New Roger Waters album "Is This The Life We Really Want?" - June 2, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlanDistro, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Really appreciate @Sigma6 posting the lyrics.

deany76 and Sigma6 like this.
  2. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Where can you preorder?

3. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

Amazon

4. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

The mix and the instrumentation / production is top-notch Floyd

The less said about the vocals the better - He looks about forty years younger than he sounds on record...

5. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

Same with me. I am pleased with the song but I was expecting killer sound like on Amused To Death. His voice is a bit buried in the background, isn't it. At least I am not struggling with too much highs and hisses like in places with the Early Years material.:D

rontoon likes this.
  6. Felix Atagong

Felix Atagong Forum Resident

Disappointing, if this is the 'hit single' to promote the album, I will say no, for the first time in four decades, to buy a Floydian product. I'm even more excited for the remastered Zee that is promised to be released.

7. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I like Smell The Roses. I am not expecting groundbreaking works from 70 year old artists. It is good enough for me if they produce something i like.

8. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

4th time through. "This is the room where they make the explosives; where they put your name on a bomb..."

And then hearing the footsteps as someone (the girl?) walks up the metal stairs...

9. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Seriously? Already multiple moaning over this song???
    It is the first major Roger Waters song since 1992!
    Are you all out of your mind???
    Of course it's trademark Waters/Floyd! What did you expect?
    That the guy would re-invent himself?
    If that is so, you must have totally ignored
    Pros And Cons, Radio KAOS and Amused To Death, plus all records of Pink Floyd after 1971!
    This is who he are and how he sounds and have done so since the seventies.
    Crazy to think otherwise.
    I'll bet you all at the same time fall over in joyness over McCartney or Dylan, Lou Reed, Neil Young or someone else, who has repeated themselves for over 40 years.

10. Meddler

Meddler Forum Resident

Lyrics about chimneys poking up at the sky? Have a Cigar chorus-verse transition? Dogs midsection? Lines from Have A Cigar's outro solo picked out and played slower?
    That's not a trademark style, that's explicitly referencing his past songs. I don't see why he's doing that, but perhaps it fits the concept somehow.

11. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Like...except for your last paragraph! :D There's plenty of folks who spend a great deal of time lamenting the deterioration of McCartney and Dylan's voice.

Side note: and Ian Anderson's vocals. He shouldn't sing anymore, or it's no longer authentic because he now has some young guy on some of the vocals. I guess it's tough to be an elderly musician! They get blasted no matter what.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  12. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

I've listened to it about six times now, and it's a grower! I like it quite a bit really! All 'the Floyd recycling' people have been talking about is actually a welcome change, when one considers how 'un-Floyd' his solo albums really sounded. There's simply nothing like that on Pros And Cons, Radio KAOS or Amused To Death, for starters. Can't wait for the new album!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    LarsO, xfilian and Zeki like this.
  13. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

I remember Roger saying in a recent interview that this song was written around the Battersea power station theme and that seems to fit. Particularly the part about venturing into the 'cupboard at the bottom of the stairs' middle section with the recurring dog barking. I like that a lot - here we are back in the dark depths of Battersea - back with the ruthless Dogs still doing their dirty deeds. That's what I get from it anyway, could be completely wrong. I suspect it will all become clear in a live setting, complete with some pretty special visuals I would imagine.

Sigma6 and Luckless Pedestrian like this.
  14. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

Four of the songs on the Amazon MP3 are now listed as "explicit". Hmm. Not surprised.

15. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I was surprised to find it late last night, but then realized it was the waning hours of 4/20. I wonder why he chose that day to post it up...:whistle:

We heard bits of past Floyd songs on The Endless River, too. Its what the Floyd want to do, apparently.

16. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

It's odd for sure. But it's an ironic reference; Waters reverses the order of the rhyme in Light My Fire ( pyre, then higher) and then the meaning of the original lines; instead of the girl experiencing spiritual ecstasy (high on love, sex, drugs or maybe all three), her existence goes up in flame and smoke, dissipates and disappears into the upper reaches of the atmosphere. Also the perspective changes from "we" to "you"; rather than a partner, the girl is now a victim.

mastaflatch, Hattipper and Zeki like this.
  17. After listening I agree. I will give the whole thing a go before resting on that idea in totality.

I do hope the lp doesn't wind up with me giving it the title "Is This The Album We Really Want?"

Felix Atagong likes this.
  18. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Hmm, this reminds me of "What Do You Want From Me."

;)

Saul Pimon and coffeetime like this.
  19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, and few would accuse Neil Young of resting on his laurels, repeating himself endlessly.

I had modest expectations going in, but I liked the new song pretty well on the first listen. The lyrics were thought provoking without being too heavy handed. Nothing terribly groundbreaking--what do you expect from an artist at this stage of his career?--but it's a solid, well crafted song delivered with commitment. There were nods to the past without sounding overly derivative, IMO.

Zeki likes this.
  20. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

I've never heard the words "funeral pyre" in any other song outside of this one and One Slip. What an odd coincidence!

21. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

Smell The Roses (Three Different Ones)

PDK likes this.
  22. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Pre-emptively judging any Floydian product based on what is advanced as a "hit single" is your first mistake.

23. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

I really like it. As far as those complaining about self-referential music/lyrics, Roger has been doing this for years. Example: Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking using the In the Flesh guitar line. Also, I don't get the complaints about Roger's voice. IMO he sounds much older on parts of Amused to Death from 25 years ago.

pablorkcz, DTK, Johnny Reb and 4 others like this.
  24. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Not a Doors fan?

klockwerk, Sigma6, utopiarun and 3 others like this.
  25. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Welcome back, mid-1970's Roger! :-D

Very interested in getting this album now!

Paulo Alm, Zeki and Andersoncouncil like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.