tracks.

CheshireCat likes this.
  18. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Love the new album. Rays vision and visions of America.

CheshireCat likes this.
  19. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Got it yesterday, my US copy is perfect, MPO and CB in the deadwax so should be the same press for the world.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  20. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member Thread Starter

I have to admit, since listening to the album more, it has really grown on me and I've completely changed my opinion from my earlier post. Definitely an album that repays repeat plays.

Adam9, CheshireCat and Arnold Grove like this.
  21. Arnold Grove

It's subtly good.

CheshireCat likes this.
  22. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Thank you

23. CheshireCat

I'm coming to the same opinion. Not an 'A' grade album as yet to me, but the tunes are getting stuck in my head. Woke up this morning with 'Long road home to Tarzana' going round...

Fortuleo and jl151080 like this.
  24. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

I slept through the night with 'A Place in Your Heart" going round and round and round…

CheshireCat likes this.
  25. Arnold Grove

Long live Sir Raymond Douglas Davies...

Tord, Adam9, Fortuleo and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.