New Roger Waters album "Is This The Life We Really Want?" - June 2, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlanDistro, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Good point. (And I'm a fan with a Philly ticket who's buying the album.)

2. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

\
    We live in extreme and specifically divisive times. Waters has always made comments and/or lyrics based upon the social climate at the time.
    That's how he expresses himself. It seems that most of the posts here that are anti-Roger are from those who feel musicians should "shut up and sing", or simply don't agree with the way he is relentless about his views. If either is the case, you're not going to like or be interested in any new music or statement from him. That's fine as we all are not the same, but it seems a waste of time to decry waters because if it.

3. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I am over the moon to be getting both a new Roger Waters album and the Grateful Dead at Cornell '77 this coming spring!!!

dsky, tedhead, driverdrummer and 2 others like this.
  4. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

It's been far TOO long... simply can't wait for this. Long live Roger!

5. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Dave K. posted this on FB...I don't know what to say...

"Unfortunately not... it was decided ahead of time not to have any guitar solos on it."

6. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

Now that's definitely a shame.

7. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Ol' Jimmy "I'd like to be seen playing guitar soon" Page?

I'm definitely interested in this album. In 2015, Roger debuted 3 new originals: Lay Down Jerusalem, Crystal Clear Brooks, and Safe And Sound.

I don't have a ticket for the tour as of yet. Sitting on the fence, more for personal reasons than anything against Roger.

8. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

I absolutely get what you're saying, rhetorically but I don't think that it's based on Waters' actual output but more on a perception of it culled from a handful of songs, interviews and some controversial stage props and projections.
    Most of his songs still hold a universal message albeit expressed in a less plain and sibylline way than on Wish You Were Here and before. He grew more verbose but I don't think that it's been to the detriment of artistry. Amused to Death is a masterpiece to me and when I listen to it now, I don't necessarily think of the Gulf War - the message is still relevant today - more than ever in fact - and the subject matters that Waters tackled with at the time required elaborated mise en scène to make their impact. It works for me anyway and I still recognize the guy that wrote the lyrics to DSOTM in there.

9. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Excellent point. At his peak in the 70s, Waters typically found the right balance between the personal and the political, crafting songs that were universal enough to withstand a broader interpretation. In the 80s, he seemed to fall into the topicality trap, beating you over the head with a big message (I had similar issues with Lennon in the 70s), while simultaneously feeling compelled to make everything into a grand conceptual statement. I'm not trying to be too much of a skeptic here, but for his first solo album in decades (and possibly his last), I hope that he finds the right balance. Maybe in these tumultuous times, we could use a little less heavy grandstanding and a little more thoughtful introspection.

Max Florian, rontoon, Runicen and 4 others like this.
  10. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

I can't stop laughing at this...

11. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Does this mean he's finally milked every possible drop of juice from The Wall ? I love Roger Waters and I'm definitely on board for the new album but Jeez Louise...

D.D.

12. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

Still there is somthing left of the juice: I heard he is willing to play The Wall at the Mexican border. :uhhuh:

shmuckler, 2trackmind and quicksrt like this.
  13. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

New album only coming out because DT will make PF pay for "The Wall"! Jokes aside, I really hope he finds the right balance between universality and his recently contentious political grandstanding.

14. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Are 'Lay Down Jerusalem' and 'If I Had Been God' two different songs, or are they one and the same?

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Looks like analog 24 track machine back there on the side. Whatever the album themes may be, you know it will have knock-out sonics.

Make sure your speakers are in good shape, and you have a new stylus is you are going for the LP pressing.

davesmoked and CrazyCatz like this.
  16. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

One and the same.

Sytze likes this.
  17. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

The no guitar solo's idea could be the making of the album, rather than the usual what we expect from Waters and PF staple it's quite brave to remove an element so recognised with their music.

Can you imagine Gilmour holding back on solos, I can't imagine it but I think their critics use this as an excuse to have a knock at times you can pretty much tell when they are coming, don't get me wrong I really like RTL much more than OAI but the solo's were on the whole sign posted, not that this is a problem it's part of DG's way and we love him for it.

Now if Rog can deliver an album that is compelling and not fall back on the usual cliches that might be something special and stand out from the usual sound we expect from the PF family.

Then again it's a worry to what will replace it, face it I'm pretty sure he'll get a critical kicking but I remember ATD being mauled but 20 years or so on it's still here and caused a great fuss when it was reissued and got some positive reviews, more postive than when it was originally released.

I'm not chomping at the bit for it but I will look forward to it.

18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Based on the clip Amused To Death part II? Will it also be in Q sound? :)

Amused To Death went under the radar for me. I just don't recall hearing or reading about it and stumbled by chance on the vinyl while thumbing through the racks of the old Coventry HMV. I also remember finding a new first press of 'Suzanne Vega' at the same time (early 1993).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  19. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

I'm actually a Cov lad and was working in my first music store aged 19 at time, the short lived and amusingly titled 4 Play in the West Orchards shopping centre, went onto work in the Virgin Megastore in Cov for several years after that.

20. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

What makes you so sure? Roger's last album with Nigel was very average.

rontoon likes this.
  21. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

I preferred Waters when all he wanted was a dirty woman. :)

Tor33rpm and JoelWat like this.
  22. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

Now that is something that intrigues me. When I saw Gilmour live last year, it was a fantastic show, however, when it was over, my first feelings were, guitar solo after guitar solo after guitar solo...ok David, I get it already.....

HumanMedia likes this.
  23. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i want to hear a single first

24. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Amuses to Death was A great album.
    The new one I Will buy it, but If it Will be A Good one?
    It't A long pad from amused to Death till This one. I hope he collaborates with the right players.
    Jeff Beck was A Good choice in 1992. It gave the album colour and charm.

davesmoked, Carlox and Zeki like this.
  25. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Eh, I didn't think the Pros and Cons album was a grand conceptual statement, but a pretty good "concept" (that the Floyds actually liked better than "The Wall")
    Radio Kaos was a lot different, obviously more political than Pros/Cons.
    Again a unique concept, but Roger threw too many issues into that album, although one, the downsizing of the work force to increase financial gain for those at the top, especially resonates today.
    And fwiw, Roger was 15 years ahead of Tom Petty's "The Last DJ" in taking up DJ Jim Ladd's issue with corporations telling him what to play for financial gain.

Personally, I don't mind the heavy grandstanding.
    People today are beaten senseless and over-stimulated by various forces, looking to push and pull them.
    I'd rather be subjected to artists and musicians doing this to me, versus news networks or God forbid, the government.

Billy_Sunday, Kalli and footlooseman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.