New Rega Brio for 2017

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mintsauce, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Has some time this morning to listen a bit more to the new Brio in the background as I was working on a few things. Really pretty impressed with it so far (hooked up to a pair of KEF LS50's). Still have a long way to go before my demo unit is broken in, but I would say that is quite good....and a fantastic bargain at the current $995 price point.

Ivand likes this.
  2. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Now it's even uglier!

ls35a likes this.
  3. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I agree. Maybe it's just me but I prefer the regular old full sized wide case of the Brio3 to this.

4. Carraway

Carraway Well-Known Member

I'm really interested in the Brio. Ideally I could find a shop within a reasonable distance--all the nearby ones are gone--to audition the Brio against a Rogue Audio Sphinx and a couple others in the price range.

5. fitzchris72

fitzchris72 Forum Resident

Just picked one up today from Audio Concepts in Dallas. Just got it hooked up and the first thing I put on was my 45 rpm MOFI copy of I Robot. Very pleased right out of the box. Previously was using a very nice Marantz 2240B through a Pro Ject Tube Box S and my table is a Rega RP6 with the Exact cart. Already a much fuller, detailed soundstage. Need to spend more time with it but very optimistic based on my very short time with it.

6. GoldprintAudio

I have the Sphinx and Brio here, but not sure if I'm considered a "reasonable distance" from you! :righton:

Carraway likes this.
  7. Carraway

Carraway Well-Known Member

A little over seven hours by car seems a bit much for an audition, but it sounds like a nice side trip on the way to visiting relatives around Hickory. No plans on that for a while, though. Can I ask if you'd like to share any impressions?

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  8. GoldprintAudio

Still have a LONG way to go before the Brio is broken in, but really quite impressed with it so far.

Carraway likes this.
  9. marksas3

marksas3 Member

Any updates? Is this there much of difference in SQ alone between this new model and the previous?

10. GoldprintAudio

Sorry...but not really. Been swamped here honestly. I have about 10 to 12 hours on the demo, and I can tell you that I like it quite a bit. But no real impressions on the difference b/t it and the R version. I can tell you that it's at least as good at this point....so I am guessing that likely in the end will be the better piece all around.

11. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

So is the phono stage in the Brio comparable (identical?) to the Rega Fono Mini A2D?
    Or perhaps the Fono? (probably hoping for too much on that one!)

12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

IIRC they are all the same. Perhaps someone has a more definitive answer.

13. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

There's a glowing review of the Brio on the online What Hi-Fi? out today.

Ivand, Mintsauce and GoldprintAudio like this.
  14. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Well, the Fono is definitely better than the Mini, good though that is. If I get hold of a Brio I'll try and compare to the Fono.

15. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I have a Brio R and a Fono MM and the winner? The fono MM...

16. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Rega Brio review »

17. marksas3

marksas3 Member

Excellent, thanks for the link!

18. GoldprintAudio

After spending a little more time with the new Brio, I think the WhatHIFI review is pretty much spot one. A little more detailed/cleaner sound then the -R, and yet taking away little of the forwardness that you could hear at times in the -R. Just a bit sweeter in the mids/highs.... really pretty impressive. A fantastic buy at it's price.

Ivand likes this.
  19. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Despite not liking the looks of the 2017 Brio, I'm pleased that Rega have added a headphone out. I wonder how it compares to their wonderful Ear amp. I'm convinced the Brio (in any form) is a future classic.

20. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

I have one coming. I'll report my impressions fully when it's broken-in (+/- 200 hrs).

marksas3 and Mintsauce like this.
  21. AmericanHIFI

I can't help myself but to post a teaser.
    Summarizing main traits- the new Brio amp is:
    Dynamic, realistically quick, lucid, quiet, textured and nuanced, natural (not 'audiophile colored), out of the way of signal, and an above expectations onboard performing headphone amp. A class act and second to none in it's category. Many competitors don't sound this good up to $1500. Most of these conclusions attained on RX3s and (Andrew Jones) ELAC Unifi 5 towers.
    Sources used were Planar 3/Elys 2, Apollo-R, DAC-R.

BRAVO Rega! Thank you!

More to come......

BuckNaked, bhazen, Mintsauce and 2 others like this.
  22. AmericanHIFI

Also....Left out a mention about the phono stage: a clear upgrade in every way over the performance previously known in the R model.

23. AmericanHIFI

I would also have to concur with the current and recent review in WhatHIFI. Spot-on and I feel it has more to go.

24. Nonda

Nonda New Member

I looking to choose my new amplifier between rega brio 2017 and rega elex-r with kef ls50. I find both amps have good reviews and its not easy call as their price difference is small. My research so far suggests that the new brio is newer and brio series seems more popular whereas elex r has more power but older. Any experience with elex-r ?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Morbius likes this.
  25. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

I think the Elex R was introduced in 2014, so it is relatively new.

Nonda likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.