DCC Archive New releases: CD vs. LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

I noticed that a lot of newly released CD titles have limited LP releases that accompany them. To name a few: Beatles; One, Harrison; All Things Must Pass, Hendrix; Box Set, Garbage; newest album (name escapes me, sorry), and now (or soon to be released) Floyd's Echoes. Not to mention all the past and future DCC releases!

I realize that some will say the the CD will last forever. And there is room for bonus tracks. Others will claim vinyl rules, mainly because of the format. But is there any merit to go with the LPs or is it the same mastering?

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The LP will sound somewhat different, but the mastering is the same, basically. Like Bob Dylan's new album that I still listen to quite a bit, it's cut a bit loud, as an engineer really wanted to use a higher dynamic range (or got really lazy with the EQ), but occasionally, the sound goes a little too topy, and brass.

You'll find a lot of CDs out there in the reissue market that sound awesome, but the LP counterpart takes work that a lot of record companies think is a waste of time, so they rush and fu** up the LP. The Hendrix LP sounded great (box set) and, like most things, it's very hit or miss.

One LP that got a 'suprize the hell out of me' sound was Johnny Cash's "Solitary Man". It's just a Universal slab of LP, but it sounds DAMN good!!

Very few Lps knock that one off sonic-wize from Lps released of current date. That one is perfect. Cutting engineer must have been a Cash fan.

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I agree that the vinyl of "Solitary Man" by Johnny Cash was cut perfect. Rick Rubin is a vinyl fan, a Cash fan, etc.

4. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I think it depends on the release and the mastering. The vinyl version of "Love and Theft" sounds very good on the slower tempo songs (very spacious/tons of air) but the rockers seem to be way too compressed (very, very modern mastering manipulation). I've heard the CD and I think it sounds very similair. Radiohead's "OK Computer" and "Kid A" thankfully seem to be less compressed in the vinyl versions (the "OK Computer" CD is way too optimized to be loud and louder). MCCartney's "Flaming Pie" sounds great on vinyl and CD but the last songs on each side (especially the title track) suffer because of the album's length (it would've been better on 2 discs). It just depends on who's doing what/length/etc...

Todd

5. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Another thing to consider in the vinyl vs. CD debate is extra material. Oddly enough, I have several new albums with tracks that the CD versions don't have. Fer example:

Pink Floyd's Pulse - ONE OF THESE DAYS (plus a 12X12 book)

Guns n'Roses - Live Era '87-'93 - COMA

The Smashing Pumpkins - Machina - mono mix

Nirvana - From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah - side 4 is stage banter

6. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I think both formats are great. My main ambition is to get the best sounding source of any particular album. I like bonus tracks but I can live without them. I really enjoy coming across a CD or lp that really kicks ass. I was surprised how much better the Police albums on vinyl were compaired to the CD box. In the end, I think it all comes to the mastering. Joe Cocker's "Organic" is an amazing CD...

Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.