New Roger Waters album "Is This The Life We Really Want?" - June 2, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlanDistro, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

That sounds like pretty much where I was in Melbourne, Australia and it was perfect. Couldn't really appreciate the spectacle of the power station, but had a perfect view and possibly the best sound I've ever heard at a concert of that size.

BlueGangsta likes this.
  2. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I could not care less about the power station, as far as sound quality goes I/we were in the eighth row just right of centre at Earls Court in 1980 for a Wall show, that was the best sound (best seats too)I've ever heard in an "enormo-dome". Good sound for me is far more important than visual spectacle.

rontoon likes this.
  3. Stephen Gleadall

Stephen Gleadall Forum Resident

Could not agree more sir. Still getting plenty of AirPlay in this household and still loving it. This is most defineately his best solo work, a most beautiful album.

Billy_Sunday, PDK and PretzelLogic like this.
  4. Stephen Gleadall

Stunning indeed. Record collector gave this 10/10 describing it "A stunning accomplishment, as rich as anything he has managed"

BGLeduc, PDK and Echoes71 like this.
  5. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

One of the best albums last year, such a shame Roger can’t up his output given the quality of this record, would love a few more releases......

I love Amused to Death but really struggle with pros and cons.

Gary

Zeki likes this.
  6. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

My Dad (who is 85% responsible for my Floyd fandom), opined that in contrast to my view, he ranks the other three Waters albums equal first, and puts ITTLWRW somewhere below. He thinks it's 'too depressing'.

I haven't the heart to play him When The Wind Blows.

JulesRules and Stephen Gleadall like this.
  7. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

He’s in his 70’s...it’s amazing that he’s mananaged to produce anything approaching this quality and I would imagine, at his age, making records isn’t a priority...

8. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Reading these great reviews with a year of experience under your belts and I'm going to go back and give this album another listen. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance. Maybe I was in a bad mood or something!

PDK likes this.
  9. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

I'd love to hear your impressions(s).

Shaddam IV likes this.
  10. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

You definitely need to be in the right headspace for this one, all the more so on the first listen! I'm a bit picky anyway about when I listen to an album for the first time, but with this one in particular I just "knew" that I needed to wait for the right moment. It's almost like watching a movie. You really need all your focus and attention. Hope it makes a better impact the next time around!

M2225, Oyster Boy and Shaddam IV like this.
  11. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

I have said upthread that I had a shaky start with it (mainly the CD sound), but moved on and persevered and it became my favourite album of 2017. Lets face it, albums you 'get' in their entirety straight away are usually the ones you soon tire of and dump.

12. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

I still think that it's his most accessible album while Amused to Death remains his most compelling solo achievement. Both have their duds (Most Beautiful Girl and Three Wishes respectively, for me), Is This the Life... has the most obvious past references, both musically and lyrically but at the same time, it shows an artist at ease with his body of work and conscious that he's created (with a little help from his colleagues) a sonic and philosophical territory that very few others on this planet can retread or continue to explore without being accused of plagiarism. Like Amused to Death and The Final Cut (and unlike The Pros and Cons and Radio KAOS), Is This the Life We Really Want is an important album, not just for Waters career-wise but as an apt description of its era.

13. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

OK, I'm feeling brave enough; here's my 'When We Were Young' mix, which is essentially a virtual Floyd reunion. There're a few elements mixed in, but it's more or less a straight mashup with the first movement from The Endless River. It's a bit rough around the edges, but I don't fancy spending much more time with it.

When We Were Young (Things Left Unsaid Mix)

Vocals - Roger Waters
    Guitar, Bass - David Gilmour
    Keyboards - Rick Wright, Bob Ezrin
    Drums - Nick Mason
    Written by Gilmour/Waters/Wright

This is only going to be up for a couple of days, so enjoy it (or not) while it lasts.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    Oyster Boy, sgeery, zinan and 3 others like this.
  14. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Listening now. Pretty cool. Thanks!

15. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

I saw RW live last saturday. Awesome show.

16. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

That's OK, Roger was in a bad mood too!... :)

NunoBento, JulesRules and Shaddam IV like this.
  17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Nicely done! I wouldn't skip this one if it were on the album.

18. Stephen Gleadall

RockNRod likes this.
  19. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

You and I are on the same level with Pink Floyd LPs:righton:

20. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

Almost a year after the release and it still sounds fresh to my old Pink Floyd ears. Just finished listening to the 24-48 version, sounds better than I remembered. "Sometimes I stare at the night sky..."

Oh, "This is a fine tuned machine" :biglaugh:

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  21. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

Still his best for me... by far.

Billy_Sunday and Zeki like this.
  22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

The thread bump will have me spinning ITTLWRW vinyl this long weekend.

23. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Not long until I see him at Hyde Park - looking forward to that. Spinning the album again.

24. Stephen Gleadall

Agree wholeheartedly. Still sounds fresh to my ears.

25. Stephen Gleadall

I saw his DSOTM show at Hyde Park and it was brilliant, got a feeling his U&T Hyde Park show will be the UK gig of the year.
    My tickets for Manchester arrived in the post yesterday. Really looking forward to seeing him. I haven't missed a RW tour and have a feeling this could be his last - making it pretty special.

Billy_Sunday, Zeki, xfilian and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.