New Rihanna/Kanye/Macca song - FourFiveSeconds

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RamblinRed, Jan 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

How is that any different from Sinatra or Elvis or the Beach Boys or the Stones? I'm not any more worried about the Beatles maintaining their audience than I am about any other older artists. None of them will be as popular as in their peak. But that's the way of it. Music moves on.

By the way, my 17 year old daughter and her friends all know about the Beatles and know some of their songs. But they aren't at all into Bowie, have no interest in the Stones, and none at all in Led Zeppelin. It's the Stones and Zep that are going to get left behind when the Boomers go. The Beatles' music appeals to a broader audience.

jeatleboe likes this.
  2. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

As to Paul looking young for his age I suppose he does but WHY can't his makeup/hair people get his hair color right?? It has not been the proper McCartney dark brown in years. I understand not wanting grey and using dye or whatever but is it NOT possible to match his hair to it's previous tone??

3. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

It was 50 years ago, they can't be the most popular band in the world forever. That the Beatles are as popular as they are among younger people is astounding and probably unprecedented, apparently that isn't enough??

Anyway, it's a damn catchy tune that, production-wise, has a real homemade charm to it and the combination is proving irresistible even after a couple listens.

4. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

In the battle of our anecdotal accounts, I would say that I find the Stones to be the biggest losers among the younger set today: I don't see them and their music connecting with many young people in my life today, if at all. On the other hand, I would say that Zep are far more popular than the Beatles, again, with the younger people I personally know.

Shak Cohen and Fullbug like this.
  5. I Walk Like A Panther

I Walk Like A Panther Forum Resident

Relevant or irrelevant, I don't care. The Beatles are relevant to me.

dunkoid, O Don Piano and theMess like this.
  6. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I mean....

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. Fivebyfive

I love Bizarro Paul. Sometimes you just have no idea what the dude is thinking.

8. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

That's correct. We all have our own personal reality, and that's really all that matters.

theMess and sandmountainslim1 like this.
  9. Fivebyfive

Interesting. I have a 20 year old son and a 17 year old daughter. My anecdotal experience: My son and his friends are both Beatles and Zeppelin fans with a slight preference for Zep. My daughter and her friends lead toward the Beatles and have no interest or even knowledge of Zep. And of course both prefer their own generation's music to anything from the 60s/70s.

Pitchfork's review of the Zep reissues touched on this and made some interesting points:

I thought that was pretty on target. For all the hand-wringing about the Beatles here, it's really not the Beatles or Zep whose legacy is most threatened with the kids these days.

jeatleboe and theMess like this.
  10. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Re: your comments about your son and daughter - as long as there are teenage boys, and people like us who were once teenage boys, Zeppelin's music will continue to exist. Not surprised at all that most young women would have less interest in them. But, in my little corner of the world, I see them as the big winner among the various classic rock acts as far as being relevant to the kids, or at least to the boys and young men, today.

Most of the people I am friends with, young and old, skew towards the indie/alternative side of things, and, for the younger people in that set, music pretty much begins with David Bowie, Talking Heads, and Joy Division. The younger people I know in that group have little knowledge of or interest in any 60s artist, save perhaps for the Velvet Underground.

11. Fivebyfive

And the next generation will have no interest in Bowie, Talking Heads, or Joy Division. Time marching on can be such a drag.

12. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I never said that Bowie's music was going to last forever. That's just where I see music beginning today for many the younger, more interesting people I personally hang out with. Of course his star will fade in its turn, sooner or later.

13. Fivebyfive

Sorry I didn't mean to sound snarky. I was just agreeing that it's normal for a band/artist's star to fade.

In other news, this track is in the top 10 on iTunes in the US, Canada, Brazil, France, Spain, Ireland, Turkey, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Norway, and Russia, among others.

The most depressing experience: Reading a Rolling Stone article about this new track, and seeing posters refer to Kanye by the "n word" and getting significant "up" arrows for that. So much for the liberal attitudes of Beatles fans.

14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

That's just sad. One last time, my problem with the initial fruits of this collaboration is that it's so boring, not that's Paul's working with Kanye, although perhaps Kanye is not the best imaginable modern partner for Paul to work with, as I don't think their musical worldviews are necessarily all that compatible. Certainly less compatible than, say, Paul's and Michael Jackson's were.

15. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  16. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

From that article, laughing my *** off:

:biglaugh:

BeatleJWOL, supermd and heatherly like this.
  17. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

there will always be super fans. Maybe the numbers will be smaller and smaller. There are people who still care about things from 2000 years ago! And I happen to be a twenty-something who has cared about all the ridiculous Beatle minutiae for just over ten years now. Started with the Paul is dead stuff, then got into the US album tracklistings (I've since gotten over that one!) and quickly fell deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole. BUT...

The Beatles are no longer relevant. Haven't been since they broke up, really. Paul manages to stay relevant, at least beyond just being a nostalgia act. He's still a creative person, still manages to be NEW, and still keeps an open mind, which allows him to collaborate with "newer artists." And Rihanna and Kanye West can only be called newer in relation to Paul, because they've been around for a while. Heck, Rihanna's first hit was released almost ten years ago! And only a few months after that, Kanye's Gold Digger came out. Not his first, but that was the first I heard of him.

I think we are going to reach a point soon where Rihanna has to fight to stay relevant. Kanye... not so much. He's sort of in a class of his own. She's actually at an interesting point in her career. She released an album every from 2005 to 2012 (2008 was a reissue of the 2007 album, but with more tracks, and more hits) but since 2012, she's had no album. So now she is making a sort of "comeback." There also must be some fatigue in general from the world, who gets tired of her after a while. Ten years is a long career. Not that she's old, heck she's only on the cusp of 27.

Now, all silly debates aside, let me ask something about this track. What does Paul play? I've seen various articles put him on keys, or guitar. I mean, he's holding a guitar on the cover, lookin' like Elvis McCartney. So, what is his instrumental contribution?

18. beatlesgreece

beatlesgreece Active Member

He should collaborate with Julian Casablancas in my opinion.They are the best songwriters of their respective eras and judging by this new photo,they look alike too.

19. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

Best single recording thing Macca has been a part of in 20+ years

StevelandJudkins and smoke like this.
  20. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I have to ask this question, are there people on this thread who don't know that McCartney recorded Mary Had A Little lamb and the Frog song for Children?

I see some still take these songs completely out of context, and try to make totally unrelated points with them?

New Flash - McCartney said the songs are for children!

Anyone who says or thinks the Beatles aren't still relevant, and aren't still the absolute #1 rock band in the whole world, is totally being blind and fooling themselves!

They will always hold that position, because what they did will never ever be done again!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  21. CDC

CDC Forum Resident

heatherly and sandmountainslim1 like this.
  22. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

And I would agree with you. Now, so what? The whole point is that there while of course "most people couldn't care less", there still are -- and always will be -- more than enough people of all ages who still DO care. To keep The Beatles so known and popular, decades and decades after the fact. I'll also add that their staying power is largely unmatched by any other defunct artist(s).
    Sorry if it bug you so much, but that's the way it is. So yeah --"who cares" about the naysayers?

23. HumanMachinery

HumanMachinery Forum Resident

I think there's some truth to what that author is saying, but I'd say it's also a direct consequence of the way that rock music has always marketed and perceived itself. Artists are supposed to be eternally young, unflinching in rebellion, and omnipotent in wealth and power. Anyone who understand humanity can tell you those traits are both contradictory and not at all realistic.

So when people grow up immersed in this mythology, they gravitate towards bands that maintain the illusion of it. Groups like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Talking Heads, and The Pixies broke up at or near the top of their game, whereas groups like The Who, The Rolling Stones, and Pink Floyd are perceived as overstaying their welcome and diminishing the value of their music with endless reunion tours and reunion albums.

And we can point and laugh forever about how shallow and petty and juvenile this mindset is, but it goes back to a very powerful narrative about value being established through scarcity and great artists seeking perfection.

24. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

CDC and JDeanB like this.
  25. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Lots of Stones and Led Zep t shirts wandering about on young people. I even saw a Sex Pistols shirt on a kid in rural Eastern Washington last summer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.