New Rega Exact - Riding Low?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rischa, Apr 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rischa

rischa Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just installed a new Exact on my RP3 - does it look like it's riding a bit low? I can't remember if my previous 2 Exacts were like this or not. Hoping I don't have a bum suspension.

[​IMG]

2. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle

Looks pretty low, are you sure on the tracking force? Hard to say without knowing the camera angle, looks like you were a bit above the record plane, below is one grabbed from imgur that seems to have more clearance, and looks about the same angle as your shot ...

[​IMG]

rischa and The FRiNgE like this.
  3. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Uh Oh! I think your suspicion is correct, bum suspension! Looks like it's about to bottom out with a slight record warp! Just to be sure, re-check the tracking force, better if you have a gauge handy!

rischa likes this.
  4. rischa

VTF is a comfy 1.73 on the digital scale. Thanks for posting the pic - mine is definitely lower than that.

louis_anthony and The FRiNgE like this.
  5. rischa

Here's a pic with the camera closer to the record surface (though a bit crooked). Definitely dosen't look like the pic @Davey posted above. Glad I ordered from Music Direct this time.

[​IMG]

6. souladdikt

souladdikt Forum Resident

Mine is riding about that low. I can post a pic tomorrow. But I've got about 60 hours on it now and haven't noticed any issues. It's my second Exact and never bothered to compare it to the old one. Maybe I'll try playing a warped record later and see how it holds up.

rischa likes this.
  7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Definitely looks too low. I have an Exact on my Planar 2 with 450 hours on it and it's nowhere near as low to the record as that, and that's with approximate 1.75g tracking force.

Dan Steele and rischa like this.
  8. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

Stylus SRA looks reasonable. How does it sound?

9. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

This is my setup — I’ve tried to get the photo as straight as possible . . .

[​IMG]

Dan Steele and rischa like this.
  10. rischa

That looks correct to me unlike mine. Thanks for posting. Nice pic, by the way.

Dan Steele and SJR like this.
  11. rischa

A little distorted actually. I was checking my setup to see if everything was correct when I noticed how low it looked. My other Exacts always sounded great but there's something off about this one.

12. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Rischa: Let me ask the obvious......could your TT mat be too thick for the Exact, thereby pushing the record too close to the sylus?

13. rischa

No mat -- I have a Groovetracer Delrin platter that's designed to be used without one.

14. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

No worries. I hope you sort yours out.

rischa likes this.
  15. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

If it's new contact the dealer or email the photo to Rega. Doesn't look right.

16. rischa

Ordered from Music Direct last week. They're pretty good about this sort of thing in my experience so hopefully won't be a problem to exchange.

17. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

It supposed to ride low, but not that low. Same thing happened to mine and I got an exchange.
    My dealer said that the cart should never bump against the record.

rischa and Fishoutofwater like this.
  18. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

ok, well that's that. :)

19. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

Now I’m paranoid about the height of my Rega Exact. Does it look ok to you guys?

[​IMG]

Dan Steele likes this.
  20. souladdikt

This thread got me paranoid too. My Exact sounds great, so I never bothered to check the height after swapping in a new one recently. I played a record with a bad warp this morning and it's not hitting the record. I can't get a good pic at the moment, but it's riding about as low as the two low examples posted here. I guess I'm just going to keep playing records and I'll try to forget about this thread.

Car likes this.
  21. rischa

Oh no! Sorry if I caused you guys cartridge anxiety! That's the last thing we all need right now. I've had a lot more time to obsess over my system and it's definitively not healthy.

Day_Tripper2019 and souladdikt like this.
  22. souladdikt

No worries. I actually feel pretty lucky at the moment. I'm going to enjoy some good music and be thankful for my health and my job. As I said, my Exact is sounding great. If the suspension craps out early it's not a big deal, all things considered.

rischa likes this.
  23. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

Completely right to my eye.

Dan Steele likes this.
  24. Car

Car Forum Resident

Mine rides really low too, and I have moments when I question if it’s too low... but when it sounds like it does, I just have to concede that it’s fine....

25. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

Thanks!!

Kristofferabild likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.