New Record Label: Intervention Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chosenhandle, Aug 6, 2015.

1. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Few things- Phill Brown's recording has true dynamics, and they are very WIDE and explosive. I play this record 2-3 ticks below my typical listening level. the quiet parts are really quiet while loud is LOUD.

Second, we cut at 45 RPM with plenty of room for everything. There's no business where we drove the levels high on opening tracks to get anyone's attention. Kevin isn't into that and neither am I. It's just not necessary on his rig at all, and we can hear those tricks on the original cuts fairly often.

Three, similar artifacts at the same geographical records can be an indicator that cartridge alignment might need a touch up. I'd expect that more on an inner groove than outer, but things do change. Good luck!

googlymoogly likes this.
  2. Dok

Dok Senior Member

So, are we shooting for a Spring 2018 SACD release? :)

3. George P

George P Notable Member

Any idea on the ETA for it?

IR Shane likes this.
  4. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I liked Judee Sill's stuff right away, but then I like the milieu she came out of. Joni Mitchell, whom I also enjoy, was more of a slow burn with me.

5. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

No idea, the deal isn't complete. I expected it to be by now.

George P likes this.
  6. George P

George P Notable Member

I have my fingers crossed. Please keep us posted?

IR Shane likes this.
  7. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Yes, that should hold. I just got my production quotes today, so the process is in place.
    Of course! I have been btw, there literally hasn't been any news in weeks. Getting setup with DADC took a while.

art and George P like this.
  8. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I just received the Flying Burrito Brothers SACD from Music Direct. Having my first listen now. Have never owned or heard this album before but the sound quality on this SACD is superb! Not sure yet if this music is my cup of tea but top quality sound and package.

9. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I had the same experience, my first copy of Gilded was bowl-shaped. It came from Acoustic Sounds, with 6 other records that were fine,
    so i don't think only 1 record that could have something happen in shipping when the rest are not affected. I returned it (paid for shipping
    twice, as part of the shipment, and the return, ouch) I sourced a replacement locally who checked it for me to make sure, and it was perfect.

I almost never ship 1 record, and frequently have one item warped out the batch, so i'm thinking it was that way from the factory.
    My last order had the RTI pressed Bad Company album, it's dished too. Not rare for them, sadly.

10. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

I can't remember the last time I got an RTI pressed record that wasn't dished. Oh, except most of the MM LPs that I have.

11. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Cross-posted on the GPOS thread.
    Received Gilded Palace of Sin SACD today.
    Joy. Rapture.
    Never imagined this could happen.
    Thanks to Shane & all involved.
    AFAIR, Mike Fremer recommended this album to you.

IR Shane, Grampire and George P like this.
  12. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Any thoughts on doing Huey Lewis' first S/T album from 1980?

That was ridiculously overlooked back in the day. One of the better ones from that time, along with Joe Jackson's catalog.

soundboy and IR Shane like this.
  13. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

What do you mean by " call in" your cartridge

14. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I assume he means substitute/change to.

15. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

VERY true: I had listened to a lot of FBB's later stuff with my uncle as a youngster. Michael and I were in a record store together and he pulled out an A&M first press and said "if you don't have this you need to get one." Got it!

George P likes this.
  16. Randy S

Randy S Ibuprofen junkie In Memoriam

I seem to be the only one excited about Marshall Crenshaw. I hope KG has lots of magic dust for that one. Hopefully the 11/17 date holds.

Shane, I don’t see this one on Amazon? Will Acoustic Sounds ship so that I’ll receive on the 17th?

IR Shane likes this.
  17. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

He's great! His song "Whenever You're On My Mind" is an under-appreciated American rock classic. If that song had been covered by the Beach Boys, it would have been one of their top-selling standards.

Very nice guy too - met him in the studio once. He emerged around the same time as Chris Isaak, also insanely talented. Always felt they were both part of the same unnamed genre, unique to that era.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    IR Shane, Hep Alien, Randy S and 2 others like this.
  18. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Since others have been throwing out suggestions for IR releases here's my shot.

Intervention Records suggested release:

Emitt Rhodes S\T.

A cult classic that has expanded beyond cult status.
    I label this a “Unicorn” album. A one-of-a-kind, unique album much like other IR releases.
    Listed are my criteria, hopefully enough to pique IR’s interest.
    Excellent unfutzed with recording all around especially considering Rhodes recorded it himself and plays every sound on the album. Mixed at the legendary Sound City Studios and it sounds like it.
    While this album has been issued several times on CD in various forms by various labels, as far as I can find it has never had a vinyl re-release since the original ABC\Dunhill in 1970, which, ahem, I bought that same year.

IMO, this album deserves a 45rpm release given the nice bass, lots of piano and drum content.
    Taste is obviously subjective but while some may find it a bit sweet, in my experience it is supremely melodic and rhythmic.
    If I was going to assign a genre label to the music it would be Sunshine Pop without the sophisticated arranging\production.
    FWIW, I’m not a vinyl adherent but am format agnostic. I do believe that Vinylites would love a “pure” analog release and I also believe that vinyl release sales would absolutely justify a SACD release as well.
    I realize that getting licensing contracts signed are fraught with peril and this is merely a fan request.

19. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Joe Jackson-Summer in the City is a fab - well done :edthumbs:!
    ATB,
    Mark

IR Shane and Geee! like this.
  20. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Once through on The Gilded Palace Of Sin SACD and it is really great no doubt about it; I can't see how you could get this one any better sounding. I must first say I was half not sure I would be getting this one as I had the Sin City compilation where these tracks sounds pretty darn good already; but I am really glad I got this as it is, in such a well balanced way, more holographic/engaging with the rightest balance of warmth/analog/richness, but nothing ever overdone to get that; just really solid mastering just like one hopes to get. The tape seems like it must be in pretty darn great shape because everything sounds perfect in that regard. It may get overlooked that this album has heaps of great little production touches and nuances everywhere and they all stand out so very well here. I think having the kick drum in Hippie Boy sounding so good might be the price of admission alone. I'm looking forward to the other SACDs hopefully coming early next year. Great job again on this one team IR, that hits the spot.

IR Shane, wwright and George P like this.
  21. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Very interesting idea. I've heard about that album but never heard it. I'll chase it down.

mongo, CraigVC and sacsongs like this.
  22. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

SO GLAD you like it!

23. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Every time I hear a single song from this album I'm singing it to myself for days!

wwright likes this.
  24. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Great album. Easy to find cheap, though.

25. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

What about Song To A Seagull, Clouds, and For The Roses, the three early Joni albums that weren't reissued by Rhino for whatever reason. I might even prefer the latter two as 45 RPM sets, FWIW.