New Record Label: Intervention Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chosenhandle, Aug 6, 2015.

1. mattydork

mattydork Forum Resident

I worked in the music business for a while and grabbed everything Church I could get whenever I would visit the record label. I seriously love this band!

2. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I have three copies of Starfish on vinyl. I really really really want an Intervention 4th.

IR Shane, ad180 and googlymoogly like this.
  3. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Didn't @IR Shane say that his vinyl sales far outstripped his hybrid SACD sales? If it's going to happen, it's most likely to be a vinyl reissue, particularly as the lacquers have already been cut.

AlienRendel, IR Shane and stonedhenge like this.
  4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Good move.

5. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

13 and I’d preorder vinyl and SACD

IR Shane and jimhb like this.
  6. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Please don't cancel! I’m not interested in their shi%%y digitally mastered releases and will go to town on Discogs, Amazon, etc, ensuring people know which version to buy.

Defrance and stonedhenge like this.
  7. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I'm friends with a former Arista rep who has a copy of the CD. I ripped it to my computer, but sadly it's made by Discovery Systems, whose CDs degrade over time and lead to audible data rot. I can tolerate it on the interviews, but the acoustic tracks (which, unlike the 2005 reissue, have good mastering) are unbearable. :(

I'm glad to hear that the SACDs are hybrid. Since the LP lacquers and test pressings have already been cut, LP would be the obvious way to go - but look at the prices for the badly-mastered 2005 and 2011 double CDs... if Intervention has some or all of the bonus tracks and can sell brand new, high resolution copies of the same thing for basically the same price...

8. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

@IR Shane - I would pre-order any Church album you release, vinyl AND SACD.

art, stonedhenge, ad180 and 1 other person like this.
  9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Good point, I have already copied my CD just in case.

10. InStepWithTheStars

I've been told there's some distortion on the interview regardless, but what I hear on the one I ripped is the same thing that I hear on my Life Before Starfish CD - another Discovery Systems pressing which has degraded. I wish I had a video editor on my computer so I could post little comparison videos (not just for this, but other things as well).

I'd take this Starfish release over a video editor, though. :agree:

11. InStepWithTheStars

Worth noting that basically nothing of the Church is in print - I'm really hoping Starfish is able to come out and turn a profit, and hopefully that will in turn open the door for more Church releases from Intervention. Seance is virtually unobtainable for less than $30 on any format at this point, and none of the CDs sound particularly good (with the earliest release having numerous digital errors). I'm freewheeling into the stars right now, but man........

art, SJP, jimhb and 5 others like this.
  12. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Glad I stumbled across this thread tonight - had no idea The Church were touring Starfish and I can now get tickets to see them Oct 20th at the famous Horseshoe Tavern in Toronto, last show I saw there was Swervedriver.

Also I would tell everyone I could there about the vastly superior IR pressing of Starfish, maybe even make a big obnoxious sign so the band reads it too!

13. mattydork

mattydork Forum Resident

I got VIP for the Boulder show! I can’t wait to see the show and meet the guys again. I just wish Marty was touring with them. I had such a crush on him back in the day!

14. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Shane, I'll add my voice for the Starfish SACD for what little it's worth. This is really disappointing to hear. Being as you're an audiophile label that really should count for something but I've no clue as to the dynamics of the marketplace.

art likes this.
  15. McCrutchy

McCrutchy Forum Resident

Listening to Starfish now, and I'm liking what I'm hearing--more than most of the IR catalogue released thus far if I'm honest--and I would definitely be interested in an SACD version. I'm not much for vinyl, but if it must be, then I'd buy it, though I would very much prefer SACD. Perhaps this could be something decided by crowdfunding, and offering both formats as perks?

Either way, I certainly hope Shane will be able to release this. I really enjoyed the Don't Say No SACD.

16. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

This this this.

17. Thanks for mentioning this. I hadn't really noticed that tickets and dates were announced for these shows. Got my VIP as well. I am bummed I have to stand throughout the show in the venue in San Francisco (I have a bad back which makes it a chore to stand for long periods of time) so I guess I will just have to be a dancing fool.

mattydork likes this.
  18. I would buy copies of BOTH vinyl and SACD to get this album released (or, as I mentioned earlier, I would love to see this done through pledgemusic where you would have prepaid purchases for the album).

art likes this.
  19. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Great great albums, but already been reissued a bunch of times, some of which sound pretty decent. It would have to be a pretty big step up for me to buy it (which I suppose is possible). Maybe the SACD feature would entice me.

20. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Great album, musically. I think I have or have had all issues of it, including original UK, and although they are all perfectly listenable, they all have sort of a "mushy" sound to them, definitely not an audiophile type of sound. I'm wondering whether there just isn't that much to work with on the original tapes in terms of sound quality... No idea, really. I would love to be proven wrong!

21. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Did the Stealer's Wheel Ferguslie Park ever actually come out on SACD? I already have the LP but would like an SACD of it.

22. No, I believe it was mentioned that sales were disappointing for Stealers Wheel.

IR Shane likes this.
  23. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

I would pay above your usual price point for the Starfish SACD. Shame for all that work to amount to nothing, and a SACD version -- if they're determined to do the vinyl -- would at least get you something.

art and ad180 like this.
  24. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Good suggestion. I am prepared to pay $50 for every album of The Church at SACD!

I'm also even ready for any fundraising action!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Erick Haight and ad180 like this.
  25. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I would buy the Church on whatever formats available. Vinyl, SACD, cassette, 8-track, wax cylinder, DAT... bring them all on.