New Rihanna/Kanye/Macca song - FourFiveSeconds

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RamblinRed, Jan 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I am totally serious when I tell you that there are still more than enough people on this planet who do think they're the Alpha and Omega.

3. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I think it might be a good idea then for you to call Mark Lapidos and tell him to cancel this year's "Fest For Beatles Fans" (and perhaps all future years' shows too).

4. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

They were going for an updated version of a "Weekend At Bernie's" type photo.:D

Jtycho and SirNoseDVoid like this.
  5. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Unfortunately, our generation is starting to die off. Those who remember the group (or Wings) firsthand will not be around forever.

6. HumanMachinery

HumanMachinery Forum Resident

Kanye and McCartney are well past their primes, and I've never liked Rihanna (though I'm told her first album or two is pretty good).

I think I'll pass.

Keith V and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  7. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

The point was, The Beatles' music is timeless and lives on, gaining new young generations of fans all the time. They are certainly a niche in their schools, but worldwide they still make up a large number.

8. Muddy

Muddy Large Member

Meh. Sounds like something they dashed off while passing around a joint.

9. jwoverho

True, but this new generation of fans have no idea of the importance or magnitude of Beatlemania. To them, The Beatles are a band that makes great music, not a musical or cultural force that shaped a generation. New fans will buy the CD's and download the albums, but to the modern listener, The Beatles are just one of many groups vying for attention. You can play a 6-year-old a Beatles song and create a fan, but the days of the true believer are running out. Jay-Z and Katy Perry are more popular than Jesus now, not The Beatles.

10. HumanMachinery

The shame is that neither Jay-Z nor Katy Perry are nearly close to being the best in their respective fields. It really does reinforce my view that the "golden age of popular music" ran from '65 through '85.

jeatleboe likes this.
  11. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Looks like Taylor Swift is the deity now...

12. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Only in the world boomers inhabit. Once they are gone that world will be gone forever...not to say they wont still be popular and sell...but the rabid superfans? Nope...they're at best a generation from being a rare species.

Shak Cohen and nbakid2000 like this.
  13. HumanMachinery

Fun fact: both Katy Perry and Taylor Swift now have their songs written by Max Martin.

He bores me to tears in any quantity. Give me Steven Poltz or Alan Griffiths over him on any day. Hell, you can even give me Pharrell Williams when he's not busy being misogynist as ****.

14. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

*yawwnn*... I've been hearing this for many decades already! :D
    Suit yourself. I guess you haven't been to many Beatlefests and McCartney shows, seeing the many very young newer fans!

15. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Not writing: Dave Smith, from 1224 12th St, Medford, Oregon did not particiate in writing this track.

16. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

You mean there will be no more books, Internet, or documentaries...?

I thought it was The Bay City Rollers? No.. make that Menudo... no... I think it was The Backstreet Boys... wait a minute... no, it was ...?

Tell you what. If the SH Forums are still here in 20 years, let's meet here and see how many people are still reckoning The Beatles as compared to Jay-Z or Katy Perry. Or better yet... perhaps we can all meet up at "Jay-Z Fest" or "Perry Con 2065"...?
    :biglaugh:

17. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I know plenty of twenty-somethings who love and sing along with the Beatles (and Wings) when I play them (I'm always surprised at the positive reaction and instant recognition that "Band on the Run" gets from them), but their knowledge of the most basic chronology and history of the group (i.e., did Rubber Soul come before or after Sgt. Pepper? strikes me as fuzzy at best, and they have no idea who Brian Epstein, Stuart Sutcliffe, George Martin, or Billy Preston are, i.e. "facts" that we take for granted as basic knowledge. The more esoteric debates - is Wild Life a good or bad album? Forget it. More like "what is Wild Life"? Or even what is "Beatles for Sale"? I agree that when the first- and second-generation fans die, the sort of super-fans who associate here will largely die as well.

18. jwoverho

Those who weren't there won't truly comprehend, regardless of books, the Internet, or documentaries. You can say they were big, but fame today is a different beast. How many people on the street could indentify The Beatles from a photograph any more than our current political figures?

The only ones of us rabidly extolling the virtues of The Beatles on SH.tv in 20 years are the same ones doing it now.

19. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

ah here we go again. who cares? if you think the beatles were the greatest thing ever, that's just swell. i have no problem with that. but most people in 2015 couldn't care less.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  20. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Personally I think that lesser knowledge of band minutiae is a good thing. These esoteric debates tend to ruin the mystique of the band and diminish the joy of the music. Whenever Paul plays at festival shows, the vast majority of the audience is under 35 and they've given him rave reviews. Why isn't it enough that they know the Beatles songs? Why do they have to know that Stu Sutcliffe was the bass player before Paul, or that John wanted to record his vocals hanging upside down, to appreciate the end result?

theMess likes this.
  21. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

But but but....what about the Beatlesfest? jeatlebloe saw young'ens there so that means they are the Alpha and Omega and always will be. Forget the fact most of them were brought by parents and the kids were texting and staring at their phones the whole time. He saw youngsters!!!

mindgames and nbakid2000 like this.
  22. jwoverho

True, but these casual listeners hold The Beatles in no more esteem than many other bands, though they do appreciate the songs and talent. Some don't even care.

This ties into the discussion earlier that many in the hip hop community don't hold McCartney or The Beatles in high regard. It's just a fact that may be hard to understand or accept among some members here.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  23. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I largely agree with your basic point. However, I work with a group of guys between 20 and 45, and, while they recognize and like the Beatles when I play them, I am the only guy who ever plays them. There's one other guy I work with who is a working musician, who does things like make actual records and tour Europe once or twice a year, and he has played Ram on occasion. But that's sort of where McCartney's life work begins for him. For the rest of the guys, music begins somewhere around 1969/70 with Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and David Bowie, and continues on to modern country and gangsta rap. They never voluntarily put the Beatles on the stereo at work, even though they don't dislike them. The problem that I see with the Beatles mantaining their audience once the first-generation fans, and people like me, who were born at the very tail end of their lifespan as a group, begin to die off goes far beyond kids today not knowing who Stu Sutcliffe is.

Shak Cohen and nbakid2000 like this.
  24. HumanMachinery

Yeah, I agree that there's a certain barrier in appreciating the Beatles for many folks who grew up during or after the punk rock "year zero" of '77.

A common complain is that The Beatles are "insufferably naive and saccharine." One friend even went so far as to say "virtually every Paul McCartney song sounds like drugged out theme music to a children's TV show. I don't want to be reminded of the stupidity and worthlesness of childhood until I'm middle aged, whereupon I should be put out of my worthless doddering misery. Nobody wants to listen to music written for suburbanites who have children, mortgages, and memberships to a bowling league."

25. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Sorry but your friend sounds like an idiot. :tiphat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.