New Record Label: Intervention Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chosenhandle, Aug 6, 2015.

1. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

This is a good call- there's a handful left over there and I'm very on the fence about another order.

2. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

So true, but from firsthand experience, it's also a HUGE upgrade over the original LP. And damn if this isn't about the best recorded 90s alt rock album I've heard. Richard Dashut also produced Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, so wow.

lpfreak1170 likes this.
  3. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

@IR Shane Are you a fan of David Wiffen? His 1971 self titled needs a reissue badly (unfortunately those idiots at 4MWB hampered with it a few years back)

4. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

It sounds spectacular, thanks for making this happen shane!

IR Shane likes this.
  5. John D.

John D. Senior Member

There is one less Altered Beast in stock at amazon after I just placed an order. This is my first LP by Matthew Sweet, hope I'm starting in a good place. :thumbsup:

IR Shane and ellingtonic like this.
  6. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

No, there's nothing wrong with starting with "Altered Beast"!

IR Shane likes this.
  7. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

Not sure if this helps but I ordered SACDs of 'Altered Beast' and '100% Fun' from Matthew Sweet's Pledge Music site, it looks like the cheapest option for us in the UK.

IR Shane likes this.
  8. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

It absolutely does help! I take great pride in working directly with artists on their campaigns, so THANKS!

9. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

10. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Shane,

I'm curious--I was trying to total up the costs of a 180g pressing from RTI, with Kevin Gray cutting the lacquer, and Stoughton doing the jackets, and some of the pricing info is available online, but some isn't. Stoughton, for instance, seems to supply custom estimates after you fill out an order form. But I realized quickly that a pressing run of 2k copies would quickly hit the five figure mark. And that's before insurance for getting the master tapes out of the vaults and into the hands of the engineer, licensing fees, and overhead.

Without asking for your trade secrets, can you give us a ballpark figure for ordering up a typical pressing run? It must be staggering to cut those checks in advance of the product getting into your hands.

IR Shane likes this.
  11. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

Shane,
    I'm pleased to hear that. I've been following this thread for a while and have been waiting to pull the trigger on the Matthew Sweet albums, just suffering the usual decision anxiety re vinyl vs SACD! I picked up 'Gilded Palace of Sin' on SACD a while ago so I know you set high standards. Good luck and keep the good stuff coming, NP

IR Shane likes this.
  12. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Adding up costs right now doesn't help me find my happy place. Mid teens to mid 20s for each and every one. So far. it's brutal. The pre-orders through my website are acting as crowd funding, and increasing my "take home" via the direct sales are the keys that are making this possible right now. Both are absolutely crucial to future success.

13. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Thanks, and sorry for any heartburn I may have inadvertently raised! I remember when Music Matters went to a direct-sales-only model. It caused some griping, but must have been a necessary move for them to keep their doors open. I think the gripers didn't have a good understanding of what the costs are, or the cash flow needed to sustain operations and plan future releases. And after distributors, Amazon, other online retailers, take their cut, the margins must be pretty tight.

All of which is to say, the next time I order Intervention Records, I'm coming straight to the source. Good on ya for putting out a quality product.

hutlock and IR Shane like this.
  14. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Sorry Shane, I have a huge buy list- Billy is next :cheers:

IR Shane likes this.
  15. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

My earliest goal was I wanted people to be able to buy wherever and however they were most comfortable. But it's not a coincidence that the independent outfits still standing in the reissue biz own their own established direct sales channels. It's crucial, and while I could kick myself for not seeing it sooner, I also didn't have the infrastructure to do it as capably as I am now. It took time and effort and I couldn't have down it without my current web and marketing team, especially Jessa Zapor-Gray, my Marketing VP.

So as I always say, do what you have to and buy where you have to, but boy am I thankful for every single direct order I get!

16. George P

George P Notable Member

Hi @IR Shane,

Just wanted to say I really enjoyed your 100% Fun SACD. It sounds a lot better than the original CD and I loved the bonus tracks! I will definitely be picking up the other two Matthew Sweet SACDs when they are released. I am also patiently awaiting the Burrito Deluxe SACD. Can't wait to spin that one!

Eigenvector and IR Shane like this.
  17. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

They're all going to be GREAT .Burrito Deluxe's SACD might come before the LP. The jacket on that one is tricky and taking time. I demand a lot on that front and sometimes it happens first try and others it takes multiple passes.

George P and AlienRendel like this.
  18. George P

George P Notable Member

Great news about the Burrito Deluxe SACD!

IR Shane likes this.
  19. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Shane, I recently heard the 100% Fun LP and have to say it was one of the best listening experiences I’ve had in a long time. Beautiful work throughout. Thank you for all your hard work. I hope you’re able to bounce back from the unfortunate emergency soon! Wishing you the best!

IR Shane likes this.
  20. MarshallMan

MarshallMan Forum Resident

Ordered!

IR Shane likes this.
  21. stonedhenge

stonedhenge Forum Resident

@IR Shane,
    How much is shipping to Australia? I'd rather order direct from you if the shipping isn't too much more than Amazon's.

22. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Will more of the Nigel Lived SACD be pressed, or is that it?

IR Shane likes this.
  23. JRF

JRF Forum Resident

IR Shane likes this.
  24. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Hi Shane:
    100% Fun SACD just ordered! Q: Has the plan to offer Field Day on SACD been scrapped? Apologies if I missed it earlier in the thread.

25. Philo

Philo Music Maven

Not interested in vinyl, but SACD....

George P and Shvartze Shabbos like this.