New Rega P6 help

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rainsoothe, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gov

gov Forum Resident

Is your table perfectly level? I would also think that placing a big ole phone on the outside of a platter on an unlevel table would manifest in faster speeds on the lower side and slower speeds on the higher side.

Morbius likes this.
  2. Randy S

Randy S Ibuprofen junkie In Memoriam

Curious, did you need to adjust the speed or was it correct out of the box?

3. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

From another thread:

4. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Take it back and get the Technics. It's a much better table. Really.

5. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

No, it was 33.4-33.6 before adding the Neo TT-PSU and was 33.4+ before adjusting to 33.31-33.34. So it’s more speed correct and with less variability.

Randy S likes this.
  6. rainsoothe

rainsoothe New Member Thread Starter

The P6 comes with the Neo PSU.

Also, I leveled the tt with Roksan bubble level, and the app shows the same variation whether I place it on the platter or in the center, on a record weight. I can also hear the variation on every record I play, if it wasn't audible, I wouldn't care about the measurements.

I'm waiting to receive an Edwards Audio Little Belter, see if that helps.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll keep you posted. Sorry for late response, but it's the season to be running around, talking to Santa.

timztunz likes this.
  7. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Did you try adjusting the best via the PSU yet?

8. rainsoothe

No, the allen key was missing lol. Dealer said they'd send me one

9. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Being an audiophile means to be masochist in nature. If you love music, a $300 boombox gives you 95% satisfaction with respect to a $50k system (which I own), and it is much less troublesome. Reading threads about turntables I realise Rega's are the perfect audiophile product.

Bubbamike and H8SLKC like this.
  10. Leonthepro

I dunno about that. An Audiophile just wants the sound closest and as faithful to the source as possible, you dont have to pain yourself to do that. If you care enough about things you might seek improvements, which may or may not cause you a headache. If you dont care at all it doesnt matter if you have phone speakers or million dollar drivers to listen to, as proven by friends who like their phones.
    Its not about being an audiophile, its about how much you care and how you enjoy the hobby.

11. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

I think Rega recommend the RPM app not Turntabulator.
    I have an RP6 that did have speed issues...I also purchased a Neo psu, and straight out of the box the speed was "exact" using both apps and a strobe. They also forgot to include the speed adjustment key, but they were apologetic and it arrived in the post the day after my call.

AaronW and Leonthepro like this.
  12. rainsoothe

Hi everyone, and happy new year!

Just a quick update: I installed the Edwards Audio Little Belter, and the variation is almost completely gone. The tt is running a bit slower altogether, but I'll adjust that via the PSU at a later date. The app now "flickers" between 33.2 and 33.3, and again, the speed is almost completely stable - I can't even tell if it's the tt or a warped vinyl, and when it appears (which is rare) it's only audible with the most sustained notes, and even then, it's like something is just a bit off, not going almost a semitone up and down, like it was before.

Guess Rega QC still holds true to it's name. Anyway, in case some run into the issue I had, try this cheap upgrade first, it might be all you need to fix this issue.

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone.

P.S.: it's a great sounding tt, the P6

13. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I had a Rega 6 for a week. I got rid of mine for the same reason. Unstable pitch and speed. I am much happier with my Music Hall 7.3

14. Leonthepro

No NEO PSU I assume.

15. james

james Summon The Queen

This is how I found out I’m not an audiophile!

16. Leonthepro

How do you mean? Its not a requirement thats its perfect.
    Do you mean because you only favor one medium or because you rather color the sound yourself to fit your liking?

17. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

If the speed instability is with every rotation it seems this would be an out of round sub-platter, which the drive belt wraps around. If the table is new Rega should be willing to replace this, or you can install a GrooveTracer machined sub-platter which a lot of Rega owners do. I have a hard time believing it's a power related issue if the oscillation occurs with each and every rotation.

18. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Wow so you could hear pitch waver on the 6? Was it on sustained piano notes or other?

H8SLKC and Leonthepro like this.
  19. james

james Summon The Queen

mostly the latter. Not being a reviewer of music/audio gear or an archivist, I tailor my stereo system to match what I find pleasing while listening to music in my room (different gear sounds different in different rooms).

Truth to source doesn't mean much too me. It's just not anything I ever consider. I know my RP6/Denon 103 isn't supposed to be the best match in the world, but it's the best my analog front-end has sounded for my sonic preferences.

Leonthepro likes this.
  20. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It was fixed with a simple belt swap. The Planar 6 has a machined aluminum subplatter and pulley. Belts are the first thing to look at with speed or pitch issues with any belt driven table, just as tubes are the first thing to look at with issues with any tube amp. They are the expendable, wear items and so are the root cause of most issues. They can also be swapped out easily and cheaply.
    -Bill

21. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Ah yes, the belt makes more sense. I noticed on mine after sitting still for a time it takes a bit for the kink in the belt to smooth out. it gets a little kink around the tight radius o f the motor pulley when it's not rolling.

22. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Really you could hear it on most things. The subplatter was crap. Nice sounding table otherwise.

23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I’m surprised. What a drag. Unacceptable.

24. Mine runs fast 33.7 but has been totally stable.

25. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You must mean your RP6. The new version, Planar 6 has adjustable speed without changing belts..
    -Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.