New Rega RP3 turntable... coming-

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by xyyyy, Jul 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Any chance you'd compare the RP3 and RP1, both with Elys 2 cartridges?

2. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Sorry, I had a new Exact and so that's what I had them send me with the RP3. What's really more important is comparing the tables, apples to apples. The same differences should pretty much apply, it's just that the Elys 2 will reveal a little less from each turntable.

3. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Well, with the Exact, then?

4. With so many models and "improvements", one has to wonder to which level these improvements will be... Is there a chance that the new model could perform nearly as well as the "next tier" model up? (or at least as good or better than the comparable model it's replacing). Or as some have questioned, are cost cutting measures being put into place to keep the price competitive (and hopefully not at the sacrifice of performance for that given model)... No doubt, for those Rega enthusiasts out there, it will be an interesting comparison.

5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

With the RP1, there was a nice improvement to be had over the P1. There was also a cost savings in terms of mfg production cost and sales price to the consumer in the RP1 when compared to the P2, which it also replaced. Though not so much a performance gain over the P2.

In the case of the RP3 and the P3-24, the changes were more subtle enhancements to the existing product. So there is some performance benefit but it's not night and day. I really don't see any cost cutting to speak of. If anything, it's a bit more expensive product. The counterweight which was stainless is now of coated steel on the RP3. It doesn't appear to have any performance consequence although I am not sure there is a gain either. That sub was likely just for cost reasons. The brace on the plinth certainly increased cost and performance.
    -Bill

6. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

I placed my order through Sound World Audio in Houston. Didn't even have to go to the store. Just called the guy and he gave me a better price than the online retailers! I faxed him back the order form. Going to be getting mine in Cool Gray, hopefully by the weekend.

I guess the moral of this story is, support your local dealer when possible.

7. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Let us know how you like it.....Enjoy!

8. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

Any quibbling about sound aside, I felt the P3 24 was a step down in build quality relative to the P3 2000. More plastic on arm and a tackier plinth (I'm talking the original finish, not the "gloss" versions offered later, maybe for that very reason). My question Is: is the plinth of the RP 3 the same tacky contact paper like surface of the P3 24, or more like a smooth wood surface as it was on the P3 2000 and planar 3?

9. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

P3-24 w/ TT-PSU seems to me the way to go while still available. Unless I'm missing something? The TT-PSU is a huge upgrade over stock.

The P3's plinth was far less resonant than the P3-2000's. I've owned both, and there's a difference. And with Rega tables, and any single-plinth non-suspended design, isolation is important.

In my own system, I found the Exact to be a pretty buig step up from the Elys. Both nice sounding warmish carts, but the Exact is, as Jeff says, more revealing. However, I'd suggest it's more than just a "little".

Someone may be able to clear this up, but while there was an Elys "2", there was never techically an Exact "2". Packaging changed a few times, but it never went to "2" status. Therefore, I suspect there's only one model of Exact ever released.

10. celtic1

celtic1 New Member

There is an Exact 2. I bought one through the mail and it did not have a "2" on the box. I called Rega US direct and they asked me about the colors. I believe it was the color around the pins that confirmed it was a "2". This was 2+ years ago.

11. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Yes, the cartridges we used for our comparison were the current exact.

12. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

You are correct. The current version cartridge is called the Exact 2. :righton:

13. celtic1

celtic1 New Member

And it is a nice improvement over the Elys, which is a good cart also. Rega makes a very good cart for the money. Go with the Exact 2 if you can.

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

15. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Here's a shot of both tables together for some comparison listening....

Attached Files:

16. Doorbell

Doorbell Member

I really really want a P3-24. If music direct is still selling them for 875 with Elys 2 cart i'm gonna order one by the 2nd of September. If not i'm gonna see if my local dealer can get me a deal on the RP3 or if he can find me one, a P3-24.

17. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Having built a few turntables, I'd still go with light and as rigid as possible over heavy. I sit all my equipment on honeycomb core veneered boards.

18. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Call Roger at MD and see how many they have left....

The P3-24 is still a great table.

19. Shawn G

Shawn G New Member

Hey Tonepub, that P3 looks like it has an upgraded subplatter. I bet the RP1 would sound even better with one also. My P5 sure does.

20. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

After we were done comparing stock to stock, we dropped a Groovetracer in the stock P3-24 to see how it all compared...

21. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Uh-oh!!

22. Shawn G

Shawn G New Member

Can't wait to read all about it

23. Ortorega

Ortorega Well-Known Member

Hello Jeff "tonepub". Thank you for that very informative review about the RP3. I enjoyed reading it. I was curious though, because on this forum, you mentioned installing the Groovetracer reference subplatter on the P3-24, and then comparing it to the stock RP3. I did not see this comparison in the review. Will you be adding this information to the the current review? I am very curious to hear your results!

I also have a few questions, that I cannot ask Rega directly. I will put you on the spot:winkgrin: Just kidding.

But, the RP3 manual mentions an upgrade 18mm glass platter and subplatter pack. I would love for Rega to make a better glass platter. Do you have any information on this platter? Can it be fitted to a Rega P3-24? Can the upgraded platter be bought without the subplatter upgrade? Can the glass upgrade platter fit onto the Groovetracer subplatter?

From the writing in the RP3 manual, it seems that the 18mm platter and subplatter will be sold as a kit. Maybe, if one wants to install the new 18mm platter, it will only fit on the upgraded Rega subplatter (to discourage one to buy Groovetracer subplatters...).

Also, I was wondering if Rega might offer the double brace system as an upgrade to P3-24 owners? The geometry of the RP3 and P3-24 looks identical. Maybe it is possible?

Thanks for your review, and any answers/opinions you may have.

24. xyyyy

xyyyy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Some good questions for Jeff and general discussion. Noticed it was your first post. Welcome:wave:

25. Ortorega

Ortorega Well-Known Member

Thank you for the welcome! It was my first post, but I have read these forums many times. I have learned a great deal from them also. I also appreciated the friendly nature of this forum.

I look forward to discussing all things audio and video with the forum members in the future!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.