[New Release] The Twilight Hours - Black Beauty (ex-Trip Shakespare/ex-Semisonic)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Braulio Acosta, Jul 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Braulio Acosta

Braulio Acosta Forum Resident Thread Starter

So the Twilight Hours (Matt Wilson and John Munson) released their second record on Monday and I already think it's a classic. They released their first one in 2009, Stereo Night, which received good reviews, although as is usual with the kind of bands it didn't get much recognition. Well, seven years later Black Beauty is released and is Beautiful.

[​IMG]

The record contains 13 songs, most of which have been in the making even before 2009! (an early version of "Call Me" was first played back in 1993, after Trip Shakespeare break up). It follows the pattern of Matt's previous releases, catchy melodies, good songwriting and harmonies, plus I feel the arrangements add something else to the final mix. To me, the most surprising arrangement comes with "Anymore", that was released in 2010 in the live album Minneapolis 2010, and that was co-written with Dan, Matt's brother. Also Dan contributes some background voices to "Sioux City Swinger", giving it a classic-Beach Boys feeling. Beatles' influence is present too in "Lost in a Rain Cloud", song that sounds like "Because" in terms of arrangement.

Anyway, I'm not very good at works so I'll more info of the album itself:

Tracklisting (CD, I've read that the LP has a different order)

Help Me Find The Way
    Maybe
    Troublemaker
    Soundwaves
    Flow
    Down To Forever
    Telephone
    Call Me
    Lost in a Rain Cloud
    Touch My Mind
    Rain
    Sioux City Swinger

Anymore

You can hear the album here: Black Beauty, by The Twilight Hours »

If you've heard (and liked) Matt's or John's music before (most likely Semisonic), I'm sure you'll like this record. So go on and give it a listen!

Greg Arkadin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.