New Rhino Joy Division Boxset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Theadmans, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Theadmans

Theadmans Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

That looks pretty silly to me. Might have been more attractive as a set of 12" singles. At least then you could put all of 'An Ideal...' on one record, as when it was originally issued.

And, why Isolation/Heart & Soul as a single?

Weird. And gimmicky.

3. sf74

sf74 Active Member

i hope Amazon UK (or even US) carries this. Rhino charges £20 for shipping to the States

4. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Hmm, yeah, weird.

How were those last Joy Division vinyl reissues? Never heard any, as my Factory versions sound just about perfect...

5. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

I just don't get these recent rash of 7" box sets. While they might look great on the shelf, I just don't imagine playing them too often due to the hassle of flipping sides every 4 minutes. I have a small collection of original 7"s by the Smiths and New Order, and love them for collecting purposes, but buying a repressing of any of them just wouldn't really interest me.

Unless of course there was some rare/unreleased tracks on it. But with Joy Division I don't see that as happening anytime soon.

6. hutlock

Not to mention, my original "Love Will Tear Us Apart" 7" has three tracks on it, but they split one of those tracks out onto a new 7" for this box! I know it had to play on 33 to achieve that, but still... weird.

That all said, this looks gorgeous and I'd love to have someone buy it for me, but I don't see myself laying out that sorta $$$ for it.

7. Theadmans

Yes I agree it a very weird set. Apparently it was Steve Morris who decided on the Isolation/H&S single.

However, I am always a sucker for a boxset (especially at Xmas). As a Joy Division collector I think - with such a limited run - the value of this box should hold up pretty well.

8. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

The copy of Closer that I got was off-center. It sounded fine to these ears, but being off-center makes it just about worthless. Plus, the photo on the cover was a bit darker, and slightly less clear than the photo on my Factory pressing.

9. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

10. This thing is totally unnecessary and overpriced, but it does look pretty sweet nonetheless. If I had a salary in the six figures I might pull the trigger on it.

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Not that great. My vinyl had a bunch of audible flaws. The tone sounded pretty much like my original Factory CDs, so I guess the new LPs weren't too far off.

12. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

Yeah ... but I just wish they would do THAT instead of this as there is a lot of New Order stuff that is not available on CD.

Interesting that these are new masterings though ...

13. Theadmans

I would like to know what is on the 2 promo CDs (that come with the Deluxe set only).

Are the CDs just the tracks on the 10 7" vinyl records or something else?

14. hutlock

Aaaaaaarrrrgh! You people are making it harder and harder for me to deny that I want this...

...but now I want this.

15. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

I think it is the tracks on the 7" and knowing them the + CD will be the A sides and the - CD would be the B sides. Just guessing though.

I agree this is really tempting if you are fan. It looks really awesome.

16. hutlock

And as with everything, that Peter Saville design just GETS ME TO REACH FOR MY WALLET EVERY TIME.

17. The Bish

The Bish Forum Resident

18. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

120.00 for 10 7"s with a messed up tracklisting?

If I'm going to be spending that much, I want really nice, faithful recreations of the originals.

No thanks.

19. bad horse

bad horse New Member

Really? Dang ... just keep milking that catalog. And still no "official" release of "At A Later Date". Oh well at least it's not a pair of Unknown Pleasure tennis shoes or a skateboard.

My vinyl copies of the remasters sound OK, a lot of surface noise in the intro and out grooves but the sound isn't bad. I still prefer my UK Factory originals. Including the 7" and 12" singles. Between the originals, the remasters, Still, Substance, the Heart and Soul box and some gray zone Italian stuff I've pretty much got Joy Division covered.

I'd kill to have new copy's of the Porky cut vinyls though.

20. Pavol Stromcek

Funny, my vinyl remaster of Closer doesn't have any surface noise, and in fact sounds very clean. It's the fact that side 1 is off-center that bothers me, as it makes "A Means to an End" sound all warbly. I prefer the UK Factor originals too, although... check that - my Unknown Pleasures is an original US Factory pressing, but it sounds quite good.

21. Pavol Stromcek

:righton:

22. RipItUp&StrtAgan

RipItUp&StrtAgan New Member

Yeah, a little pricy I think, though it does look pretty cool.

What I'd really like to see is a remastered Substance, expanded to 2 lp's to include the rest of the stuff on the CD version. Why Substance got the shaft when they were putting out the reissues a couple years ago is beyond me. FWIW, I think the remasterd vinyl sounded great.

23. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

I'd get the standard version of this if reports of Atmosphere/Dead Souls are good. I've never been happy with the sound of Dead Souls, I have it on every UK Factory CD/vinyl there's been, except the Sordide Sentimentale 7". Someone very helpful on sh.tv a while back advised me the Sordide 7" doesn't sound too brilliant either, or I would try and get one. I wish it had been a "normal" UK Factory single back in the day, as Joy Division original vinyl is just fantastic sounding in my experience. It might be that Dead Souls had a different master tape situation...it just sounds a bit weak to me compared to all other JD vinyl. The Transmission/Novelty 12" is among top sounding pieces of music of all time. I've never had an ideal or amazing system, but that 12" has sounded awesome on all
    equipment I ever had!

24. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

l am torn over this set, if the mastering is good and being that they are 45's l could be tempted but would like more details on the set and what songs are included on the CD's in the deluxe edition. Hhhmmmm....

25. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I bought Closer recently. It was from HMV and had copyright 2007 London records (not sure if this is the same as the Rhino). It says mastered from the original tapes.

From a technical point of view the pressing is really good, no noise, flat etc, and I like the sleeves, labels etc. I had an original but (guess what) sold it when I got the cd years ago (d'oh).

Anyway, in terms of sound I think it's really good, I really like it. Pleasantly suprised.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.