New Remaster of Jesus Christ Superstar

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve O, Jul 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve O

Steve O Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I've always thought the 90s remaster sounded great, but I have never heard the original UK. All I had to compare it to was the 1970 Canadian vinyl, which was a bit muddy.

3. Steve O

Steve O Forum Resident Thread Starter

If anyone cares, on that site it looks like it's going to have the original US cover (the one that looks like brown leather with the two golden angels).

4. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Matters to me, especially if it's cardboard, as that's what I grew up with when I was knee high to a grasshopper and didn't know how to gently handle vinyl. :D

5. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

6. I used to have this great release on two LPs a few decades ago. Would the whole thing not fit onto a single remastered CD, thereby reducing the price?

7. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Active Member

I'd be willing to upgrade. Hopefully they'll make a nice package out of it. Would love to hear commentary from Gillan, Elliman, and others about the experience of recording it.

8. vkamicht

vkamicht Forum Resident

Doesn't need it. I have one of the early, quiet CDs and it sounds awesome.

9. Well, it does if it's not readily and the other versions out there are inferior. I personally think the 90's version sounds pretty good although I hate that the original packaging wasn't used on the reissue (I liked the brown and gold version for the original vinyl and know it was used on the original CD boxed set as well).

If the original can be improved with better A/D conversion that would be great. I'd love to see this on a 5.1 mix lossless presentation as well.

I found the original soundtrack version for the film version to--despite fine singing--not to be quite as good (I've never heard the CD only had the vinyl).

The original album I believe runs around 87 minutes as I recall so, no at least not on a traditional Redbook CD.

10. I have the MCA with the white cover (Catalog No. MCAD2-11542) and the copyright is 1970/1993. Is this the remaster? I ask because there are no references anywhere in the booklet that it is remastered.

11. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

That's the same version I have...it is a different mastering than the first North American version with the brown cover, thus, it is a remaster. I always keep the shrinkwrap stickers from albums and my sticker says:

Here's a scan.

Attached Files:

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

If the vinyl sounded muddy to you, that's because it's closer to what the album really sounds like. The U.S. remaster/Mastersound CD edition is way too bright.

13. Grant

Yes, that's the remaster. The remaster is the same work as the MCA Mastersound series.

And, to reduce the confusion this album always brings, we are talking about the original 1979/1970 Rock-Opera album with Ian Gillian, Murray head, and Yvonne Elliman on it.

Here is the page with samples from the remaster. It sounds 100% correct. I will get this! http://www.jesuschristsuperstar.com/multimedia/music/

The correct cover is brown.

Attached Files:

14. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

Amazon.UK shows a different cover (a stained glass window design). For that reason I tried to order from the Jesus Christ Superstar site, but I don't think it will take orders from the U.S., even though the site is run by Live Nation. The site wants me to select a shipping choice but won't give me any options to choose from.

I really doubt the album is going to have two different album covers depending on who you order from, anyway.

15. Grant

Correction: 1970 album.

I hope I didn't add to the confusion. There are now two remasters: the bright-sounding one from the late 90s that was also reissued in the 00s, and this brand new one. This new remaster sounds like the original album, which is a good thing.

16. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

It will be released on July 16, so the sound is yet to be judged.

17. Well that depends on whether or not you like the original LP mastering or if the master tapes display a different sound. I didn't mind the remaster and I had the original vinyl back in the day. I'd rather it just sound good rather than represent what may or may not have been an accurate representation of the finished tapes.

18. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Further proof that Ian Gillan is god...? :)

19. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

That's it; you're banned :D

uzn007 likes this.
  20. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I have the brown cover which I love but would like to check out the new one!:righton:

21. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

So the 1993 remaster is the same as the MCA gold Ultimate Master Disc?

22. Grant

You didn't listen to the samples. I did.

23. Grant

I'm pretty certain the tapes sound more like the original LP did.

24. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I always hear how bright it is from some people in these forums, but I don't find it especially bright.

I haven't been able to get them to play. :sigh:

25. Grant

The first CD version came out in the 90s. It used bad tapes. But, it used the correct brown cover.

The MCA gold disc came out later. Then MCA used that same gold mastering for a silver CD reissue. The latter two are very bright-sounding, and use the wrong cover.

The new one set to come out this week sounds more like the original LP and CD, according to the samples on that linked site.

Just make sure you do not confuse this original rock-opera version with the soundtrack or the Broadway play version, which so many people do. Those are completely different recordings with different people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.