New Rega Planar 3 sounds...OK

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pretty.Odd., Nov 8, 2018.

1. KT88

KT88 Forum Resident

This is exactly what I was going to tell you. Do that right away.
    -Bill

Pretty.Odd. and SandAndGlass like this.
  2. Anodyne Jones

Anodyne Jones Active Member

this is a pure nonsense post...imo..

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  3. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

I am not sure why Rega draws so many trolls. My favorites are the ones that claim that Regas are made poorly because they do not have heavy plinths. I refer those folks to Mr. Einstein. E=mc2. Increase the mass, increase the energy. Gandy is no fool.

4. Anodyne Jones

Anodyne Jones Active Member

Pree-Cicesly. i have owned 3 Regas and i have an order ready for the new Planar 8.

no hum, no distortion, no headaches.

i think Gandy & Co. mess with audiophile minds because rhey are designed ro minimize stress and maximize
    music enjoyment. this goes agaisnt the clenched teeth, angst ridden process that ‘philes seem to love.

bluesaddict, Dan C, andybeau and 2 others like this.
  5. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Forum Resident Thread Starter

Are 25inch speaker stands tall enough? Looking at stands that are 25 inches tall. My speakers are 16 inches tall

6. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Forum Resident Thread Starter

thxphotog likes this.
  7. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Try to get the tweeters at ear level for your seating position.

bluesaddict and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  8. Davey

Davey very clever with maracas

Better yet, try to get the speakers at the height that sounds best to you from where you normally listen. Looks like the OP already ordered 36" stands, but I'd advise testing first with a stool or something and some books to determine what is the best height by moving your head up and down to zero in on the best sounding position.

bluesaddict and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  9. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Forum Resident

This. After reading the reviews and wanting a Rega for years, I finally pulled the trigger on the Planar 3 earlier this year, but it almost didn't happen after hearing it with the Elys II at my dealer's showroom. I don' think it's horrible but for $200 it is a rip off and you can do better. It definitely is dark sounding, dull, and un-involving. And this was through a high end Hegel amplifier and Tube Box DS. I bought the P3 entirely on hope that a different $200 cart would sound much better, and I was not wrong: the 2M Blue I got mates well with the tonearm and sounds much better than the Elys. I don't feel the need to upgrade.