New Roger Waters album "Is This The Life We Really Want?" - June 2, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlanDistro, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Same here.

deany76 and xj32 like this.
  2. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

3. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Very good song, it's a shame how much the vocals are buried in this particular video. I was wondering how well this song would work w/o the 2 tracks that follow, they all flow together and feel like 3 parts to the same song. But it works on it's own and offers us a unique edit of the track.

Hattipper, PDK and Stephen Gleadall like this.
  4. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Raving & Drooling

lmao @rontoon loving the new profile pic! ;)

5. stem

stem Forum Resident

Thanks for that.
    It's a terrific track.
    I notice the LP version is much longer than the video.

6. Stephen Gleadall

Stephen Gleadall Forum Resident

Yes, I agree.

By the way, new profile is cute. Always knew you were soft and cuddly!
    I think the video is the same length as the LP version. The video is just for the track Wait For Her. On the LP this track is part of a suite of songs which also includes "Oceans Apart" and "Part of Me Died"

rontoon likes this.
  7. Stephen Gleadall

I would love to see the new album performed live in it's entirety, with the band and full string section.

deany76, ytserush, tedhead and 8 others like this.
  8. Stephen Gleadall

New profile is cute. Always thought you were soft and cuddly!

rontoon likes this.
  9. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

That's really nice. Nice to see the growing love for the album outro.

Beautiful song and the video on 3rd watch.... the creative elements with the girl... really work with the lyrics for me while adding something additional I'm mulling over.

Really lovely.

Hattipper and Johnny Reb like this.
  10. Where are you Simon

Where are you Simon Well-Known Member

I've liked it since release day.
    The LPs get played lots here.
    I'm clearing out a load of old pine furniture to go to a hospice shop and found my original shop bought Final Cut and Radio KAOS VHS Tape releases down the back of a chest of draws at the weekend.
    Thought they were long gone after i transferred them to DVD years ago.
    I havent got a video machine to play them on.
    The sound has probably dropped out by now anyway but the covers are still good so will get the tapes and covers framed and hung on my bedroom wall each side of my bed.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    Zeki, PDK and Kalli like this.
  11. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Well, it only took me two months, but I finally put this album on. I really wanted to be in the right headspace. For whatever reason, I feel the need to be "prepared" for a Roger Waters record. My preparation included listening to lots of Roger. Every studio album. FOUR of his versions of the Wall (two concerts I was at in 2010 and 12, the newest live album, and Berlin) and all his non album stuff (including the absolute nadir of his career: Run Like Hell Potsdamer mix :hurlleft:)

But today I brought myself to put on the album. What can I say about it? It's certainly cinematic. But that's Roger's trademark. It's exactly what I expected and yet it's not quite like his previous pasts. It flows in a similar fashion to Amused To Death. But in place of ambient sound expositions or guitar-god musings, we get the musicians cooking and grooving along. I'm not quite sure where the listener is supposed to be. If anywhere at all. We aren't in bed next to our wife (Pros and Cons), or listening to the radio (KAOS) or a monkey watching TV (Amused To Death). This might be cinematic, but it also feels more personal. Roger is singing directly to us. And I think that was clear even back when he first unleashed the then ten-minute epic If I Had Been God. Although the Lay Down Jerusalem part didn't quite carry that through. He's passionate and romantic. This isn't the proselytizing Roger Waters. This is a more down to earth Roger, the same Roger that was onstage at Newport two years ago. Whatever politics he wants to preach onstage, and whatever current message he wishes to portray, this album is far more universal and timeless than Amused To Death. Not without some not so subtle nods that will certainly identify it with its time, but there won't be a need for a history lesson to appreciate the album (although it of course wouldn't hurt.)

Musically, it's simple but powerful. He doesn't write complex tunes. No amount of dressing, be it 80's overload, ATD bombast, or Clapton, has ever hidden that. And here we simply get Roger's simplistic music wrapped in another idiom. I won't pontificate on it much. I'll just say that it works, and it's beautifully done. No amount of Pink Floyd cliches could hurt either, because they don't come off as rip-offs, but homages. Sheep and Have A Cigar simply came first. Roger dips once more into his limited melody well, and pulls out something recognizable but engaging in its own right. And I love how organic everything sounds, and a big part of that is how his voice is presented. It's part of the music. It's not too loud to almost become narration. He's blended in just right.

This was a very compelling and powerful album. After spending some time knee deep in Roger's catalog, appreciating and evaluating everything before it, I can say that it fit comfortably among his albums, all great in their own way.

This is the album I really want.

12. Stephen Gleadall

Hear hear.

A very nice review and well written.

13. Tootles

Tootles New Member

Couldn't have said it better myself.

gregorya likes this.
  14. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Raving & Drooling

I'd never heard of this before... pretty sure I saw it in the bins back in the day and just avoided it, had mostly switched my collecting over to CD's at that point etc. Anyway, #$@% me... that Mark Plati guy really cheesed Run Like Hell up, kind of beyond words... like if Art of Noise were given the track but told to "keep it tame, radio friendly, no orchestra punches... but scratching, a bit of audience noise and a throbbing sequencer are a-ok, because we're Mercury Records and we have no idea how we got Roger Waters or, well, what we're doing at all really!" :edthumbs:

Ouch... but thanks for sharing, oh and nice review ;)

15. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

LOL...great analogy!

16. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

that was interesting, thx for the link!

I saw some other video for the same song that had two dancers, hounds running thru the snow, and a parking garage(?). not sure if it was official? it looked professionally done.

17. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

Check out the left channel at the beginning of the track Is This The Life We Really Want. I always thought it was just Trump rambling on about how great he is, blah blah blah. But right after he says CNN, Roger responds by annoyingly clearing his throat. Nice touch Roger! Oh, and the new video for Wait For Her is very well made however wouldn't have minded some longer band edits, but I guess that's not part of the songs narrative.

18. sonci

sonci Forum Resident

Why I hear it on the right channel?

19. Stephen Gleadall

Have you tried spinning your head through 180 degree before putting your cans on!

Max Florian, Josip and The_Windmill like this.
  20. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

21. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

22. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Incidentally, a couple of listens later and I think best Floyd release since Animals / The Wall...

PDK and Wyoming like this.
  23. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

I wonder when/if European dates will be announced...

deany76 and Solace like this.
  24. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

I think it is the best Floyd related work since WYWH, and I'm hardly a huge Waters fan I tend to gravitate way more towards Syd/Gilmour/Rick.

This album is surpeb in both lyrics, emotional pull and actual interesting musical content. RW dominated stuff tends to lack the musical content and flow but somehow with the Radiohead influence they cracked the code and got an album from RW that I actually really enjoy listening to from start to finish.

Remarkable he made an album this relevant and poignant and worthy at 74 years old.

25. sonci

sonci Forum Resident

I tried it when I first saw The Exorcist, but I couldn't..
    really, can anybody else check it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.