New Roger Waters album "Is This The Life We Really Want?" - June 2, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlanDistro, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

+ suprises

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  2. segue

[​IMG]
    some suprises

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  3. segue

[​IMG]

zinan and Pipi3 like this.
  4. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

Impressive pics, look8mg forward to seeing him in the UK next year.
    Gary

Pipi3 likes this.
  5. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

The live show was pretty great indeed. I went to Oakland last June with the family, including 2 young sons aged 7 and 4. They loved it. We had been playing TEY box contents quite a bit as well as all of the studio albums, so although young'uns indeed they were well familiar with all of the songs - including the new ones. As a life long fan it's a joy to see my little ones so into it, and at a way earlier age!

Just yesterday the little one (now 5) requested some Roger Waters, so I put on a recording of the show we attended. He even recalled certain videos that were playing during some of the songs - amazing! Even I don't remember it with that level of detail. lol.

The album is definitely a grower. Not to say I didn't like it at first, but the more I listen to it the more I appreciate it.

6. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Exactly my experience. It grows with every listen.

gregorya, Wyoming and Billy_Sunday like this.
  7. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

Pipi3 likes this.
  8. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

The suite Wait for Her - Oceans Apart - Part of Me Died has been played for the first time during the last show of this leg. Even though I am no fan of this final piece, I thought some of you would be interested in hearing it. At the moment, 2 videos are available on YT. Roger looked totally exhausted.

The second video is here: Roger Waters - Wait For Her / Part Of Me Died - First Live Performance

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  9. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Fabulous song, fantastic performance.

10. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

It only took him 2 months since he told Rolling Stone he was going to add it.

Sigma6 and rontoon like this.
  11. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I've just picked up the cd at a second-hand shop over the weekend just out of Floydian curiosity. I've never really liked much of what Waters did (I'm a Gilmour/Wright fanboy), but wow, I can't stop listening to this album for some reason. I enjoy its flow and mellow sound, and there is much more music than in his previous offerings. I love the production, but absolutely hate the over-compression. From what some of you who have the vinyl have been saying, and the DR11 over at the DR Database, I think I'll definitely get the vinyl this weekend. Never say never, as they say...

Thesmellofvinyl, Carlox and PDK like this.
  12. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I tend to disagree that this is "more musical" than Amused to Death which, IMHO, is considerably more musical in it's variety and dynamics. There's a sameness to many of the songs on Waters' new album. But happy that you like it. :righton:

13. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

Funny enough, it looks like the general consensus is that people who strongly enjoy listening to Roger's solo career (including The Final Cut) do not necessarily like Roger's last effort. Inversely, people who were not too keen on his solo career seem to enjoy the last album quite a bit. That's actually quite interesting. Musically, ITTLWRW does not do it for me. I was actually very disappointed upon its release, but got over the idea now. Oh well! Roger had a great career though.

Any chance the Us + Them Tour could be officially released someday?

Hardhog likes this.
  14. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Hell, I'd settle for a decent audience recording of the show I saw...I would have recorded it myself but given the way my phone works it was either take pictures/video or record the audio, I couldn't do both. Although given how crappy my pictures turned out, maybe I should have just recorded the audio of the show!:laugh:

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  15. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

It is interesting. It's not better or worse, just a difference in musical style or taste. I think a lot of socially-conscious artists have that polarizing effect. Lennon comes to mind.

16. Wyoming

Wyoming Well-Known Member

I'm in the boat that finds the newest album to be more musical than ATD.

17. Stephen Gleadall

Stephen Gleadall Forum Resident

Same here. Though I've got to say AtD is a great piece of work.

I'm still loving ITTLWRW. Deliberately put it aside for the past couple of weeks, then played it in full yesterday, and wow, what a beautiful piece of work.

This isn't just a Roger Waters masterpiece, its ANOTHER Roger Waters masterpiece, and for me, his masterpiece of masterpieces.

Cronverc, tedhead, Zeki and 5 others like this.
  18. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I must say that I liked the cd so much, I went to get the vinyl. At the rate that I'm spinning it, I'll probably have to ask for another copy for Christmas. It reminds me a lot of Steven Wilson's To The Bone, in that I can't stop listening to it due to the layers of sound involved...

19. Matt S

Matt S Forum Resident

I hadn't thought of it like that myself but that's a good comparison - both albums offer a critical perspective on the world in 2017, yet simultaneously end on a positive, hopeful note. Both albums are also, from a musical and production perspective, something of a departure from their previous albums but yet retain a familiar sound...

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  20. Stephen Gleadall

Stephen Gleadall Forum Resident

I've got the vinyl but haven't heard it yet since I currently don't have a turntable. I am investing in a TT for Christmas so have the pleasurable experience of listening to the vinyl to look forward to - can hardly wait.

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  21. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

That's great! You'll appreciate the extra dynamics for sure!

22. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

"This species has amused itself to death."
    Your idea of ending on a hopeful note is wildly different than mine.

The_Windmill and PDK like this.
  23. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I think he was referring to ITTLWRW and the Steven Wilson album

24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Ahh... I think you're right.

25. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

I think both albums (ITTLWRW by Waters and TTB by Wilson) you are mentioning are actually quite poles apart sonically speaking. While TTB encompasses a large amount of sound textures, and diversity in musical styles, ITTLWRW is fairly deprived from complex sound textures and offers a rather minimalist approach to music (e.g., the trio Wait for Her - Oceans Apart - Part of Me Died). As far as the production is concerned, I much prefer Wilson's approach than Godrich's. Just my 2 cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.