New Roger Waters album "Is This The Life We Really Want?" - June 2, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlanDistro, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

ytserush, Paulo Alm, LarsO and 2 others like this.
  2. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

PDK likes this.
  3. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

The CREEPY alarm/scream intro, breakdown in the middle, the random assorted speech samples!

Paulo Alm and fer2 like this.
  4. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Not to mention the spectacular segue out of the title track....

rontoon and driverdrummer like this.
  5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

"There's so much stuff that I've produced over the years that I never put out," the ex–Pink Floyd singer-bassist went on. "I don't really think about it. I'm focused now on what I'm doing, so I can't really remember why I didn't make a record for all that time. I have no idea."

Meaning the possibility of another album after the completion of the tour? Clearly he has the material.

6. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

I've always wanted to hear these tracks:

"Years ago – around the millennium, when I started touring again in 1999–2000 – I spent a month in Nassau and got some people to come there. It was the band with [guitarist] Doyle Bramhall II, and we cut six or seven tracks. There was one song that we recorded then that I really liked. But it was completely surreal. "Judgment Day dawns black/Furnished with smoke" – that was the first line. And it's on this record. It's called "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World.""

Zeki likes this.
  7. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yep. Means there's another five or six (and the original version of what became The Most Beautiful Girl).

Also, I find it interesting how sharp he is in recalling the various lyrics.

8. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

It tells me that he is not merely a songwriter. Every syllable he commits to artistically is deeply considered and meticulously intentional.

Very interesting.

It is well known Roger is not a jamming musician. His strengths lie elsewhere and with this album the intent appears to make Roger's strength "THE STRENGTH" of the work.

Do you still miss the guitar solos? I don't. Nigel forced Roger to really bring it here.... and I think he did.

There's no guitar solo or instrumental idea to pick up the slack. The songs really stand on their own.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Well said. No (on missing guitar solos), I think it's a very fine album. No changes necessary.

Billy Infinity, Wyoming and PDK like this.
  10. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

I wish there exists a band version of Flickering Flame. And that it would be released too!

ytserush, Sigma6 and AlanDistro like this.
  11. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I'm sure if I just go and open the comments section on that interview that it will be even-handed and thoughtful respon...oh.

12. floyd

floyd Senior Member

FYI. Amazon dropped the price on the vinyl of this album about 6 bucks.
    Not a smokin deal but now it is $25.67. I had been holding off on the vinyl just because I have a backlog of stuff to listen to on the turntable but the little price reduction prompted me to pull the trigger.

"Thought you'd like to know"

Bolero, PDK, Sigma6 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

does anyone know if the downloadable mp3 included with the LP is from the vinyl mix, or the CD mix?

14. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

There is only one mix however the vinyl has a better mastering. The MP3 download is the same mastering as the other digital releases.

Bolero likes this.
  15. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

I've listened to this album about a handful of times and while I do like much of it, like most of Waters' efforts, it takes awhile before I truly enjoy and appreciate it, so Amused to Death is still my favorite of his output, but Is This the Life...? could possibly surpass that with time.

fer2, ytserush and Zeki like this.
  16. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

I did!!

fer2 likes this.
  17. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

I find this song is very much in the manner of Another Brick in The Wall part 3. Nigel and Roger are once again exploring the tension and possibilities of an octave played repeatedly on the bass which always worked well on many Floyd and RW solo songs. But I can find such magic moments on The Endless River for instance as well which in places even provides hints to Ummagumma. I don't think this song is actually outclassing other Floyd related stuff of the last 30 years.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  18. Stephen Gleadall

Stephen Gleadall Forum Resident

I find it more exhilarating than any other Floyd related stuff of the last 30 years. Then again, I feel the same of the album as a whole.

19. Nick Brook

Nick Brook Forum Resident

I was a little surprised that Roger was so willing to give Nigel so much free reign to design the soundscape , it's a big step to take when in the past he's appeared to have been so meticulous in the control of his work.
    I have read somewhere , but I can't find the article again , that Roger now implies he might have preferred a more dynamic sound. I wonder if he's now considering a remix and re issue ?

He used to be very low profile , with very few interviews in the music press and only a few clips of him on utube. But now , he's all over social media like a rash.

20. Wyoming

Wyoming Well-Known Member

The stuff on TER is nice, but it sounds like a demo. Bird in a Gale is fully-realized song. I'd say it's the best thing since High Hopes, easily, and the best Waters song since Tigers or The Final Cut.

21. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Your right Roger rarely ever gave interviews. He's like all over now recently.

22. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Is this the 2LP edition?

vapor minor likes this.
  23. vapor minor

vapor minor Just don't...

Yes, it is. There isn't something else.

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  24. pinkchris1967

pinkchris1967 Exalted and Revered Member

I actually sent a personal message to the Waters Facebook page explaining that I've been a lifelong fan and I've missed him every time he's come to town. I asked for a complimentary ticket because they were so high and I couldn't afford them for both me and my wife. I figured it wouldn't be a big deal to accommodate one additional person as a complimentary gesture, but I was ignored. Still haven't seen him play live...

25. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

:yikes: I can think of materials from Pros and Cons, Radio K.A.O.S. and ATD which are vastly superior to that Bird in a Gale farce. Heck Each Small Candle is also way more compelling musically than hearing the train running on Bird in a Gale. You must be joking right?

Kalli likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.