New Rega Planar 1 - keeps skipping backwards

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sam Smith, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam Smith

Sam Smith Well-Known Member Thread Starter

So I just got my new Rega Planar 1. Set it all up, everything looks and sounds great. I've got two records that have never been played before. They're 180g remasters and for the most part they sound good, but after a couple of songs they get stuck. They just keep skipping backwards and repeating the same bit over and over - like your typical broken record. The turntable is brand new and the records are brand new. The turntable is not on the same surface as the speakers. I have no idea why this is happening, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Is the turntable absolutely level? If it is...it sounds like the tracking force isn't set correctly.

3. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Is this your first turntable ?
    I ask because I do not wish to offend.
    Before doing anything if you have a stylus force gauge record tracking force.
    Check what bias setting you are on.
    Once done rotate counterweight on tone arm till arm floats or It is in balance..
    With bias off tap the arm. it should swing in and come to rest. If it sticks on the same spot that the record sticks then there is s fault .
    Now and only now. Check to see if the turntable is level. If it's not level then level it.
    Tap the arm again to see how it fairs
    If your happy the dial in. The required tracking force.
    Set bias accordingly,
    If you still have problems find An experienced technician.

4. Wardsweb

Wardsweb Audio Enthusiast

Not only check the tracking force (sounds like it is light) but also check the anti-skate.

5. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

This is apparently one of the new Planar 1 tables, so it has auto bias (no settings for it on the arm).

HiFi Guy likes this.
  6. GoldprintAudio

Can you check and see if by chance the wires from the arm to the cart are hanging down too low and contacting the album?

7. GoldprintAudio

Also double check tracking force (on the planar 1, the weight goes all the way forward so it should be fairly easy to set).

8. Sam Smith

Thanks for the help. Yeah the wires are fine, no contact with the album. And yes, the weight is all the way forward as far as it can go.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  9. GoldprintAudio

Do you have a VTF gauge that you can check the tracking force with?

10. GoldprintAudio

And does it only happen on those 2 albums? Other albums play fine?

11. jon9091

What cartridge did you get with it?

12. Sam Smith

Since I made the post I've played some more albums, including a latest pressing plastic Ono band which also repeats the same line on the last song over and over. Again, this is a never before played record just out the box.

13. Sam Smith

The stock rega carbon cartridge

14. Sam Smith

Sadly I do not

15. jon9091

And you verified that the turntable itself was perfectly level?

16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

17. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

do you know how to correctly balance a tonearm and set the weight correctly?

18. Liquid Len

Liquid Len Forum Resident

This is a very basic requirement! I cannot understand why so many people 'get into' vinyl and remain so clueless/don't bother to find out about turntable set up. It is a fairly expensive hobby anyway so the need to get things right from the start is beneficial on all levels or it can lead to dissatisfaction with the medium at the very least, if not lasting damage to stylus and/or records. There is no excuse; there are many helpful videos on Youtube.

timind and AmericanHIFI like this.
  19. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

You need a gauge! Also what Rega says may not be true re your table. To get mine set up correctly when I pushed it all the way forward I always ended up backing off about half a turn.

AmericanHIFI likes this.
  20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Quote from thread which should be noted by the OP.

"The weight is at the stop point? That's over 3 gms tracking force, right?

You need to "float" the tone arm. 1st set the anti-skating to "0" then, Set the tracking force indicator to "0" and then adjust the counterweight until the arm is balanced or "floats". Then turn the indicator to the midrange recommendation for your cartridge. Then set the anti-skating to the same."

Think the Carbon tracks at 2.3 grms.

Rega dealers should be checking TTs and setting them up as they used to do so this doesn't happen. Order an Ortofon gauge of Ebay for apprxo £10 and check VTF accurately. Appears anti skate takes care of itself on this new design. Also worth checking the Vinyl Engine website for further help on TT set up.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  21. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I only use a gauge for micro tuning
    balance the arm, then VTF of 1.6 to 1.9 and bias (if adjustable) the same, mind you according to Rega bias isn't that important.

Then play some records, if it sounds too thin or skips, add some weight, very slowly, too much bass and squashed dynamics is too heavy

CCrider92 likes this.
  22. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Grahams still set them up before despatch or collection

23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Carbon needs higher VTF being a conical tip.

OP obviously didn't buy from Grahams. Probably on line.

Linto likes this.
  24. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Yeah, my bias has been on 0 for 10 years!

Linto likes this.
  25. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Does it skip in the same spot on both albums? (For example, 2" in from the edge of the record)
    Or does it happen in different spots in the 2 albums? Does it happen on both sides of the albums as well?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.