New Red Hot Chili Peppers album 'The Getaway' coming June 17

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JasonA, May 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

The new single gets better with each listen. Love it.

2. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Anthony's fave is the title track - I think he mentioned that on an interview for Rolling Stone.
    Looking forward to listening to this one, particulary.

Loved the first single.

3. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

theshape likes this.
  4. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

More of the same...:(

amoergosum likes this.
  5. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

6. Blaine Jacobs

Blaine Jacobs Forum Resident

I like the new song. Just pre-ordered the album, too.

7. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

This album looks to be shaping up nicely. Really like the new song.

8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I like what I'm hearing. It's a major slog to get there, but I'm thinking it might be worth heading to the Fuji Rock Festival to see the Chili Peppers and Babymetal on the same day!

9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

It seems like the Fuji Rock Festival always gets some great acts. I've always been impressed by the 'tapes' that circulate of bands that have performed there...

10. I like what they've become. It's almost like another band, musically, and it rarely relates much to their early material, but I like what this material is. It's not a negative to have more melody in music. And the rhythm section is still really, really good.

11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

While other Festivals are turning increasingly to "name" headliners, Fuji Rock has generally stayed within its alternative music boundaries.

12. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Maybe if the album is a good one... Mr. Hoffman will have an opportunity to work the magic he worked on Stadium Arcadium.... and boy did he work miracles on that one....

13. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Suprised and enjoying the two tracks on the pop-y side of RHCP.

14. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

[​IMG]
    The first review has been published...

The Dutch Magazine OOR has published the first review of Red Hot Chili Peppers’ new album The Getaway. Read the translated review below, which may have poor grammar due to the online translation:

‘As George Martin and The Beatles belong together, Tony Visconti and David Bowie, so Rick Rubin belong to the Red Hot Chili Peppers: less than a quarter of a century, he gave them their signature sound and he experienced a lot of highs and lows. Forever fused, you might say, but not so: for The Getaway was Brian Burton aka Danger Mouse (Gnarls Barkley, among others, Gorillaz, Beck, Black Keys) tied, while the mix was done by Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich. Of thick timber exchanged for refinement. But did it matter? Yes and no. Yes, because the hand of Danger Mouse is clearly audible at times, because he brought his mate Daniele Luppi, the arranger with whom he has a penchant for Italian soundtracks common.

On The Getaway so regularly at once graceful and subtle string arrangements piano themes. The drums of Chad Smith, normally a stonemason from the square type, sound a lot more elegant. It must be said: it is the men well, some refinement, especially with someone like John Frusciante which can no longer offer. For the rest – for the second half of the ‘yes and no’ just to cut – The Getaway offers not very much new under the sun. This Chili Peppers by the book, as pastor I’m With You that was, though it sounds The Getaway more zeal.

Wherein the gaze focused resembles their own musical past. Just look at Flea’s old fashioned slap bass in single Dark Necessities, it strongly Under The Bridge spheres leaning The Longest Wave, the unguided funk projectile Detroit (which harks back to the sound of The Uplift Mofo Party Plan 1987) and the almost parody-like eighties sound of Go Robot. And then there’s Anthony Kiedis, whose lyricist actually his whole career has been trying to come into balance with its past (full of sex, drugs and death) and there on The Getaway diligently continue with (in Feasting On the Flowers is again a reference to the 1988 deceased Peppers guitarist Hillel Slovak), Kiedis already claimed in a radio interview that the album deals about recent relationship troubles. Anyway, the musical tone is generally light and visible: The Getaway can be largely sounds like a lighthearted, funky pop record where the four Californians emphatically as sound itself, but – thanks to Danger Mouse and a lot of strong song material – much tastier and inspired than you would expect in the year 2016.’

pghmusiclover likes this.
  15. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

amoergosum and pablorkcz like this.
  16. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

17. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Meh... :sigh:

18. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

I love the Peppers but I just can't really get into anything after OHM, and I have tried (and will continue to try). 6 pages deep into this thread and nobody has called out their best guitarist, Hillel Slovak (RIP). The others are certainly accomplished but I feel the band was at its "Red Hottest", its "Chili Pepperest", when they melted faces with Uplift Mofo Party Plan. It also happens to be their best sounding/recorded LP. Skeptical? Pick up an original '87 press for about $15, drop the needle, and turn up the volume. Pure FUNK rock; before 401k's, "slick" production, and pesky melodies.

That said, I would rather live in a world with RHCP still banging away than without. All the best to them and their new album.

enro99 and pez like this.
  19. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Love this.

20. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Funky Pop Zeal!

21. pez

pez Forum Resident

Just pre ordered the cd. Lookin forward to it.. modern guilt is my favourite beck album and I really rate dangermouse as a producer. Fingers crossed for a modern classic

22. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

23. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Anthony is starting to look like the lovechild of Noel Gallagher and Freddie Mercury.

24. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Somebody buy Corden a bra, please

Nick Scott likes this.
  25. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Love UMPP, my favorite early Pepper. Frusciante made the band better!

nitsuj likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.