New Record Label: Intervention Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chosenhandle, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Bijan

Bijan Forum Resident

So glad to hear about Starfish. Priest=Aura would be a dream, as it was recorded on tape and has never had a good vinyl pressing.

2. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

x 1,0000 on that!

3. AlienRendel

I'm listening to my not-great sounding picture disc of Mercury Rev's 1995 album "See You On the Other Side" and imagining the degree of improvement that someone like Intervention could make here. It was originally recorded on 35mm magnetic film, so the original tapes should be pretty incredible.

4. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I had no idea that album was recorded to 35mm filmstock. Shades of the Mercury classical recordings, eh?

IR Shane likes this.
  5. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Yes! I would also add Heyday, Seance and the Blurred Crusade.

JeffMo, IR Shane and AlienRendel like this.
  6. AlienRendel

The first 4 Mercury Rev albums all were, not sure why except that Dave Fridmann liked the extended range.

IR Shane and googlymoogly like this.
  7. Frightwig

Frightwig Forum Resident

Me too!

8. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Dave Fridmann, Man of Extended Range

AlienRendel likes this.
  9. mattydork

mattydork Forum Resident

Thank you for your attention and concern @irshane. You consistently show integrity in runing a business every day.

It appears the disc has now shown back up in Seattle at this point so it may be on its way back to you. This is after the post office assured me that it would be in my hands no later than November 1. Ugh. USPS baffles me at times. By contrast, my Rhett Miller vinyl showed up 2 days after it shipped from VA on Thursday (it was slated for the following Tuesday) and was only regular mail as well. At any rate, I apppreciate anything you can do so I can finally hear the amazing work you put into 100% Fun... thank you.

IR Shane likes this.
  10. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Message me with your particulars. this charade has to end. I'll get you a disc!

hutlock and George P like this.
  11. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

$8. Wow.

12. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Which is more desirable to you? Heart Food or Self titled? I'd probably do one at a time.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  13. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

That's a tough one. I got into Judee Sill through the 'Abracadabra: The Asylum Years' double CD reissue so I always associate them as being part of the same project. I guess, if you put me on the spot, then I would give Heart Food the slight edge.

joeym3 and IR Shane like this.
  14. Alexandre

Alexandre Senior Member

Heart Food for me but I'll buy Self titled too, if it gets released.

IR Shane and joeym3 like this.
  15. tomd

tomd Senior Member

IR-How about Iggy Pop-Brick By Brick (1990-featured “Candy”) for vinyl AND SACD reissue?

16. mattydork

mattydork Forum Resident

So... @irshane shipped me another Matthew Sweet 100% Fun SACD that actually showed up! The original shipment from October 10 is still floating around the West coast for some odd ass reason. Thank you USPS for actually doing your job! Here is my original promo vinyl along with the Advance CD and IR's SACD getting all cozy. This reissue sounds so good y'all! You need to own this now! Thanks to Shane for being so amazing! This guy is so legit and gives a **** about us die hard audiophiles!

Matthew Sweet 100% Fun
    [​IMG]

longdist01, JeffMo, IR Shane and 5 others like this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member

Shane is 100% awesome!

18. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I got the email about the Cyber Monday deal (I can't even remember how I ended up subscribed to the mailing list, but I'm glad I did). I feel like an ass because I promised to get the Flying Burrito Bros' SACDs months ago, but that never happened and I sort of disappeared from the discussion. I've said before that, without hearing one note of what they've done, IR is one of my favorite labels just for the attention to detail and the hands-on approach Shane has with the fans.

I want to support this label so badly, but the Burritos are the only artist available that I have any interest in, and even then, I'm only a casual fan. I've been having a really hard time justifying the $60 price tag for two pleasant-but-nonessential albums (which I already own on a twofer anyway). So, with this Cyber Monday deal, I'm finally going to kick myself in the ass and grab them. I feel a little bit scummy for waiting for a price reduction to finally make good on my promise. But if this is what it takes to tell my stupid tightwad brain to help out, it's what I'm doing. I know IR needs all the money they can get. And I know the product is going to be fully worth it.

Once the Church thing finally gets underway, I will be right at the front of the line to help out there. I enjoy Gram's stuff, but I'll admit it kind of blends into the background for me; conversely, I've sunk probably close to a grand into the Church's stuff in this year alone. I will have no issues supporting this release. I'll buy multiple copies if it will help fund a SACD release, and then I'll probably buy two copies of that (one to play, one to keep sealed and marvel at).

In short: I'm a tightwad, I feel bad about it, long live IR.

Juggsnelson, jimhb and Geee! like this.
  19. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I realize it would jump to a different label (A&M Records), but I'd also extend this suggestion back to the 80s releases Blah Blah Blah (1986) and Instinct (1988).

That was a sweet spot for me (and for Shane, since we're basically the same age) to be experiencing Iggy Pop in real time as a teenager, a la MTV and college radio. And in retrospect he was working with some interesting collaborators back then: David Bowie, Bill Laswell, Steve Jones.

Putting out a trio of Iggy Pop albums from this era seems to fit the IR approach of tackling multiple albums by an artist.

Craig.

IR Shane and Chris Bernhardt like this.
  20. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

The Matthew sweet lp's are so beautiful, i almost feel bad for playing them! Intervention has raised the bar for pop /rock reissues, these are just freakin' gorgeous and sound incredible.

longdist01, Juggsnelson and IR Shane like this.
  21. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I very much agree with @ParanoidAndroid on this. As a digital only guy, this is a classic case of nothing readily available on CD until early 2000's on Rhino and nothing special sounding, with a rare Japan CD out there from the late 90's I've never tried nor particularly want to chase down all the while imagining how great this would be on IR SACD. I would buy both in any order and will defer to those that know her art better and say Heart Food is fine by me please.

ParanoidAndroid likes this.
  22. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Is the cyber Monday deal a code to enter? I didn't get an email but I have bought a lot of IR product including the Matthew Sweet SACD subscription.

23. marka

marka Forum Resident

Imprint label is a great idea if 180 is part of your branding.

You’ve lost that part of your branding if you do regular weight, so you need to decide if it’s important.

IR Shane likes this.
  24. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I would be totally in on these too!!

ParanoidAndroid likes this.
  25. marka

marka Forum Resident

I would pre-order today for Traffic, especially if you could get our host to master it.

longdist01 and ad180 like this.