New Record Label: Intervention Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chosenhandle, Aug 6, 2015.

1. @IR Shane how does your process work in determining which releases you go after?

For instance, what was the process with the Joe Jackson & Everclear releases?

That may help us in our suggestions, I figure, to make them more realistic. Also, since I doubt any of us participating are in the business, it would provide a bit of insight which could be really fascinating.

IR Shane likes this.
  2. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Holy cow, the Vapors?? Is that the "I'm turning Japanese" band? Amazing song. Was there a video of that? Gotta hit up Youtube! Thanks for the flashback on that, I still hear that song in my head all the time.

Reminds me I ought to look into the Knack. two or three brilliant tunes on that one. "Good Girls Don't"

3. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Be careful, I can't guarantee I won't go totally off the reservation one of these days, in fact, if I don't freak people out from time to time I'm probably not doing it right!

4. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

My wish list-

Fairport Convention- Holidays, Unhalfbricking and Liege & Lief. All-analogue with tip-on sleeves.

Also, Chris Bell- I Am The Cosmos, same as above.

That's about it for me.

Doc Wilco, RobCos02330, Dingo and 7 others like this.
  5. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Make sure you don't miss this track...though the entire album is packed with sleepers.

Spring Collection - The Vapors

The Vapors....Spring Collection. »

(Always loved the bass line on this one)

IR Shane likes this.
  6. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

I LOVE this question! The process is simple in its basic sense- I go after artists and records I love, and that hopefully haven't been reissued. Joe Jackson and Everclear were on the very first lists I ever sent to Universal, and among the titles I wanted to do the most. It didn't surprise me so much that Everclear hadn't been done, but I was absolutely flabbergasted that no one had done the first two Joe Jackson LPs. Those are absolute gems, and I guess I thought from hearing the original LPs, rough as they are, that there would be enough on the tapes to get a definitive vinyl edition. I have to say I'm equally surprised that no one has done the other JJ titles either, and I won't make a secret that I'm trying to get more of his titles.

That nutshell above is kind of it. I prefer titles that haven't been reissued, but even if a title has been done I'll still do it if I know I can make the definitive version. Night and Day was an example of that- I had the tapes but really had to hear what Kevin could do with it before moving ahead to that final stage. I can see that happening again, and in fact am in discussions for titles where that would be the case. My confidence in both Kevin and Ryan Smith is so high, as long as we get great sources I'm confident we'll knock it out of the park.

I think if my label has had an ethos and attitude from the beginning it's to not go after the audiophile chestnuts. There are plenty of other good labels mining those areas of the catalog, the world doesn't need me doing that too.

I'm 46, and I love a ton of that music from the 80s and 90s, and if I'm not the one who's going to do them justice on vinyl who is??

7. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

WOW!! I LOVE that song and I just have to tell you, me and Aldo Nova and their singer had the same haircut for a time back in the 80s!

8. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

The whole album is really good. Some of it is amazing, though. It really doesn't get the respect it deserves.

I think you guys could do it a great deal of justice, provided the source tape is still good.

riknbkr330 and IR Shane like this.
  9. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

I don't know Chris Bell, and I don't do folk very often but when I do, it's those three albums. I have UKs of all three!

10. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

I am going to look into it! BTW, a big part of the process is always the forensics of figuring out just who in the heck owns the rights today in the here and now. So many labels have contracted into so few, and sometimes UK acts from a given original label are with one new parent label while US acts another.

I'm going to get an original either way, I can't believe I don't have that!

Guitarded likes this.
  11. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

If you can't find a clean copy, PM me and I'll send you one.

Awesome.
    If you end up doing it, be forewarned that I will be hitting you up for a Test Pressing!

IR Shane likes this.
  12. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

I work really fast- I found a 1st UK at Discogs. You are on for the TP!

Guitarded likes this.
  13. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident

How about a nice remaster of the Huey Lewis And The News record Sports? I always thought this album was mixed too loud, which maybe they were going for but personally I never liked. I had the song Heart And Soul on an old mix tape and I'd be forced to turn theboom box down when it came in...annoying!!

IR Shane likes this.
  14. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

I grew up in the bay area. The video where he gets on the SF-Marin Fairy boat in the red suit and black shirt, hitting the alka seltzer and shaving, awesome!

landerstnkb likes this.
  15. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Couple of heavier bands that are most definitely in need of an immediate "Intervention": TOOL (especially Aenima), and Bend, Oregon's Floater...

mpayan and IR Shane like this.
  16. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

They're from Bend? I go there a few times a year and try to drain Deschutes Brewing. Great record store there too, Ranch Records.

17. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Huey lives right down the road from me.

I used to Guide him on the River, but he doesn't tip very well. So, I stopped booking him.

landerstnkb and IR Shane like this.
  18. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

THANKS for starting this thread!

Geee! and landerstnkb like this.
  19. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

They seem to drift between Bend, Eugene, and Portland. Such a great band.

IR Shane likes this.
  20. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Glad to hear that IR Shane is also looking to do more Joe Jackson albums, 'Body & Soul', 'Big World', 'Blaze of Glory', 'Laughter & Lust', 'Heaven & Hell' & 'Night & Day-Part 2' would be awesome. I liked 'Night Music' a lot also actually.

But I have enough on my 'To Buy' List for later this year, so no hurry. It does not make sense for me to order any Vinyl over the Summer with any packages sitting in the heat of delivery trucks, so will see what I can afford in the Fall, but 'Look Sharp' & 'Night & Day' are at the top of my 'To Buy' list(along with some of the EU Vinyl versions of Pink Floyd Reissues). My hopes are not high on The CURE releases, but we will see, as maybe they will be good and at decent price.

IR Shane likes this.
  21. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Have you heard Menomena? I have their album Mines, and like it a lot. Have to try a couple of others of theirs.

stevenalejandro likes this.
  22. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

The Cure was denied, and i have to tell you that is one band whose catalog I would seriously kill or die to do. I hope and hope it becomes available to me later.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  23. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Someone on the JJ Thread asked for some Concrete Blonde.

That guy is alright.

IR Shane likes this.
  24. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Did the band or label deny your request?

25. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

It's probably not helpful to have said anything at all or give more details, other than an expression of love for the band and its records and a never fading hope that one day I'd be able to work on that catalog! It would be a dream!