New Roger Waters album "Is This The Life We Really Want?" - June 2, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlanDistro, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephen Gleadall

Stephen Gleadall Forum Resident

Well, a year up Saturday last and I know this album will always be in my heart.

Zeki, NunoBento, Billy_Sunday and 3 others like this.
  2. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

This appeared on Superdeluxeedition website earlier today, perhaps posted on another thread but just in case so everyone has visibility:

Roger Waters / Is This The Life We Really Want? / limited green vinyl | superdeluxeedition

[​IMG]

To mark Roger Waters‘ Us and Them Tour, Sony are issuing a special numbered and limited green vinyl edition of Is This The Life We Really Want? – one of SDE’s favourite album of 2017.

The album is a solo career high for this writer (yes, I prefer it to Amused To Death) and it sounds particularly good on vinyl, it has to be said. Not only is this a limited edition (no word on numbers) but it’s actually rather cheap for a double at around £21 at the moment.

Whether you go for this green limited edition or not, I urge you to get into this album one way or another – it’s a very rewarding listen. This new green vinyl pressing is released on 6 July 2018.

3. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Just got my green vinyl preorder delivered from Amazon and disc one is badly warped (bowl shaped). Amazon are replacing it but has anyone else experienced this or have I just got an anomaly? It looked warped before I'd even sliced the shrink-wrap open :(

4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Yeah I'm a little slow...
    7 bucks shipped for the compact disc, why not? :laugh:
    Checked out some YT up's. Liked what I heard :)

5. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

My green arrived from Amazon today - it's very green.

I've also managed to luck out and get number 000028, which is the lowest numbered edition of anything I've ever had!

Terry, PDK, zinan and 2 others like this.
  6. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident Thread Starter

I ordered from Amazon UK but chose standard shipping so mine won't be here for another two weeks. Looking forward to seeing it though. In the meantime I'll just spin the standard black vinyl. :)

c-eling likes this.
  7. Nick Brook

Nick Brook Forum Resident

Just got my copy , no4244 , not opened it yet , but will report back after a few plays.

Anybody know where it's pressed?

8. KaiSchu

KaiSchu New Member

I received mine today and the second vinyl has a strange flaw.
    It has a black mark which does not affect the sound quality but does not look very nice.
    Would you return it?
    [​IMG]

9. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

When they 'marble' like that no two will be identical, that black mark is part of the unique randomness of it.

The_Windmill and KaiSchu like this.
  10. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

You have to ask yourself, is this the vinyl I really want?... ;)

dockofthebay, drum_cas, Zeki and 7 others like this.
  11. Stephen Gleadall

ITTLWRW Green vinyl - has anyone who's played this noticed any discernible difference in quality?

12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

You bought green marbled vinyl, and you want to return it because it's not marbled in a way you find aesthetically appealing? Hmmmm....

13. KaiSchu

KaiSchu New Member

I was just asking if this can be considered as a flaw since this is a black mark and the vinyl itself is green marbled.

14. Baidur

Baidur Forum Resident

Are there two pressings? I see pictures of green marbled ones here. And a video of a single green coloured one on the Dutch Record Store Day facebook page.

15. Nick Brook

I've had a good listen to my copy , both discs play beautifully quiet with no unwanted noise of any kind . Very lush pressings.

16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

No. But I don't buy coloured vinyl out of choice. You often get bits of black or another colour in 'coloured' vinyl. I would say the marbling is a bit skimpy on that one. If it plays clean all is fine.

KaiSchu likes this.
  17. OneLife

OneLife There’s Bowie, & then everybody else

Yes I've got number 27! again from Amazon.
    Slight noise on the first two sides but nothing too severe. I'll give it another clean on the OK but even if no improvement I'll keep it as it's only noticeable on the run in and not too bad.

PretzelLogic likes this.
  18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Is there any difference in the sound quality compared to the standard black version? I'm sorry, huge fan, but this just screams cash cow all over the place, especially being released this long after it originally came out. With that said, I understand why some want to collect this. Prefer ATD big time, but I really like ITTLWRW very much!

Carlox likes this.
  19. Nick Brook

I think the green version I'm listening to has clarity over the black one I have .It's just a better pressing . It's also got very little surface noise and no clicks tics or pops at all. So in this instance I'd favour the green over the black.

Baidur and scotti like this.
  20. magister345

magister345 Forum Resident

i did not buy this album originally but was a sucker for the green vinyl... this lured me to buy it!
    my number is 010298, so it is not really that limited...

21. Baidur

Baidur Forum Resident

Only played a few tracks. Doing a thorough listening later. But I get the same impression. Better pressing as my black one.

22. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

Returning to this over a year later and it still stands up, infact I think I like it even more.

Still for me clearly the strongest Floyd related album since TFC, I can see all the elements of that album and Rog's 3 other solo efforts here, it's undoubtedly a Roger Waters album.

Although I think Godrich has done wonders for the final product, don't get me wrong I love ATD and until this dropped was my favourite post Waters PF project but this for me has eclipsed it.

I think you get the best moments of the previous 3 but without the bombast and the bloat, no guest stars, just pure Waters. Who needs guitar solos over and over again when you have Rog's compelling voice and some of the best lyrics of his career. Also it makes the solo on Smell The Roses that more rewarding the way it flies in after the Animals like segment is just delicious.

It still feels timely, Godrich also got him to embrace using those motifs, some have said it's too far and yes of course Smell The Roses has Have a Cigar and Animals quite blatantly as a template but it works and if anyone is going to reuse those elements it's Mr Waters who should be the one to do it.

Godrich's input is key to why this sounds as good as it does, somewhat more slimline and to the point but not afraid to indulge in some throwbacks to the Floyd.

Such a rewarding listen and far more compelling than anything that has come from any member of Floyd past and present since The Final Cut. I liked RTL but this has some real balls and I think far more longevity.

23. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

I couldn’t have put it better myself.

Nick Brook and spintheblack72 like this.
  24. Stephen Gleadall

Fell in love with this beautiful album soon after it's release, and now...………………….it's maturing like the finest of fine wines.

spintheblack72 and Nick Brook like this.
  25. Loved it from the 1st play. For me, key phrase here, “for me”, is that Goodrich’s work here and elsewhere hammers home the point that big DR numbers aren’t everything.

Nick Brook likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.