New Record Label: Intervention Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chosenhandle, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Alexandre

Alexandre Senior Member

Great!
    What about the Gene Clark SACD? Will it ship this week as scheduled?

art and IR Shane like this.
  2. Alexandre

Alexandre Senior Member

Wow! The list of titles to be released in the coming months is awesome.
    I hope they will be available on SACD too.

ispace and IR Shane like this.
  3. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I purchased my first TT once I got back into vinyl in the early 2000's (after only listening to CDs for years) - a Music Hall MMF 5 from Audio Connection. I also purchased other equipment from him over the years, including a pair of Stax Pro Lambda "Earspeakers" with coupled driver unit I bought back in the early 90's.

I also used to live in Verona in a rental as well, a few blocks away on East Lincoln Street. Maybe, jhm, that is where you rented from as well. :)

Moved from Verona a long time ago. Still, I live about 15 to 20 minutes west of there now.

Anyway, my first call was to Audio Connection the day I broke/bent my cantilever on my Clearaudio Concept cart. Even though they were supposed to be open, they weren't - not sure why - and my call was forwarded to a cell phone. When I mentioned I was in the market for a new cartridge, and could they hook me up that day (I happen to be off from work that day in August 2017), I was told to call another number and someone would meet me at the store. I called the other number, someone answered the phone and said they had no idea what they had in stock on carts, but if I gave him 20 minutes to get to the store and open, I could call him back. I said not to bother, but I would call back if I needed to.

That is when I called Audio Nexus, who I knew about but never dealt with. He told me what carts he had in stock, and he suggested what I should get. Anyway, when I said I would come on down to make the purchase, he told me, as mentioned, that he would install at no extra charge to ensure things were right.

So - upshot of the story - if Audio Connection was "open" and more forth coming with information, and I wasn't so impetuous about having a working TT the week I was on vacation - staying home to listen to music - I would have purchased from Audio Connection and never have called Audio Nexus.

After dealing with Audio Nexus, I surmise, regardless of the fact that Audio Connection is stellar in their own right, I would first check out Audio Nexus in Summit if I ever needed to in the future.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    johnny q and jhm like this.
  4. MikeT

For @IR Shane - I assume you are shipping the Gene Clark and Matthew Sweet to Amazon as well? I ask, not because I don't want to order direct from you and your website, but because for me ordering from Amazon is so easy and quick. And I usually, as a Prime member, get the shipment in a day or at most two (and I don't pay for shipping or tax since you are a third party seller out of state). I assume if I ordered from you direct, even if you might benefit a bit more in your pocket if I did, the shipment would take longer to reach me (sorry - no offense intended).

IR Shane and George P like this.
  5. art

art Senior Member

For me, and I know I'm in the minority, but vinyl is down the list of my preferred formats. It's the most colored of those I listen to, all things being equal. Sounds great, yeah, but it's off-putting to me. Not the rolled-off bass or inner-groove distortion or pops or the pain-in-ass cleaning ... the actual capture. I've spent a fortune on turntable and cartridge setups through the years too.

I've recorded, worked with great producers and engineers and have been lucky enough to hear lots of master tapes in studios. My own and others, vintage classics even. I've made records too, pressed to vinyl and CD. Recorded and co-written songs with others, some full-on rock 'n' roll stars. I've listened, a lot. I'm always shocked at how much information is lost when the recording arrives on vinyl. A well mastered hi-res file and SACD work best for me. A well-mastered CD against its same-mastered counterpart on vinyl, and I'll sometimes choose the CD. CD can even sound better, closer.

Go to audio shows and the showrooms all have the same 25 albums on vinyl. It's never the real-world stuff, the stuff that sends me. I was in Chicago and played the Intervention Murray Head in the Luxman room and it stunned people. And like in any field, hype-driven audio technology moves too fast, to many beautiful things are left on the wayside. Example: MQA? Dear god

6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Do you like Talking Heads or XTC? Listen to the surround mixes of those for awhile and then go back to the stereo mixes. The stereo mixes sound so flat and limited sonically and artistically.

7. Dok

Dok Senior Member

I don't believe anyone has posted this little clip -

longdist01, LeeS, IR Shane and 10 others like this.
  8. mattydork

mattydork Forum Resident

I found out about Intervention Records by running across an ad for IR’s version of Earsure’s “Wonderland” that piqued my interest. Already owning the original UK first pressing Mute vinyl, a promo US first pressing Sire vinyl, a first pressing UK Mute CD, a 2 cd/ 1 dvd fan club only re-issue and the recently issued anniversary vinyl edition... I didn’t need another copy.... ever. Once I saw Shane’s name (never mind the Kevin Gray mastering) attached to the label I knew I was in. He was even kind enough to interact with me to assure that this was a legit mastering and release. Of course I bought it and it is now my go-to version. Take advantage of the price drop and check out this album featuring Vince Clarke, one of the founding members of Depeche Mode. I wish this had sold better to ensure future releases like The Circus and even SACDs. But I’ll enjoy what I have.

My second purchase was Big Audio Dynamite. Wow... just wow. This blows away all other versions including the Legacy Edition from Sony. Again, snap up this beauty at the discounted price.

The next purchase was the Billy Squier SACD. Good lord this thing is crankable! I’ve never heard it sound this good.

I now anxiously await my Matthew Sweet SACDs (already ordered) and look forward to the Church SACDs as well.

Thank you Shane for all you are doing. I’m in it for the long haul and anxiously await all the goodies you have lined up for us! One suggestion... King’s X just did a fantastic double vinyl reissue of all of their albums. It would be great to see SACDs of these title too.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  9. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I didn't know that! A quick Google search didn't find them....

EDIT - I saw "Gretchen" on MusicDirect's website.

10. mattydork

mattydork Forum Resident

Some of them appear to be available on Amazon. Not sure how many were pressed but I’ve been getting them from my local store as well. Really worth it especially for Ear Candy.

googlymoogly likes this.
  11. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Do you know what source the label used for these, or who mastered them?

12. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I agree, although I’m an LP guy. The is one of the very few cases where I don’t care who the artist is. If it’s an Intervention release I’m on board until they prove me wrong.

So far, I have everything Shane’s put out. Judee Sill and Murray Head were not even on my radar but I love those reissues. Erasure was a band I knew of but never liked, until I got the Intervention Wonderland.

I don’t know how long a label like this can last (hopefully a long time) but I applaud the effort. The least I can do is buy one of everything.

13. mattydork

mattydork Forum Resident

Not sure of the source but the back of the cover states they are manufactured by Rhino if that means anything. Here is a link to the official Metal Blade site: King's X - Metal Blade Records

longdist01 and googlymoogly like this.
  14. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

fantastic video...

IR Shane likes this.
  15. MikeT

I was able to order Matthew Sweet "100% Fun" Intervention vinyl version from Amazon today, and it will be delivered on Friday!! Gene Clark's "White Light" SACD was listed but as "unavailable", so I assume it could be live in the next day or so, as I planned to order that as well.

IR Shane likes this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member

Maybe June 29? That's the date given at Acoustic Sounds.

17. Alexandre

Alexandre Senior Member

art likes this.
  18. George P

George P Notable Member

19. MikeT

I saw that earlier in the day, but Acoustic Sound would charge shipping if I were to just order that - and there is nothing else I want at the present time to make a$90.00 order. I will wait for Amazon to get stock, where I will have it quickly and with free shipping.

IR Shane likes this.
  20. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

I ordered the Gene Clark SACD from Import CDs as they are in stock at the moment. Decent price at $22.77 plus shipping. Will be interesting to see how it compares with the SHM-CD which is already very good. Hopefully we will get more Gene Clark releases, especially No Other which is crying out for a decent digital release.

art and MartinR like this.
  21. gohill

gohill Senior Member

errrr....Chinatown came after Black Rose too. Black Rose is probably end of the mid period rather than one of the 'final' albums. Agreed both could do with a good digital release though with some nice bass boost.

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  22. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

This is the important part.

23. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

THANK YOU!

LeeS likes this.
  24. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Is it a punch out?

25. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Amazon is the worst. They have it in stock but don't have my listing live even though it's supposed to be shipping now.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    PhantomStranger likes this.