New Roger Waters album "Is This The Life We Really Want?" - June 2, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlanDistro, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wyoming

Wyoming Well-Known Member

I bet he got into it with Nigel on that one. It's a great, great way to date the record.

Six Bachelors and PDK like this.
  2. Wyoming

Wyoming Well-Known Member

Pink Floyd's work has aged far, far better than their peers. The production, lyrics, tone, everything. It's no surprise to me that David, and Roger, when put into a room with a guy who isn't afraid to say NO, can still come up with great work.

When that guy isn't present, they produce indulgent pieces of crap like "Today" and "Radio Waves".

I cannot think of another artist, except for perhaps Bob Dylan or Radiohead who has produced as compelling and relevant work. Zeppelin relied too much on blues, and had cheezy cock-rock style (which Waters lampooned on "Young Lust"). The Stones had huge holes in all their albums. The Who? Lol. Queen? Not consistent enough. All the prog rock bands are a sad joke.

coffeetime and PDK like this.
  3. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

Their heads are far up their own asses... of course it takes an ego to do what Waters tries to do.

4. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

While I'll readily admit that PF's body of work has endured the test of time in a stunning way, I don't know but I don't like blanket statements like that (all the prog rock bands are a sad joke). A generalization of that kind is false by definition and I approach those with suspicion even if I agree to some extent.

You cannot prove that an artist is great by saying another one sucks. In fact, you cannot prove that any artist is as good as you think it is. Add this kind of arrogance to your subjectivity and you're bound to convince people that you plainly lack positive arguments to back you up. /end rant

5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Hear, hear! I just was on another thread where this same thing happened. And, to take it even further, it's possible to talk about an artist without bringing any other artist into the conversation. :D

The_Windmill, mastaflatch and Kalli like this.
  6. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

I think history does that for us... regardless of who any one person thinks is great or sucks.... and Pink Floyd is great if historical relevance is the non-subjective gauge that I believe it to be.

What's great to you or me is subjective.... what's relevant and time withstanding... is a true demonstration of greatness and relevance.

Of course some of us recognize greatness before time proves us right.... and some of us like prog. :)

(J/k I listen to YES a lot)

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  7. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Well put, very well put.

8. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

I think that crap can also have an amazing time withstanding.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  9. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

You think? Must be pretty great crap. We should aspire to such crap.

Time is the only non-subjective gauge.

10. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

Time on its own does nothing. It's always opinions. And I don't give very much on main stream.

11. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

Time reveals every unique person, place or thing's impact on their target demographic moving forward from inception. It could be societal, musical, technological, philosophical, etc.

Impact could be a community to the whole world (or mainstream)

Probably 99.9% of people in this world will never leave a mark or impression.

Main stream certainly represents a large portion of the population and to impact that in any way... is great.

When I use "great" I refer to the definition in the dictionary. Not the subjective misuse that I think is diluting this discussion slightly. "Great" not being a subjective thing.

Great - of an extent, amount, or intensity considerably above the normal or average.

The problem with admitting greatness you don't appreciate or respect is it forces you to look at your own areas of opportunity. It does to me anyway.

I get an occasional message from a guy who thinks I'm an a-hole. I think it is because of the voice he projects onto my words. Imagine Mr. Spock reading my words and that would be closer to my actual intent of delivery.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  12. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Wow, all this talk about how Roger and Dave need somebody to come in and tell them what to do, how to do it and when to do it. At this point in their careers the do not Need Anything. If they want somebody to come in and advise them such as Roger did on his new album that is his choice. These guys are wealthy, successful, and have earned their place in music history long ago. They do what they do because they want to, not because they need to. If they are happy with the way their album comes out that is all that counts. If you do not like it, don't listen to it. They owe you Nothing at all. They do not need to live up to other peoples expectations at this point in their careers. Be lucky we get anything at all from them.

utopiarun likes this.
  13. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

:::::Decloaking:::::

My thoughts so far based on the official release of the three songs are generally positive. It feels like a Roger Waters album and not a bunch of hired guns. After playing these songs at least 20 times each they keep getting better, which is a good sign. There's a lot of subtleties and great lyrics to soak in. I can't wait to put the album on and listen to it with my Audio-Technica M50x's with no distractions and listen to it like it was 1979. Is June 2nd the life we really want? Do you hear dogs barking? I do!

In the mean time:

:::::Cloaking:::::

petem1966, wayne66, tedhead and 3 others like this.
  14. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

Okay, now I think I've got it. Greatness in your sense is to be not average and to have a huge impact on a large fraction of society. I thought it was originally used in the sense of high quality or beauty, which of course cannot just be proved by historical relevance or "greatness" as you might say.

15. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

You can't swing a dead cat in a discussion of Pink Floyd without it turning into a "Waters VS Gilmour" debate at some point, that's just the way it is:laugh: Of course at this point in their careers they don't need to do anything, Roger Waters and David Gilmour left their artistic mark on the world over fourty years ago, everything since has just been gravy (both good and bad gravy, granted)

coffeetime likes this.
  16. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Let me help you out. A certain respected Pink Floyd author's opinion...

Well, I’ve listened to this twice through now, and I have to agree with you Ron. It’s tuneless, directionless and goes nowhere. A bit like any Radiohead album after OK Computer (Cheers Nigel). I thought it was the most boring record I’ve listed to in... I can’t think when. What is this man prattling on about that couldn’t have been covered in two songs? We’ve waited how long for this? It is the flattest sounding collection of moans and groans and boring drivel imaginable. Almost every track sounds the same as the last. It’s nothing I’ve not heard before and whatever miserable half-baked derivative sub-Floyd tune he manages to extract out of each “song” is crushed out of all existence by his strained and strangled out of tune vocal, which sounds a bit like my neighbour’s cat with an anvil resting gently on its rib cage. At one time Waters could really deliver a brilliant concoction of angst, hatred and bile – which is what made those Floyd albums we all know and love so great - but this just sounds like some mad ****er gasping for what little piss-**** oxygen there left in this ballsed-up world to feed his world view (which broadly speaking I find morally agreeable; it’s just that no ****er is listening). Back to the album, and the real travesty of this disaster zone is that in a recent Uncut magazine interview Waters was complaining that he believes he never got enough credit for the music on PF’s records. Jesus Hunchback Christ, I wonder why?

17. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

LOL Like Roger went from a skilled melody maker of exceptional musical knowledge to..... this derivative travesty he has become.

Thanks - I think I understand now.

I guess respected PF authors have their heads up their asses too.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Billy_Sunday, ammoj2 and Zeki like this.
  18. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

So... he kinda liked it?

PDK, Zeki and The_Windmill like this.
  19. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

20. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

21. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

WTF!

22. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

My point was that not everyone agrees with you, especially your flat out assessment that no one could possibly dislike this album. And to insult someone else's opinion by disrespectfully arguing that their heads are up their asses, well then I guess the same could be said about your opinion as well.

Billy_Sunday, Kalli and PDK like this.
  23. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

PDK likes this.
  24. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

Totally get that. Not a knock on you.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  25. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

To be honest Ron, that review comes across not just as negative but fairly hostile and their is a difference. To be honest, I was expecting more of this than there has been. Roger's views on a wide spectrum of issues have made him plenty of enemies over the years and that review speaks to me of someone whose dislike for Roger is rather intense.

On a more positive note - five out of five from the FT.

OOPS - sorry seems you have to subscribe. Here it is.

The world of barriers, authoritarianism and hatred of the young that Roger Waters imagined in his Pink Floyd magnum opus The Wall has returned to haunt us in the present era, when pop concerts and nightclubs are turned into scenes of mass murder by psychopathic jihadists and drones kill more innocents in pursuit of other psychopathic jihadists. “It’s never really over,” Waters announces mordantly at the start of Is This the Life We Really Want? His first solo album in 25 years is fuelled by the sense of injustice that came to dominate his work in Pink Floyd. But whereas the combination of grievance and ego could be overblown in the past, like the thump of a fist on a table, here the results are gripping. “The Life We Really Want” sounds like Pink Floyd jamming with Radiohead, whose producer Nigel Godrich is present behind the controls for Waters. “The Last Refugee” is a stately ballad sung with feeling in the character of a refugee braving the Mediterranean. “Picture That” employs the optimistic chimes of a 1970s synthesiser to soundtrack a world of dwindling hopefulness. Sampled sounds — radio broadcasts, seagulls, pilots whooping over explosions — are layered through the songs, a background hubbub to Waters’ singing. Although roughened by age, his voice remains formidable, still able to grip like a vice with a sudden cry of despair or defiance. The former mood predominates in songs about fear-ruled politics, militarism and terrorism, abraded with Waters’ “a plague on both your houses” fury. But there is warmth in Is This the Life We Really Want? too, ending with the suggestion that fellow feeling is the key to overcoming “silence, indifference — the ultimate crime.”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.