New Ringo Starr vinyl reissues (2016, 2017 ... 2018?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Sep 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Excellent!

John Bliss and Tommyboy like this.
  2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Just listened to Photograph. Sounds nice! Solid pressing too.

3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...with the booklet..?

joy stinson and John Bliss like this.
  4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

This is correct. I have an original pressing from the week the album came out...it contains the short version.

joy stinson and forthlin like this.
  5. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

The copies with the long version seen to have been review copies since they had no promo markings at all...and some were issued in plain white sleeves Just very early pressings.
    I posted master information from my run-off in an earlier post to tell the difference other than Six O'clock being the largest track space wise on that side.....and of course if you listen to it.

Benno123 likes this.
  6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yes

7. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Great. Thanks.

8. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Agree. This is a very well produced reissue, original booklet and all. Good to have a new copy since my original has been played to death.

steve722 and joeislive like this.
  9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I listened to the LP today. The pressing is virtually flawless and the SQ is terrific! A worthwhile purchase.

10. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I have beat up old copies of Ringo and GV, but these are albums I wouldn't mind getting upgrades for.

joy stinson likes this.
  11. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I'm very happy with both of these reissues!

12. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

14. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Thank you!

15. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Were "Ringo" and "GV" remastered for vinyl from analog sources, or are they digital remasters?

John Bliss likes this.
  16. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

I am basically wondering the same thing. I have the Ringo 45 box set that has a few songs that are on these two albums, done by Ron McMaster, and I remember hearing what sounded like tape dropouts on at least one song.

joy stinson likes this.
  17. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

If I understand you correctly, you're saying the new vinyl version of Time doesn't sound that great?
    Thanks.

18. Gradese

Gradese Forum Resident

I’d say Harrison, Mr & Mrs McCartney, Mr & Mrs Ono Lennon are respectively # 55, 50 & 49, 48 & 41.
    Possibly The Band, # 24, 28, 32, 34, 39.
    The artist painting the artwork, # 36, possibly Tim Bruckner – but looks more like Klaus Voorman to me.
    Apart from this, I’m not sure.
    I’ve been trying to spot Harry Nilsson, but no luck so far (and yet he was large… and laaaarge [sorry])

joy stinson likes this.
  19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Correct.

RubenH likes this.
  20. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

I just picked up the new Ringo LP, as I had a Barnes and Noble gift card in the drawer...
    Never had this on vinyl, but I do have the "Photograph" hits CD, with which I will do some comparison in the next week or so. However, I did want to post now just to give an early 1st impression of the pressing:
    • It's got the 'made in france' sticker on the wrapping (no other sticker though)
    • perfectly flat and centered
    • visually perfect
    • perhaps 1 pop/click over both sides. Black sonic background
    • sounds great (esp. the drums on Devil Woman) on the technics 1200SL / AudioTech 440 mlb
    • Gatefold printing very nice (again, I've never seen an original release).

My only complaint has nothing to do with this re-release, but rather at the lack of any photos in the booklet: although Voormann's lithos are very nice, having four full sides of those stars, on the inner gatefold and in the booklet, makes no sense, esp. as it would have been wonderful to have a photo of the ex-Beatles recording or together, after 3 years...

joy stinson, John Bliss and mrjinks like this.
  21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I’d venture to say digital.

22. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

Good point. Never thought of that, but the duplication of the inner “stars” (gatefold and booklet) really IS overkill. Love the pic in the upper right of John and Ringo on GV:

Ringo Starr - Goodnight Vienna

23. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I think the original U.S. versions by Doug Sax soound great. I’m wondering if these can compete?

dylankicks likes this.
  24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

My Dad bought me the Ringo album when it was first released in 1973 and eventually gave it away to a relative not long afterwards. I haven’t listened to the album until purchasing the reissue last week. I too am wondering how the new cut compares to an original and what is considered the definitive version, US or UK. I’m not a big enough fan of the Ringo album to seek out an original for comparison purposes. That being said, since the original was mastered by Doug Sax, I wouldn’t be surprised if the reissue is inferior sounding.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    John Bliss likes this.
  25. Great Music Lover

Great Music Lover Well-Known Member

I am aware of both of the original albums (do not own copies though) and now these re-issues which I might consider buying, but as they are both single albums, I am curious as to why is one £20 and the other £27.99.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.