New Ringo Starr vinyl reissues (2016, 2017 ... 2018?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Sep 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Most likely reason: The Ringo reissue is a gatefold cover with a full LP-sized illustrated lyrics booklet.

2. Great Music Lover

Great Music Lover Well-Known Member

Mmmm. Seems like a bit of a rip off to me paying an extra £8 ($12) for a book of lyrics which is what - 8 pages? Any photos within it? I wonder if there was a price difference on the original releases.

3. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

It's 20 pages of drawing paper.

4. Arnold Grove

Yes, plus the illustrations were done by Klaus Voormann.

5. Arnold Grove

An example of the inner pages of the full-size lyrics book:

[​IMG]

6. Arnold Grove

7. That’s the original deaign. It was perfect for the time. Big hit album

8. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

I don't think I've ever seen such a picture. Anyone else?

9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The most we'd get would be a picture of John, Ringo and George recording I'm The Greatest; supposedly, Paul was out of the country so they used that as an excuse as to why ITG couldn't have been a full-fledged Beatles track.

10. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

11. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

parkmebike and reverendjim like this.
  12. reverendjim

reverendjim Forum Resident

13. parkmebike

parkmebike I'm in love with a girl...

14. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Nice, do I see it well it's free shipping in the US? Well, that's certainly a bargain. Also says something about how these sell, I guess...

15. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Just picked up a copy of the new RSD vinyl re-release of 'Stay Awake', the 1988 album of Disney interpretations which includes Ringo's version of 'When you wish upon a star'. At the time it was first released Ringo hadn't put out any new music for 5 years so it was then, as it is now, a pleasant surprise to find. Another contributor to the album was Ringo's drinking buddy Harry Nilsson. Not your typical Disney recruits.

mrjinks, Gradese and SixOClockBoos like this.
  16. Gradese

Gradese Forum Resident

A great, weird album. Other Hal Willner-produced "theme" albums worth listening are - Lost in the Stars: The Music of Kurt Weill (with Lou Reed, Tom Waits, Sting, Marianne Faithfull etc.) and, if you're into jazz, Amarcord Nino Rota; Weird Nightmare: Meditations on Mingus - and the first and perhaps best of them all - That's The Way I Feel Now: A Tribute to Thelonious Monk - an incredible double album.

Sorry for the off-topic diversion...

BlueJay and blutiga like this.
  17. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Oh yeah I remember that one. That's the one with Keith Richards playing Monk :D

Gradese likes this.
  18. Gradese

Gradese Forum Resident

:D
    well... no Keith Richards, but you get Chris Spedding and Peter Frampton playing on the same track :)

lennonology and blutiga like this.
  19. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Oh I misremembered then. I must have been thinking of Weird Nightmare, Meditations On Mingus :D I always get these Hal Willner or Kip Hanrahan things mixed up :)
    However anything with Chris Spedding and "Peter Frampton" playing Monk is gotta be interesting :D

Gradese likes this.
  20. Gradese

Gradese Forum Resident

it is, actually. And then Joe Jackson doing "'Round Midnight", and Todd Rundgren, Bobby McFerrin, Steve Lacy, an amazing "Shuffle Boil" by John Zorn & C. ...
    It's one of the most varied and interesting record in my collection. Definitely worth checking out, in my opinion.

blutiga likes this.
  21. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

Yes, folks, it's just what you wished for - a 2019 Ringo vinyl issue!!!

So which album is it? Maybe something like …
    Vertical Man (never on vinyl)?
    Or …
    Ringo Rama (also never on vinyl)?
    NOPE! It's the fine folks at Friday Music giving us a THIRD vinyl variation on...
    BAD BOY!!!
    :bdance:
    I know some of you weren't happy with JUST the "Champagne" vinyl edition and/or JUST the "Blue" vinyl edition, so now you can seek fulfillment with the "TRANSLUCENT BLUE & BLACK SWIRL LP", releasing later this month:
    RINGO STARR - BAD BOY 180 GRAM TRANSLUCENT BLUE & BLACK SWIRL LP | Shop the Friday Music Official Store

Completists such as @Wiserforthetime, @Mazzy and @daveidmarx can wire me cash in appreciation for keeping them updated on such vital reissues. :agree:

Wiserforthetime and reverendjim like this.
  22. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Umm.... yay? :wtf:

vince likes this.
  23. Arnold Grove

That album Bad Boy must be in the public domain, so any company can just press up a few hundred copies and hope for the best... ;)...

24. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

I already have all the old Ringo LP's on vinyl, so I'm good. Got them all from the cutout bin for a couple of bucks when they were almost new. Sentimental Journey up through Old Wave!

25. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Stop and Smell the Roses has recently been pulled from Streaming Services like Spotify...Could that indicate a re-release/vinyl/expanded edition is in the works?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.